PSU Fans

TSS Modder

2[H]4U
I noticed the temps in my case have been gettin pretty high. This question should be common sense, but i just want some (un)professional [H]ard opinions. But first, i havent checked teh PSU in a while, but dont most PSUs take air in the back and push it down the inside of the case? i dont remember. anyways, if thats the case (pun unintended) then would it be better to reverse the fans, take excess air from the PC, and then push it out the back of the computer? less air collision, better airflow, etc.

Umm, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I've NEVER seen a power supply suck air in and down into the case, that would defeat the whole purpose of having the fan(s) positioned the way they are. The Power supply sucks rising hot air OUT of the case and blows it out the back.....You can reverse it if you want, but you'll wish you hadn't.....PSU's actually can run quite hot.....and you'd be blowing the warm air straight infront of your CPU. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
Umm, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I've NEVER seen a power supply suck air in and down into the case, that would defeat the whole purpose of having the fan(s) positioned the way they are. The Power supply sucks rising hot air OUT of the case and blows it out the back.....You can reverse it if you want, but you'll wish you hadn't.....PSU's actually can run quite hot.....and you'd be blowing the warm air straight infront of your CPU. ;)

well, like i said, i havent looked at my PSU in a while (obviously, or i wouldnt be askin). that was kinda the purpose of the question. i figured thats wat it should do, bein common sense.

actually the original ATX spec called for the PSU fan to pull fresh air into the PSU and exhaust it into the case. Something that was changed very quickly. I've only seen 2 or 3 of them ever.

I've seen lots and lots of then that pulled air in fronm the back.

Pop open just about any store-bought hunk of shit and look at it. Hell, some of em rely on just that single fan to keep the CPU cool, too!

I'm just saying that if someone has purchased a computer or power supply new in the last few years or more there is no way that it should be anything other then the "suck from case exhaust out back" design.....unless its a POS PSU. ;)

clone#13 said:
wasn't that the AT form factor???

I still have 2 AT PSUs here and they both exhaust out the back.

Eitherway, it's an easy fix, just open it and turn the fan around.

The AT spec called for the fans to blow out the back of the case...

It was definately the original ATX 1.0 spec that called for the PS to pull in fresh air and exhanust it over the CPU. Remember, this was back when the only fans in the system were the PS fan and the CPU fan, and the CPU fan idea was pretty new... The original thought was that the "fresh" air coming over the CPU would help cool it... I guess they didn't take into account how much the PS warmed the air before it was blown over the CPU... Then of course, the air inside the rest of the case didn't exchange very well and everything got real warm... They quickly figured out this airflow did more harm than goood and updated the ATX spec (ATX 1.1) to reverse the fans in the PS...

IIRC, the ATX 1.1 spec was the first time it was reccomended to install a third fan in the rear for exhaust.. Though that idea didn't catch on until some time around the later phases of the Slot1 Pentium 2....

jpochedl said:
The AT spec called for the fans to blow out the back of the case...

It was definately the original ATX 1.0 spec that called for the PS to pull in fresh air and exhanust it over the CPU. Remember, this was back when the only fans in the system were the PS fan and the CPU fan, and the CPU fan idea was pretty new... The original thought was that the "fresh" air coming over the CPU would help cool it... I guess they didn't take into account how much the PS warmed the air before it was blown over the CPU... Then of course, the air inside the rest of the case didn't exchange very well and everything got real warm... They quickly figured out this airflow did more harm than goood and updated the ATX spec (ATX 1.1) to reverse the fans in the PS...

IIRC, the ATX 1.1 spec was the first time it was reccomended to install a third fan in the rear for exhaust.. Though that idea didn't catch on until some time around the later phases of the Slot1 Pentium 2....

Yay, someone else who actually knows what they're talking about.....good stuff. Oh, and thx for the little history lesson/refresher. :)

Back