psu fan face bottom vent or inside case?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I work at a tire shop and the office computers are starting to diminish performance on Quickbooks to the point sometimes they lock up.. Has been determined that the storage drive for Quickbooks is failing and SSD's are on their way. ( backed up every night always though )

However, I popped them open and did some maintenance. The owner had them built by someone who charged him quite a bit. They are ASUS 990 FX 2.0 boards, one has an FX 4200, the other a Phenom II X4 980, one has a Seasonic PSU and the other an EVGA 500B. In identical Rosewill cases. They are supposed to be identical but they were likely built with leftovers
Both were underclocked by a large margin
There is no rear case fan, and the power supply has the fans facing the bottom vent, and that just does not seem right to me with no case fan at the rear.. I build in OEM's or top mount PSU cases by preference so I don't know if the thermals would be better the 'old way' ( fan in ) with the bottom mount cases..

Yes, I put a decent overclock into both and they are running much faster except for quick books

Without knowing the current case / fan layout (you only said no rear fans), and besides switching over to SSDs (as you've already said you've done), I would just add more fans. It's not like they are expensive - even cheapo no name / china specials would be better than no fans / not enough fans.

As for layout, I usually do intake from front and exhaust out rear and top or intakes front and back and exhaust out top.

BTW If they are work / mission critical / non-gaming computers - I normally wouldn't bother overclocking, especially on older machines. Beyond the geek factor, you're only adding more risk especially if it's still on stock cooling.

They have larger Cooler Master top down coolers. I don't know the exact model but they are overkill. I think the FX4200 is running at 4.6 and the 980 is running at 3.8. Only a couple hundred mhz overclock, I didn't push anything because of that. They were actually under clocked before I touched them.

I do have a stack of old 120mm's

Remove the overclock on business machines, they need the machines to work without risk.
Fit fans and let the processors run at stock speed.
The performance issues should be resolved by fitting drives that work and not underclocking.

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do. Just set the Asus bios to high performance mode automatic and let it be.. I really bumped them to overclock the ram a little since Intuit suggested it was a Ram issue. But then as I got deeper it was evident that storage drive is heavily fragmented, and is reporting like 85% health on smart data..

One of the computers also has an AMD graphics card that uses PCI-E 6 pin too. Not exactly sure why 2 computers built the 'same' only have the case and mobo in common. I wish I had another card that took less power since the fan on that rattles as well.

NEVER OC a business PC unless you want nothing but call backs. Been there, done that. What would be a bulletproof stable OC for you, would turn into a fail at idle or a BSoD just opening a browser for them in my experience. Just add fan/s, clock it back to stock parameters and defrag or replace the drive.

Yeah, I'm just going to bump it back to the fastest automatic setting.. But the OC isn't really much at all. I bumped the base clock from 200 mhz to 210 mhz on both. Still I was trying to fix a disk issue. The SSD's will be ok

Back