• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU for an i5 build

recursive

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
112
I currently have a CORSAIR 550W PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

I'm planning on upgrading within a few weeks to:
Core i5 750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215
MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130239
4GB G Skill ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

I'll also be reusing my 8800GTS, 320GB HDD, and optical drive in this new build.

Would the 550W PSU be able to power all those components or would i need to upgrade it also? And if it does, would i run into any issues later on if I do decide to upgrade my video card to something more current?
 
The VX550 is more than enough for your rig, and will be plenty for any next-gen single-GPU video card as well (and possibly even dual-GPU cards depending on their power requirements).
 
I'm running an Antec Neo HE550 in my i7 rig and it is running perfectly stable.
 
So if I were to go down to Frys right now and pick up a shiny new HD5870, I'd be perfectly fine?
 
Back
Top