PSU for Dual 780ti

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Can I run two 780tis with my Corsair 750 watt psu? System in signature. 3 hard drive sand one optical. Core i7 920.

Might be kinda pushing it unless you were running a 2nd/3rd/4th gen processor that takes up less watts than the Nehalem. Might be fine if you left everything at stock. Then again I could be wrong... the Corsair 750s are pretty good anyhow.

I just got a 780 Ti SLI setup and decided to go with a new PSU just to be safe. Had an old TX750W and got a new EVGA Supernova 1300 G2. Pretty overkill, but now I know I shouldn't need a new PSU for the next decade or so... :D

no way would that be very safe. your older cpu clocked to 4.0 is a power hog and you are talking about potentially almost 550 watts peak for just stock 780 ti cards.

and I sure hope you are running a huge resolution if wanting that much gpu power especially with an older cpu.

Oh yeah. Forgot about the CPU. If you're overclocking the 920, get a new PSU. The 780ti isn't meek on power draw, it can use a ton of juice. So can an overclocked 920.

Now that I think of that (in terms of the CPU) I would get a better PSU just to be safe. Think of it this way: a new PSU will allow you to overclock the GPUs as well, which is a win on another front.

I just got a 780 Ti SLI setup and decided to go with a new PSU just to be safe. Had an old TX750W and got a new EVGA Supernova 1300 G2. Pretty overkill, but now I know I shouldn't need a new PSU for the next decade or so... :D

Same here man, cept I came from a HX850. This EVGA power supply is pure beast mode.

Ummm youll be perfectly fine I ran 2 heavily overclocked 480s and a 4.2ghz 1.35v i7920 off a 750tx. Youll be fine overclocking or not. My buddy has my 750tx still going strong like 4 years later. People tend to forget corsair psu are rated by there +12v rail the hx750 is about 750 watts on +12v rail while many other companies 750 watt are usually 600-700 watts on the +12v rail. So a 750 from corsair is very much like an 850 from other suppliers.

Last edited:
Ummm youll be perfectly fine I ran 2 heavily overclocked 480s and a 4.2ghz 1.35v i7920 off a 750tx. Youll be fine overclocking or not. My buddy has my 750tx still going strong like 4 years later.
no he wont. that psu will be getting pushed really hard even with out overclocking the gpus and right to its limits and beyond with significant overclocking . that cpu alone can use over 200 watts at 4.0 and oced 780 ti cards will most certainly use close to 600 watts.

Ok so im just talking out my ass I guess. Once again 2 people with no experience arguing. OP jist do it youll be fine.:rolleyes:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_780_ti_windforce_3x_review,7.html
Uses same power as a 480. I did it on a tx with more voltage to my cpu and overclocked on gpu with a tx which is inferior to the hx. Had zero issies. Could even run prime and furmark at same time no problem. I was worried about my psu because people said same thing when I asked back then. Worked flawless. Dont waste your money. I was also running a haf 932 with 8 fans and 2 hdd and bunch of lights.

Look at sli 780ti reviews that use crazy power hungry 3930k with huge overclocks. Im not wrong.
ok here is one and look at what they recommend. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,4.html

GeForce GTX 780 Ti 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

and a 920 at 4.0 is hardly average and is very power hungry. overclocking the 780 ti cards would could easily add another 100 watts.

I dont know why they say that total system load is 617 watt from the wall. Meaning a decent percentage less actual power draw. Probably adding 100 watts so users cant say "you said it would work blah blah" and taking into consideration power supplies with weaker rated 12v rails than corsair. Rule number 1 of life is cover your ass.

TDP of 780Ti is what 250W? Thats without overclock. So that Id say 600W required (derated), then add the 130W CPU and other components, Id say 750W PSU is cutting it too fine. My 580SLI system previously pulled 900W from the wall overclocked so I would say you'd want a 1kW PSU to be safe particularly if overclocking and watercooling.

I dunno ive run 480 sli oc with first gen i7 oc on 750tx and tri sli 470 oc with same i7 oc on 950tx and had no issues. I suppose if you can afford 780ti sli than spending $150 or so on a decent psu around 1kw is no biggy.

Edit: I guess its closer to $200-$250. They have original 1050hx silver and evga 1000g2 on for $165 at store near me (canada computers). Not sure if you could find any deals like that on the net. I frequent corsair forums and have seen a lot less of the original silver hx1050 issues than the new gold.

Last edited:
Im not sure what quality 1kW PSU you can get for $150. But yeah, also, just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should. The issue will be (at least for those of us in warm climates), the first hot day, playing BF4 or similar, temperature derating and overclocked gear. Or, in a couple of years, you assume its fine, then bang!

Im not sure what quality 1kW PSU you can get for $150. But yeah, also, just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should. The issue will be (at least for those of us in warm climates), the first hot day, playing BF4 or similar, temperature derating and overclocked gear. Or, in a couple of years, you assume its fine, then bang!

Absolutely the one thing in your system you don't want to skimp out on quality is your power supply. I always make sure to get highly rated and overcompensate the amount of power I need for my computer.

TDP of 780Ti is what 250W? Thats without overclock. So that Id say 600W required (derated), then add the 130W CPU and other components, Id say 750W PSU is cutting it too fine. My 580SLI system previously pulled 900W from the wall overclocked so I would say you'd want a 1kW PSU to be safe particularly if overclocking and watercooling.

yeap 250W TDP. I hit 350W with my overclock. So cards alone are pulling 700Watts. They say PSU's operate best at 50% load.

If you're going with 780 Ti SLI, there's no reason you can't buy the PSU needed to back them up.

Oh yeah. Forgot about the CPU. If you're overclocking the 920, get a new PSU. The 780ti isn't meek on power draw, it can use a ton of juice. So can an overclocked 920.

Now that I think of that (in terms of the CPU) I would get a better PSU just to be safe. Think of it this way: a new PSU will allow you to overclock the GPUs as well, which is a win on another front.

I am overclocking the 920 to 4.0GHz. I would be playing at 1080p but I want to totally DOMINATE battlefield 4 and every game that comes my way for the next 2-3 years. I want all anti-aliasing options enabled. I want the best but I play on a 1080p plasma.

Back