• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU humming loudly

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
2FA
Joined
May 13, 2013
Messages
6,942
Hey all, just finished ripping my rig apart for cleaning, re-doing the water loop, changing fans, and getting ready for the new guts on Monday.

Got it back together with the new loop and pump and turned it on to run all day tomorrow to leak check and bleed.

My PSU is now making a loud whiny humming noise, but it isn't as high pitched as coil whine that I've heard.

PSU has been great for the last 2 years, including this morning before I shut it down.

Is it possible it's because there is nearly no load on it? Only thing running at the moment is fan controller with 3 80mm's @ 50%, and the MCP655 , Sound is definitely coming from the PSU as the same setup was running on an old 250w out of a dell I use for component testing and was silent.

PSU for reference http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190021, as I said not a peep out of it in 2 years, including at 11A< today before I ripped the pc apart.

Thoughts?

~Rich
 
Is it electrical or fan whine?
Maybe the bearings are going bad?
 
It's an older Superflower design, so I wouldn't expect it to be a crappy unit.

I think I'm going to agree with Fear, stop the fan with a toothpick and see if the noise stops. Might be that simple.
 
Back
Top