PSU for a Sandy Bridge build

mufcfan

Limp Gawd
Hi all! I would like to get your opinion on choosing a new PSU for my new system.

Specs:
i5 2500k,
ASUS P8P67 EVO,
Corsair XMS3 4x2GB,
2x MSI Cyclone 460GTX 768MB in SLI,
ASUS EHD2-100,
Corsair F60,
3x Seagate ST31000528AS,
Pioneer SATA DVD-RW,
4x12cm fans and 1x20cm fan with LED,
Razer Krait mouse, Logitech Wave keyboard and Logitech Rumblepad II USB
in a Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus.

My Cooler Master Real Power M620 is apparently not up to the task so I need a new PSU.
I've put together a pool that I'm considering but you can suggest others and I will see if I can get one of them here in Hungary.

Corsair TX850, HX750, TX950, HX850, AX850
Cooler Master Silent Pro M850, Real Power M850, Silent Pro Gold 800W, Silent Pro M1000
Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-850EC, CP-1000
Thermaltake ToughPower 750W, ToughPower 850W, ToughPower Grand 750W

I don't know what would be the minimum that I need but from a performance/price point of view I'm mainly thinking about the 850W-1000W range. Also, I really like that my M620 is modular but I won't pay $50 more only for that.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Should the PSUs fan face down or up in my case? Naturally it was facing down when it was installed in the top of my old case, but with a vent below my PSU now I'm all confused. :)

I'd even step up to the HX850, just because I own it and love it haha. And it'd give you a larger buffer zone.
Just get a Corsair/SeaSonic PSU that is 750W or up.
Preferably the modular variant :)
There is not much of a difference between the AX850 and the HX850 (I think [H] had a review on that?) and you should just go with whichever is cheapest or whichever look you prefer.

Actually, even a good 650W PSU would be plenty for that setup. The only reason I suggested the HX750 was because there are no lower-wattage PSUs in that list.

So my current M620 is only that far from running my system without a hitch?
That's hard to believe with these symptoms.

edit: The symptoms are that win7 is not stable when I put in the second 460GTX. nVidia driver TDRs and eventually a black screen. Also my SATA DVD RW is not working well even with one card. I tried to erase a CD-RW and after it completed (according to UltraISO), the drive would keep spinning endlessly and didn't stop until I forced it to stop with a pin. Could there be anything else behind this? The DVD RW is brand new, I don't know if it works but both of my 460GTXs proven themselves in both PCI-E x16 slots one by one.

Last edited:
the m620 should cope well,its one of coolermasters better efforts

on your list the hx750/tough power grand 750 are the same level since they are nearly the same platform
so either of those they will be enough for anything up to the sli 570 range

Well, I ordered a TX950W because i could get it for ~$190 and the other were around that as well +-$5. So, I looked at the [H]ard tests and saw that it did great and can get me much-much more than enough juice.

One last question: should I install it in the bottom of my case with the fan facing up or down?

Back