• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU for a 4p intel build

silicide

Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
605
I'm looking at doing a 4p socket 1567 build, on something of a budget. Yes, I realize how contradictory that sounds. Regardless, I want to keep costs as low as possible within those constraints. The board in question states a minimum of 1400w in its manual. That sounds patently ridiculous to me, even with 4 130w cpus installed. Would a 750w PCP&C unit cut it, given that the board will be running practically bare metal - cpus, 4 dimms per cpu, single hard drive (possibly a raid 0 if I can swing the money), 4 or 5 120mm fans, the board itself? Not planning on an optical drive (I can do OS from usb...) or any other fancy peripherals.

Cliffs, minimum power for a 4p socket 1567 build running no fancy accessories?
 
For a barebones system, that PCP&C PSU should be fine. Use it if you already have it. If you're looking to buy a new PSU, there are much better options available.
 
For a barebones system, that PCP&C PSU should be fine. Use it if you already have it. If you're looking to buy a new PSU, there are much better options available.

Better options such as...?

I'd like to stay under $150 for the psu if possible
 
I'm looking at doing a 4p socket 1567 build, on something of a budget. Yes, I realize how contradictory that sounds. Regardless, I want to keep costs as low as possible within those constraints. The board in question states a minimum of 1400w in its manual. That sounds patently ridiculous to me, even with 4 130w cpus installed. Would a 750w PCP&C unit cut it, given that the board will be running practically bare metal - cpus, 4 dimms per cpu, single hard drive (possibly a raid 0 if I can swing the money), 4 or 5 120mm fans, the board itself? Not planning on an optical drive (I can do OS from usb...) or any other fancy peripherals.

Cliffs, minimum power for a 4p socket 1567 build running no fancy accessories?

The problem you will run into is not that running that setup would actually require 1400w, its that Power Supplies in that range have all the necessary power connectors for this particular board. A regular enthusiast class PSU probably won't cut it.

Take a look at the pic on their website. Unfortunately they don't have a higher rez available, but I count one (1) 24pin connector, and four (4) 8pin ATX 12v cpu power connectors in the lower left section of the motherboard next to the dimm slots.

X8QB6_spec.jpg


At most, I've seen some 1000+ watt enthusiast class PSU's include two (2) 8pin ATX 12v cpu power connectors. There might be some out there with more, I just haven't seen them yet.

None of these power supplies have enough 8pin cpu connectors.
 
Adapters can be had (yay for monoprice) to convert 4-pin molex to 4-pin cpu, and 4-pin cpu to 8-pin cpu. So long as the PSU has the amps in the right places, I can make the cabling work. There's a higher res pic of the board here, and you are correct - 1 24pin mobo, 4 8pin cpu, of which the manual states at least 3 must be connected (presumably the 4th would be beneficial). Other than a sata power to the hdd though, that should really be the only load on the psu.
 
Though most of them do have 12V graphics card connectors. With a pin extractor it would not be too difficult to convert those into more EPS connectors.
 
None of these power supplies have enough 8pin cpu connectors.
I'm not aware of any power supply on the market with four EPS12V connectors. Adapters will be necessary no matter what, unless he can find a server PSU that fits the requirements, but I imagine that would exceed his budget.
 
So long as the PSU has the amps in the right places, I can make the cabling work.
I would probably get a PSU with a single 12v rail then. It will make managing all the amps in the right places super simple. No need to worry about overloading a rail because you were running all those adapters from it.


I'm not aware of any power supply on the market with four EPS12V connectors. Adapters will be necessary no matter what, unless he can find a server PSU that fits the requirements, but I imagine that would exceed his budget.
I imagine that is why the requirements called for a 1400w unit to begin with. There is probably a proprietary 1400w Supermicro PSU that has 4 8pin ATX 12v connectors on it.
 
All the psu's I've found that would work with it are designed to plug into a backplane... the connectors presumably being present in the ~$7-800 supermicro case that fits the board.
 
You can also repurpose PCI-E connectors into EPS connectors. Just buy the connectors, and rewire them. They are all just 12v and ground wires. PCI-E has 3 12v wires and 3 or 5 ground, while EPS has 4 12v and 4 ground.
 
I think I'd rather not mess around with rewiring when I can get an adapter so cheap... my soldering skills *ahem* aren't.


You can also repurpose PCI-E connectors into EPS connectors. Just buy the connectors, and rewire them. They are all just 12v and ground wires. PCI-E has 3 12v wires and 3 or 5 ground, while EPS has 4 12v and 4 ground.
 
Last edited:
You can't rewire an 8-pin PCI-E connector to be an EPS12V connector. They are keyed differently so you would need to buy an EPS12V connector housing. Additionally, the EPS12V connector has four +12V wires and four grounds, while the 8-pin PCI-E connector has three +12V wires and 5 grounds (technically, one of them should be a +12V sense wire, but this is rarely implemented), so they are not pin-compatible either.
 
That board will only fit in certain Supermicro cases. Just get the barebone that Supermicro offers and you won't have problems. You're going to be spending $6k+ on processors, so I don't see why it's a big deal to buy the Supermicro barebone...and if you aren't, you're doing it wrong because the 6-core chips are fairly slow and you'd get better performance out of a high end dual 1366 system (so, only the 8 and 10 core chips are worthwhile).
 
I kind of expected this issue to arise at some point... I'm not actually paying $6k on processors, nor am I getting hexes. As far as the case goes, I've got access to a shop and am planning to make my own to fit - shouldn't be that hard. My main concern here is finding out how much power this will require - if someone could give me an educated estimate at how much power I want on the +12v, that'd be really appreciated.
 
if someone could give me an educated estimate at how much power I want on the +12v, that'd be really appreciated.
Roughly 100W per CPU and 100-150W for all the other shit. If you want to be conservative, go with 150W per CPU. A good 750W PSU is enough.
 
On a sidenote, I hope for your sake if you purchased some 8-core ES chips (which I suspect you did), that they work with the motherboard.
 
Back
Top