PSU for File Server

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 11, 2001
Messages
12,831
I'm looking for advice on a new power supply for my file server. I know there is no specific need to get a power supply that is server oriented but it's lame to run out of SATA power connectors and have to use adapters from molex connectors or splitters. It would be nice to find a PSU with more SATA power connectors, perhaps at the expense of the 6-pin PCIE power connector which I definitely don't use or need since it only uses onboard video. This is for a full-sized ATX tower, so no size limitations, etc. The previous PSU was an Antec Earthwatts 650 from ~2006 or so.

Thanks
 
Depending on how many drives you're planning on running, you may find yourself getting a way overspecced PSU to get enough connectors. By informal survey, most 450Ws seem to go for 6, Corsair's HX750 offers 12 and HX650 8.

Have you considered a splitter like the Silverstone CP06? 1 -> 4x SATA power splitter with a smart connector spacing. I use this on my machine since the default connectors are so far apart.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top