• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU Help

diztrukted

n00b
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Messages
36
So I'm currently building my computer and I'm not sure how to install the PSU properly. I'm sure it's fairly obvious but heres my dilemma.

I'm using a CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX which is non-modular, and my chassis is a mid-sized tower. So the first problem to come up is not having enough space, secondly the SATA cords that go to HDD come with three plugs on one cord- is it ok to just use that one cord for the HDD's or should I use two cords and one plug on each? There are also different cords in there and I have no clue where they go except for the 24-pin one that goes to the m/b.

Thanks in advanced for your help.:D
 
Yes, 24pin to motherboard.
There may also be an additional 4-8pin cable with yellow and black wires, additional 12V for motherboard.
There may be another additional tiny connector with likely 2 tiny wires, yellow and black IIRC, going to a 3 pin plug. It's for your power supply fan, so the motherboard can monitor power supply fan speed. Find the appropriately marked header on your motherboard.

You may have a 6-8pin connector that goes to your graphics card.

You can use just one cord for the hard drives and optical drives. They pull minimal power and there is no downside to putting them all on the one cable. The upside is it makes wiring much easier, much less blocking airflow.

All the extra you have, bundle it up, zip-tie it up somewhere secure out of the airflow paths.
 

wish i saw this before- anyways, I quickly read through the guide and i definitely didn't put the I/O Shield back in. is it okay to open this thing up and pull out? Do I even need to put the I/O Shield in?

25660_505096511762_138100335_30136781_1370992_n.jpg


29042_505104865022_138100335_30137151_1256878_n.jpg


29042_505105528692_138100335_30137157_3231974_n.jpg
 
eh, not really necessary these days. many people don't bother with it. thanks for the pics, btw! hope you tied up those wires, though.
 
eh, not really necessary these days. many people don't bother with it. thanks for the pics, btw! hope you tied up those wires, though.

I've tried, there isn't much room there...there are a few velcro cable ties in there though.

also, what OS should I be running. Obviously something 64-bit but as far as W7 Pro and W7 Ultimate does it matter?
 
Someone told you a lie. Home edition is just as good as Pro & Ultimate. You just lose out on the virtual XP mode & some minor networking & security features that as kind of lame.
 
Someone told you a lie. Home edition is just as good as Pro & Ultimate. You just lose out on the virtual XP mode & some minor networking & security features that as kind of lame.

ok so I've gone with my 64-bit home edition. Now I have one other problem and I don't know if I should put it in here or start a new thread about it as it relates to the BIOS.

Basically, I started up my new build last night with the OEM version of W7 in the CD ROM drive- I go straight into the BIOS to put in the proper settings and under the BOOT tab it'll say BOOT PRIORITY or HDD BOOT PRIORITY (something close to that) in that menu, I made so it looks into the CD-ROM drive first, SSD second, and the third is disabled. Then there's a another menu, I can't recall the actual name of it but I remember that it asks you to put the HDD/CD-ROM DRIVE/SSD in order. I basically put that in the same order as the menu I mention before.

After all the settings have been changed, I boot up and it says No Hard Disk Drive found, please insert BOOT MEDIA and press any key (again I don't remember the exact wording). So basically it can't find the CD-ROM drive to boot from, but it's clearly listed, along with my other drives, in the BIOS.

Again, I didn't know whether or not to start a new thread or continue in this one. Thanks in advanced!
 
Last edited:
this thread is fine. Is the optical drive being detected during the POST screen? If you don't see the post screen, turn off the full logo display during boot within the bios. If it is not being detected, try another cable and/or another sata port.

btw, what parts are you using?
 
Yeah, that's what I thought too but I think someone once told me that for a gaming PC it's recommended that i go with ultimate (but boy is that expensive), anyways thanks enginurd W7 Home Edition it is.
They are horribly wrong. Any edition of Windows works great for gaming. Ultimate is a major rip-off.
 
this thread is fine. Is the optical drive being detected during the POST screen? If you don't see the post screen, turn off the full logo display during boot within the bios. If it is not being detected, try another cable and/or another sata port.

btw, what parts are you using?

I don't know if what I was looking at was the POST screen or not, but on boot up it goes right to the ASUS express gate interface/os. It looks similar to this
asus_in.jpg


+ Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz
+ MoBo - ASUS P6X58D
+ HSF - CPU HEATSINK COOLER MASTER RR-UV8-XBU1-GP
+ SSD - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSD
+ GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
+ HDD1 - Western Digital Caviar Internal Hard Drive
+ RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin
+ PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
+ HDD2 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
+ DVD DRIVE - DVD±/CD-RW: Samsung SH-S223F
+ Chassis - Thermaltake Element T

What mode do you have your HDD's in?

AHCI mode
 
Last edited:
AHCI mode should work fine with those parts. There's a section to choose the HDD boot order, then a section to choose the overall boot priority, where it will only list all the HDD's as a single choice. Set the first boot device to onboard SATA CDROM, then the second to HDD, and disable the rest. Set your HDD boot order as SSD first, then the drives second/third or disabled. If you still can't boot to the Windows installer, try a liveCD or a memtest CD.
 
so I did everything as you said enginurd, everything seems to work fine. only thing is for some reason i can't see all my hdd under my "My Computer" tab. but they are all listed in the device manager.
 
so I did everything as you said enginurd, everything seems to work fine. only thing is for some reason i can't see all my hdd under my "My Computer" tab. but they are all listed in the device manager.

go to the search & type "computer management" then click on "storage" & then click on "disk management". You may have to define the partitions & format the drives there.
 
[start/win]+R, type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. initialize, partition, and format as needed.
 
go to the search & type "computer management" then click on "storage" & then click on "disk management". You may have to define the partitions & format the drives there.

[start/win]+R, type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. initialize, partition, and format as needed.

Thank for all your help guys, I'll do this asap and I'll keep you updated on the situation as problems arise (which I'm sure they will).
 
[start/win]+R, type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. initialize, partition, and format as needed.

just tried this and for the other hdd's it says they are unallocated.

What am I supposed to click on to define them?

Also when I right click on it, the options New Simple Volume, New Mirrored Volume, New Striped Volume, New spanned volume.

I'm confused as to which one i use here.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top