PSU cables with built-in capacitors

Never seen/noticed it before. Very neat idea. Surely could modify and add your own...? Reckon an EE geek would know what to do. I'd guess it's a cap across one of the main 12V rails.

Love this marketing image though on the silverstone link OG ATi 4870? This must have been around for a while then. Sexy cards... will have to grab a collection piece one day.

ST1000-85F-75F-P-7.jpg

Reminds me of the old days when inductors were on cables. Given how good PSUs are these days to then, if have to see some real testing to believe in a difference that matters. Good PSUs get practically no noise right out the interconnects to start with

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Never seen/noticed it before. Very neat idea. Surely could modify and add your own...? Reckon an EE geek would know what to do. I'd guess it's a cap across one of the main 12V rails.

Love this marketing image though on the silverstone link OG ATi 4870? This must have been around for a while then. Sexy cards... will have to grab a collection piece one day.

ST1000-85F-75F-P-7.jpg
Should be mod-able.
I'm sure most modern PSUs are good, but certain GPUs seems to have peak draws well above their advertised power rating. Was thinking to use this to allow for more reasonable PSU selection/use.

like this
Good PSU's can go above their power rating for short bursts without any issues also.

I don't think this is a good idea. Unnecessary feature blend introducing an additional point of failure.
That money should go into putting higher gauge wire instead.
One of the failure modes of a capacitor is a short. And a short in a capacitor (even in parallel) might cause random shutdowns which will be hard to troubleshoot if you forget about the cap on the wire.

like this
Prior generation of EVGA psu cables had capacitors integrated into the stock cables. You could check if they still sell them individually.

This is and should be a totally DIY kind of thing and very easy to do. A 2200uF cap with a 16V rating will be dirt cheap even from a reputable maker like Panasonic, Rubycon or even Nippon-Chemicon (yeah I know).
I have a similar idea on my to-do list which is to beef up electrolytics on some mobo and a PSU and do a before/after overclocking test to see how much capacitance headroom is provided.
Besides, correct me if I'm wrong but it is the crimping point and the soldering point that is the bottleneck. My inner Alex Jones says this is done as a makeshift errata for already assembled PSUs which exhibit secondary capacitor failures in the field.

I love in the CP06 page, they have the drives mounted back as far as possible to over exaggerate how bad the cables look with "standard" sata power cables.

I'll even go as far and say that the bad picture has custom horribly long sata power cables.

This seems interesting, but I'm with michalrz, seems unnecessary and could be harder to diagnose if an issue were to arise.

Back