• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU for a q6600

contitego

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
173
I have an old q6600, 4Gbs of memory, a 3wire PATA raid controller (raid 1) with two 120GB drives, and I am planning on placing an older video card in there for a file server.

Can my 450 watt PSU handle this or should I get a larger one?

Clearly, I am just using spare parts, so I am not looking to invest much into an older pc.
 
it should be fine. i have a coolermaster 460 watt going on 5 years on a q6600 and 8800gt everything overclocked so your power usage should be lower.
 
You're definitely fine. No need to worry unless you're upgrading the graphics to something like a GTX 560 or HD6870.
 
You could do fine with a 300Watt PSU tbqh. (Most people vastly overestimate their power needs).

Though to be fair you didn't specify which PSU it was, if its a piece of junk it may die regardless of the load.
 
Back
Top