PSU for htpc/fileserver

Ugly_Jim

Limp Gawd
I'm going to put together a fileserver/htpc with 4-6 drives in RAID5. It will probably have two overclocked/watercooled XP-Ms, a couple of optical drives, a geforce4 mx(or something else?), and a tv tuner/video capture card. I plan to do a lot of video encoding, too.

I was thinking that I would just get a 550w fortron, and split the cables as necessary. It doesn't matter if I use splitters, right? Also, is it possible to buy a cheaper PSU and still have it power this thing?

edit: what's a good case that has at least 8 internal 3.5" bays?

Ugly_Jim said:
It doesn't matter if I use splitters, right?
It's not a big deal if you only have a couple of drives per splitter. Don't daisy chain splitters onto one Molex-type connector though--that's asking for trouble.
Also, is it possible to buy a cheaper PSU and still have it power this thing?
Possible? Yes. Recommended? No. To me, the file server is the most precious computer in my network. A power supply failure could put my data at risk, and I am not going to comprimise my data to save a couple of bucks. What you do is up to you, but I don't recommend skimping on the power supply, especially if it's for a file server.

You're absolutely right. I'd probably cry if I lost this array :'-( I'll bite the bullet and buy a $90 PSU.

I thought fortron and sparkle were the same, but their 550w versions have one major difference. The sparkle has 36 amps on the 12v rail, while the fortron only has 18. They cost approximately the same, and are both FSP group.

Actually, the one that has an 18 amps maximum on the 12 volt supply rail has two independent 12 volt rails of 18 amps each, one dedicated for the CPU and motherboard, and another dedicated for hard drives, optical drives, fans, etc. So, in effect, it too has a 36 amp current max.

ok, so the fortron that says it has 18 amps on the 12v rail is the better choice?

It's a toss-up, really. Just go with the cheaper one between the Sparkle and the Fortron. Even with a decent system like yours, you are unlikely to push the performance envelope of either supply.

Back