PSU Gone Bad?

dia19

Gawd
Not sure how to really describe this so here I go.

Computer randomly restarts now and then, I've tried replacing the hard drive but eventually it starts doing it again on a new hard drive. With my luck though, it could be two bad hard drives but im not counting on that. Thankfully I have a few computers I can use.

My 2nd thought would be the PSU. I tested the voltage lines

The 5v lines ranges from 4.88 to 5.10V on different lines. The 12V ranges from 12.29 to 12.39V on different lines. Is this a problem? I'm not sure how to really test a PSU to see if its the source of the problem or not. I have an Enermax 431W PSU (EG465P-VE).

I believe 431W to be enough to control the hardware that I have. I used to run it on a 300W Antec PSU which was pushing it but it still worked. Any ideas?

Specs
----------
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9500PRO
AMD 2800+
GeIL Value 512MB PC3200
1 x 120gb 7200RPM
1 x 80gb 7200RPM
1 x 20gb 7200RPM
Liton 40x12x48 CDRW
Liton 4x DVD+-RW
PCI ATA133 Controller Card

I get shutdowns after about 20 mins of hard game usage. I have a really crappy 350w psu that came with my case. Im running an xp 3200, nf7, a gig mushkin 3200 and a vanilla 6800. Also 3 hard drives.

I was really hoping this psu would fix my problems. Hopefully it's not the psu that is malfunctioning here. This is the exact model I was looking to buy. Im not sure what else would cause the shutdowns though. Windows seems to run fine for 8 hours + while games seem to shut it down very quickly.

Memory. Try your rig with only one stick of RAM and see if the problem can be reproduced.

jonnyGURU said:
Memory. Try your rig with only one stick of RAM and see if the problem can be reproduced.

Sry just saw the reply. Only problem is I only have 1 stick of memory in the machine.

Are those voltage lines reasonable?

Back