• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU drive connector question - very noob!

lagerter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 25, 2005
Messages
1,319
My power supply has the one floppy and only 3 drive connectors.
I have one 20g hd, one 30g hd, dvd drive and cdrw that I want to use. If I don't plan on using a floppy drive, is it possible to change that connector to use one of my other drives?

Or do I have to:
a.) scrap the PSU and get another one?
b.) scrap the 2 hard drives and get one big one?
c.) __________________________ fill in the blank with your own suggestion :D

Thanks for any help!
 
What power supply?

At any rate you could use a molex splitter. Not neccesarily the best idea. But without knowing more...
 
Promise you won't laugh? The PSU is
Xcase EB-500
What does a molex splitter do? (told ya' I was noob) Heard of them but not sure what exactly it is.
 
lagerter said:
Promise you won't laugh? The PSU is
Xcase EB-500

No. :p
What does a molex splitter do? (told ya' I was noob) Heard of them but not sure what exactly it is.

Basically what it sounds like it.....it takes one molex and splits it into two. Think of it as a spike bar for the inside of the PSU. Most of the time it works fine, sometimes it doesn't....
 
Any other info that you need to tell if it would work?

mobo is MSI K7N2 delta 2 and I'll have an AMD XP 2700+ as well. I'm just trying to get this all together from parts I've purchased off of the forums. Nothing fancy, just basics to do a little home video work.

Really wanted to have both hard drives, but could sacrifice one for now if need be.
 
lagerter said:
Any other info that you need to tell if it would work?

mobo is MSI K7N2 delta 2 and I'll have an AMD XP 2700+ as well. I'm just trying to get this all together from parts I've purchased off of the forums. Nothing fancy, just basics to do a little home video work.

Really wanted to have both hard drives, but could sacrifice one for now if need be.

I am trying to find that PSU right now. I'll get back to you in a second.
 
Ok by the numbers it should be fine. However, that PSU is less than stellar. I would not trust it for long.
 
lagerter said:
'Preciate it! :D

No problem but seriously consider getting a new PSU when you can. There are many 350w PSU's that will kick the crap out of that one and keep you from having to use a molex splitter.
 
Long as in... days, weeks, months? Next paycheck? :(

Guess you shouldn't always take the recommendations of the seller if you don't know any better :p

Thanks for your help! I guess I'll start the new "Hunt for PSU" coming to a wallet near you :D hehehe
 
lagerter said:
Long as in... days, weeks, months? Next paycheck? :(

Well if i was going to be an idealist I would say immediately but I am a realist....so when you can afford it.
 
Can't fault a girl for trying :p
Guess I'll go start reading the for sale threads and the stellar thread on recommended PSU's . Should've read it BEFORE I bought the other thing.
Thanks for your help!!
 
Spectre said:
No problem but seriously consider getting a new PSU when you can. There are many 350w PSU's that will kick the crap out of that one and keep you from having to use a molex splitter.

Any suggestions on which one? Remember, low to no budget any more since I bought this other one. Arrggh.
Been trying to read up on them but now I'm sooo confused. :eek: Not sure what I need now.
 
What JTY said you are going to need a good Fortron, Sparkle or SuperFlower/TTGI. The Fortron's and Sparkles are available from Newegg and the Superflower/TTGI from directron (along with a PC Power and Cooling on clearence).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104986

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103484

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171003

http://www.directron.com/turbocool300.html

http://www.directron.com/sf350stainless.html
 
Back
Top