• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU for a 1U DIY server

Philj

n00b
2FA
Joined
Dec 30, 2011
Messages
58
Hi All

I'm building a 1U server for an Untangle firewall. Should I go with a 500w platinum PSU or a 300/350w gold? Does it make any difference?

Cheers

Phil
 
Models and prices of said options?

Thanks for the reply Paul. I haven't picked any yet. I was just wondering if it would make much difference. Is the extra expense of a 500w platinum PSU worth it over a 300-350w gold? Will a platinum PSU offer power savings over a gold?

Thanks!
 
Thanks for the reply Paul. I haven't picked any yet. I was just wondering if it would make much difference. Is the extra expense of a 500w platinum PSU worth it over a 300-350w gold? Will a platinum PSU offer power savings over a gold?

Thanks!

This is a number of years old now.....but the conclusions are largely the same https://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/

The short answer is...if it will run on the 300-350W unit (it is a firewall so it should easily) then you might as well go with that. The long answer is in the above link
 
Back
Top