• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PSU choice

Farva

Extremely [H]
Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Messages
38,145
See rig here. It is the first one there, Able. I plan on adding 4 more drives, most likely not raided as it would require the purchase of a new motherboard. I don't think my Antec 500W will quite cut another 4 drives (most likely WD500AAKS), so I was thinking either SeaSonic S12 or OCZ GameXStream. I know OCZ is pretty good and SeaSonic's are a bit better, but what is the difference between the two?
 
The difference is that they're made by different manufacturers, with a different design, to different tolerences, with different parts, and rated differently. In other words, aside from being ATX size and having a 120mm fan, they're about as far apart as you can get.

Why not a Silverstone Olympia? www.jonnyguru.com just reviewed one, and was highly impressed. 54a on a single rail too.

www.deadeyedata.com use coupon code JONNYGURU to get a discount
 
...and here I thought it was the 1000W version he tested. That 650W looks pretty sexy.

Edit: Purchased the 650 :) I was impressed with the results and at a lower price that the other two after the "instant rebate," I couldn't resist.
 
He tested both: The 650 was just published, and the 1kw was in the roundup. Apparently he got a bad unit, and it's being re-tested.
 
See rig here. It is the first one there, Able. I plan on adding 4 more drives, most likely not raided as it would require the purchase of a new motherboard. I don't think my Antec 500W will quite cut another 4 drives (most likely WD500AAKS), so I was thinking either SeaSonic S12 or OCZ GameXStream. I know OCZ is pretty good and SeaSonic's are a bit better, but what is the difference between the two?
I believe your Antec will be fine,
if going larger I recommend either a single rail like the PC P&C 610W or one of the new Seasonics or
Seasonic built Corsairs that advertise multi-rail, but are really single rail PSU's.
 
Back
Top