• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU fan dying...needs replacement...suggestions?

Darkeone

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 8, 2000
Messages
1,823
I have an Antec smartpower 350 PSU with a fan that appears to be going bad...making vibration sounds...getting louder by the week etc. What fan would be a good replacement? It appears to be an 80mm Antec brand fan. I'm looking for adequate cooling with it also being very quiet. This PC (my wife's) will soon be moving into the den area near my living room. The last thing I need is a constant whining whirrrrrrrrrr sound coming from the case.

BTW, it is the fan that faces downwards inside the case not the rear exhaust fan if that makes any difference. I also understand that I may have to exchange the fan connectors to get it properly connected inside the PSU.


Any recommendations? The PSU is still running strong it's just the fan that is dying.
 
A vantec stealth 92mm would be a fine choice, it'll be quiet and more than adaqute to cool that PSU
 
YEah, I started looking at the Vantec Stealth fans. I figure, I might as well replace both of them while I'm in there. The exhaust fan doesn't push hardly any air so maybe I can remedy that.

Thanks for the tip!
 
I finally was able to crack the PSU open to replace the fans, and what did I also find?

I found at least 2 maybe 3 bulging capacitors that had already leaked it's rusty goo. I'm surprised the psu was still running stable. Anyway, this psu won't be going back into a machine. I had to breakdown and purchase another so I went with a Truepower 380S. Seems like a real decent PSU so far. At least I can reuse the fans I bought elsewhere!

Thanks again for your ideas. If anyone is interested, I'll post pics of the bulging, leaky capacitors later tonight.
 
New Image.JPG


Sorry, it's not the best pic in the world but you get the idea.
 
The bearings are totally shot in the fan facing down, It will barely spin when pushed. And when you try to spin it the bearings make a grinding sound. Would the fan try to draw more power to spin it in that condition? I ask because it seems like it would take alot more power to turn the blades on the fan. Perhaps that's why the capacitors bulged and leaked? Just a theory anyway.

This next psu should live longer because there won't be as much dust getting into the case. I do believe that dust was the culprit that killed this fan and PSU.
 
considering that a 4500 rpm 80mm is somewhere around a .37A draw on the +12V rail
I kind of doubt that was the root cause ;)

but overloading potentially contributed to by a higher operating temperature
which in turn dust may have played a role in, might be the ticket

edit > oh the PIC is loading now
your sure thats dust and not a South American Jungle Mold? :p
 
Back
Top