PSU For 14 Hard Drives

oplin

Gawd
What psu would you guys recommend for this, drives are 14 seagate 500gig 7200rpm.10 7200 rpm drives in raid 5. 2 are used for os and a misc. Computer is going to have 1 or 2 geforce 7600's and xi fi platinum sound cards. 4800x2 amd processor. 2 dvd drives, couple fans here and there. But pretty much getting the PSU for the hard drives.

Would modular drive be best or not? Either way i'm going to need spliters or make my own cables. Been looking around a bit and not sure what to get. Silverstone 1000w drive looks nice when it comes out, but not sure if there would be something better out there. Thanks.

The Silverstone 1KW will be more than enough for what you need with a ton of headroom, etc. Only $280 too, compared to the ridiculous $500+ for a PCP&C.

the enermax galaxy series come with a ton of power cables.

Is enermax a good brand name? Looking for something that is very high in quality. Looking at spending $300, unless something is so good to justify more than that.

Yeah, enermax in the top end should be just fine; but I'd rec the silverstone or a PCP&C.

Bbq said:
The Silverstone 1KW will be more than enough for what you need with a ton of headroom, etc. Only $280 too, compared to the ridiculous $500+ for a PCP&C.

The thing I love the most about the PCP&C PS's besides all the obvious stuff is that you can have the harness custom made to meed your specific needs. I had mine made specifically to accomidate 12 HDDs in a Lian-Li 2000.

If you are going to be running that many drives and raid, maybe you should consider a multiple redundant power supply setup? That way if any one portion of a power supply fails the other half will pick up the slack. You'd probably need 2 of these to power all the devices. I believe Silverstone actually makes one for a reasonable price that supposedly spec'd pretty decently in some random review.

Spazilton said:
The thing I love the most about the PCP&C PS's besides all the obvious stuff is that you can have the harness custom made to meed your specific needs. I had mine made specifically to accomidate 12 HDDs in a Lian-Li 2000.

I recently bought a PCP&P can love it. I called them to order a an extension cable, and they offered to make a custom harness to meet my needs or they offered to send me a free extension cable. I know these PSU's are expensive, but you are also paying for kisk ass no hastle customer service!

hokatichenci said:
If you are going to be running that many drives and raid, maybe you should consider a multiple redundant power supply setup? That way if any one portion of a power supply fails the other half will pick up the slack. You'd probably need 2 of these to power all the devices. I believe Silverstone actually makes one for a reasonable price that supposedly spec'd pretty decently in some random review.

What he said.
But then you'd need 2 that could run them all independentally.

Redundant PSU with ATX size have a cage with backplane and You push into them 2 modules. They have only one hairnes and fall out of one module is transparent for all devices. You just hear alarm. Some models it ATX size reach 920 watt's. Those cost though pretty penny. Though 920 watt is a lot it's acctualy 2x460 watt hence with one PSU out You are runing 460 watt that could overbridge a time to turn of a PC(read server) or to wait to hot plug a new module (if it supports hotpluging).

http://www.yang-it.de/ps_MRG-6460P.htm cheep one like 350$ :)

IMO redundant power supply is just for people running mission critical 24/7 servers.
Serious server R PSU's have 4 and more modules per PSU unit.

RAID HDDs are performance + redundancy and is good solution for normal user to.

For normal user IMO Enermax Galaxy 1000 watt is a more then a overkill. Even for runing 24/7 of top end system.

MD

Thanks for all the input guys.

I don't think i'd need a redundant power supply. The card has something in it where if it loses power it can rebuild and you just lose the data in cache. Data is certainly not mission critical, the home theatre center going down is a big problem but nothing to spend a ton of money on. I'm either probably going to go with the enermax or the silverstone 1kw ones.

Just need to find a creative way to hook up all the drives. I think the PC&P one or what not would work, but might be a little too expensive.

im running the enermax galaxy 1,000watts psu.. with 6 hardrives.. i also have 2 7900gto's in SLI mode.. they are overclocked as well as my cpu and ram... no hiccups or no shutdowns whatsoever.. very good power supply.. comes with ALOT of cables to run more than 10 hardrives.. lol

Back