PSU for gaming machine with Antec Nine Hundred Two case

killerz298

Weaksauce
I will be rocking a mildly overclocked i5 2500k with a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo and 8 gb of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. I will also have 1 SSD and 1 Spinpoint F3 (perhaps 2 in the future.) I will have a blu-ray drive and most likely only 1 gaming video card. I am not looking for the $500 top of the line need a nuke reactor to run card, but something mid-high range performance for the money to run most games on high settings @ HD res. I also might throw a Ceton InfiniTV in there and use it as a HTPC as well but I haven't decided on that yet.

As this case has the PSU on the bottom, I want to make sure I get a PSU where I won't have an issue with cable length. What do you guys recommend for my setup? There are a wide range of views when it comes to PSU and I don't know where I fit in. I know for sure not to get bargain basement PSU for $40 as that is a risk to the entire system but is a $130 PSU really necessary? If I pay a little more for the PSU and it saves me on the electric bill due to efficiency over the life of the rig, I am willing to invest a little more obviously. Modular would be nice but isn't necessary if it substantially adds to the cost. Is $75ish a reasonable cost for a good quality reliable PSU for my needs?

40$ can get a pretty good PSU if you follow rebates:)
As you mentioned no top f the line VGA(580/6970/570), a solid 450W is all you need.. where are you buying from?

40$ can get a pretty good PSU if you follow rebates:)
As you mentioned no top f the line VGA(580/6970/570), a solid 450W is all you need.. where are you buying from?

I do play the rebate game so that is good for me. I have no preferred vendor at this point and am open to best pricing. You really think 450 w will be enough? I will still get a powerful video card, just not one of the uber top of the line ones.

Single GTX 580 would be about 500-550 watts.
Single GTX 570/HD6970 would be about 500 watts.
Single GTX 560ti/HD6950 would be about 450-500 watts.

Power supplies below 400 watts simply are not worth looking at, 99% of them are pure junk, and a good 400-450 watt costs about $20-30, which is rock bottom for power supply pricing.

If you were using an X58 platform with a Gulftown than it could be kinda tight, but SandyB is very modest in terms of power requirements:)
However, there aren't any 'excellent' 450W units available in NA.. take a look at the Antec HCG 620 @ 50$ after rebate, an excellent deal, the thing that comes closest at newegg is the XFX Core 650W @ 60$ mir, probably your best two options.

If you were using an X58 platform with a Gulftown than it could be kinda tight, but SandyB is very modest in terms of power requirements:)
However, there aren't any 'excellent' 450W units available in NA.. take a look at the Antec HCG 620 @ 50$ after rebate, an excellent deal, the thing that comes closest at newegg is the XFX Core 650W @ 60$ mir, probably your best two options.

I won't have problems with cable length with these PSU?

Visit Antec's and XFX's websites and check for yourself by comparing the cable lengths with what your case requires.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This power supply is $45 after rebate but is only silver certified. Does these efficiency ratings really matter that much? Should I NOT get a power supply because it isn't gold or better?

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStrea...0&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317795868&sr=1-1

It's not Silver, and no, the efficiency certification is not the deciding factor.. however, even though it has 700W written on it, that PSU is less powerful than both units suggested above.. add 5$ and get that HCG 620W from microcenter, is a far better PSU than the OCZ MXP you're looking at :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not Silver, and no, the efficiency certification is not the deciding factor.. however, even though it has 700W written on it, that PSU is less powerful than both units suggested above.. add 5$ and get that HCG 620W from microcenter, is a far better PSU than the OCZ MXP you're looking at :)

Yeah sorry it is only 80 PLUS Certified. I was confusing this one with a different unit.

I can get the Antec EA-650 for $40 after rebate. Is the HCG-620 worth the extra $15 (I get taxed at Microcenter)?

Last edited:
No. I'd go with the EA650.
I think the main difference is that the EA650 is made by Delta and not Seasonic. Pretty much all the reviews I have read say the EA650 is a good unit and I know for a fact it works with the case I have.

Get the Antec HCG. It is much better than earth series or Eco series. Pay more get more :p

Unfortunately my 650 had already shipped a day before I saw the ECO for $25 after rebate!! Oh well. I am still happy with the 650 for $40. Thanks for the help everyone.

Yes I agree. The price you paid is still a great deal for the 650. Enjoy! Nice little set up you have too.

Back