Psu in Bad shape:(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the PSU is Active PFC, shouldn't it just be fine with voltage all over the place but within the specs? Why would you even bother with a power conditioner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the PSU is Active PFC, shouldn't it just be fine with voltage all over the place but within the specs? Why would you even bother with a power conditioner.

that was my thought, and OP seems to agree at this point

he is still wanting us to help him pick a UPS for those, probably frequent, times when the utility fails him altogether

unfortunately I only have limited experience with APC consumer grade products up to 1500VA, I find those OK, but the batteries only last 1.5-2 years

Start a new thread with that title.

I rarely buy a new UPS as they last a very long time, so I cannot speak about the quality of modern units for home use.
For the last 10 years+ I've been using an old one I was given and just replace the batteries every 5 years or so.
But I dont need to use it when the power is down very often, when it is I just power off.
As your mains power is so problematic, you may need one with pretty high power storage to maintain uptime.

Be sure to state your exact issue and the cause in the new thread.

Thanks for your suggestion.But I think I have decided on the APC 600 VA unit.

Be sure to check the watts that the UPS can supply, it typically is much less than the VA rating.
Remember to figure in the power supply efficiency when you compute the load on the UPS.

The 600va gives 360w. what va rating should I look at considering I will be having a 560w psu?
also 5-10 min of backup is enough for me.

Taking a guess at what what power draw you will put on the UPS, and using the APC tool I came up with a 700VA for 8 minutes and a 1000VA for 14 minutes.

That's using a 300w power draw, I'm guessing your pc plus monitor will draw 200-300w so i used 300w for the draw in the APC tool.

I don't see a video card in your sig, if you have an add in video card you'll need to add the TDP of the card to your power draw.

You should also take into account that is with brand new batteries, over time they will degrade and the run time will diminish as well. .

Sorry but I forgot to mention that I am having a separate ups for the monitor.
This new ups will be for the pc only(speakers excluding).
I dont have a gpu at the moment.Will 360w will be enough if I consider a 600va
after putting a mid range gpu like 760,660ti?

The 660ti and 760 have a TDP of about 150-170, that is draw from the PSU, figure in another 30 watts to make that power, that becomes 200 watts max.

Take away the power draw for you monitor as it on another UPS, and the high range guesstimate is pushing about 450 watts maximum. That seemed way too high based on my experience so I looked up some reviews and the total draw for a system with a single 760 is between about 330 and 360 watts. That's why guesstimates suck :) But if you figure your load on the high side you wont be surprised when your UPS cant keep the system running.

With the power draw so close to the max of the UPS, I'd recommend you go bigger on the UPS. The 600va might do the job now, but as soon as that battery gets a little age on it, it wont.

I remember seeing a forum post a few years ago where a guy took a big UPS like a 1500va APC and hooked up a sealed car battery to it. You might try to find that post or a how-to online for that. Find a used UPS with bad batteries for cheap and go that route.

Depends what he wants 10 minutes uptime for.
If he is gaming and quits gaming when the power outage strikes, he only has to consider mostly idle power consumption.
This will be probably around 100 to 130W.

If he continues gaming, then your figures are closer.

A car battery on an UPS is a great idea as long as you are aware of the perils.
If the battery is low on power, it should be removed and charged with a car battery charger when the mains power returns.
Letting the UPS recharge the battery can harm the UPS recharging circuits, its too great a load for too long unless its a high power UPS that is designed for heavy recharging.
If you can follow this, it will give you a much greater uptime when the mains is down.

Its not at all for gaming, just for saving the odd office docs or any other imporatant work that I might
be doing.
Like the idea of a car battery but not so enthusiastic about, would like a proper ups:D
considering these things should I go with the 600va?

Last edited:
Got the psu today.so far so good.Didnt had much time to play with it though.
rails at +12.19,+3.376,+5.040 at the current load levels.

So doez the asus anti surge protection actually work?
I guess it protected my system twice from failure as in both the cases the psu
was the culprit. I mailed to asus support and they asked me to keep the protection on.

Last edited:
Back