PSU blowing

Panda Man

Limp Gawd
Current Rig in sig. I am planning on upgrading soon (will be waiting for Conroe of course first) and I was just wondering, when hardware is upgraded, does the chance of a certain PSU blowing up increase alot? I'm worried, because my current PSU is -

RAIDMAX RX-530 ATX12V/ EPS12V 530W Power Supply 115/230 V CB, IEC, TUV, UL, CSA - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817152025

(NOTE: 12V rails are actually 17A and 16A, newegg has them listed wrong)

Its gotten great reviews, and I haven't had any trouble since i installed back in Dec. I'm just worried that if I hook up an upgraded MoBo, CPU and GPU (I'm looking at the ATM X850XT) that my PSU might blow.

I still do plan to upgrade the PSU sometime soon, but I just wanted to make sure my current PSU can handle Conroe (I might actaully go with a PD, depends how much i make this summer), an X850XT and a new mobo (undecided and what type yet, kinda hard to decide when your waiting a cpu to come out)

Future PSU:

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240V - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341001

Raidmax isnt known for making good PSUs. Honestly, I wouldnt have that PSU powering several hundred dollars worth of new hardware. Just not worth the risk. A dual core cpu and a newer video card will require a good deal more power than your current setup.

Yeah, i was just thinkg maybe this one was different, and that it might be good after all. I'll grab the OCZ one instead. Thnx for the input!

I wouldn't trust a Raidmax unless I could prove that it was a model made by Topower (some are -- the $85 price indicates that the RX-530 could be) rather than by Leadman.

You have to be careful about reviews because the ones from people who know everything may differ substantially from those from people who know nothing.

larrymoencurly said:
I wouldn't trust a Raidmax unless I could prove that it was a model made by Topower (some are -- the $85 price indicates that the RX-530 could be) rather than by Leadman.

You have to be careful about reviews because the ones from people who know everything may differ substantially from those from people who know nothing.
How can i check to see who it was made by? BTW Raidmax says their RX-/630/530 Series is their top-of-the-line PSU, so perhaps it was Topower? Couldn't find anything about it on the site, but i did email them asking.

Panda Man said:
How can i check to see who it was made by? BTW Raidmax says their RX-/630/530 Series is their top-of-the-line PSU, so perhaps it was Topower?

Easiest way? WHat is the UL number?

Panda Man said:
Sorry, not quite sure what that is :(

It is the number under the UR symbol. It stands for Underwriters Laboratories.

Spectre said:
It is the number under the UR symbol. It stands for Underwriters Laboratories.
ahh, kk. Its going to be kind of hard to get to it, the label is hidden ATM, and I'm going to have to un-mount it to get to it. And i can't chutdown quite yet, I'm uploading some files to my FTP.

Panda Man said:
ahh, kk. Its going to be kind of hard to get to it, the label is hidden ATM, and I'm going to have to un-mount it to get to it. And i can't chutdown quite yet, I'm uploading some files to my FTP.

OK well if you can get it I can look it up for you. Alternately.....some models will have the UL number in the user manual as well.......if that is easier for you.

Spectre said:
OK well if you can get it I can look it up for you. Alternately.....some models will have the UL number in the user manual as well.......if that is easier for you.
HA! I have manual right here on my desk. I'll edit my post if i find it.

EDIT - UL 60950-1

Panda Man said:
HA! I have manual right here on my desk. I'll edit my post if i find it.

EDIT - UL 60950-1

Hmmm....that is the UL application database. It UL cert number should start with a e.

Spectre said:
Hmmm....that is the UL application database. It UL cert number should start with a e.
..... mkay, this is everything under Regulatory Compliance in the manual (the exact way it is in the manual, caps and all) -
Code:
 UL 60950-1
 CAN/CSA-C22.2 NO.60950-1
 TUV EN60950-1
 FCC Part 15 sub part B Class B
 CE/EMC

Panda Man said:
..... mkay, this is everything under Regulatory Compliance in the manual (the exact way it is in the manual, caps and all) -
Code:
 UL 60950-1
 CAN/CSA-C22.2 NO.60950-1
 TUV EN60950-1
 FCC Part 15 sub part B Class B
 CE/EMC

Ok yeah those are just who certified it not the UL reg number. Sorry....looks like it will be on the supply only in this case. When you get it I will look it up for you.

Spectre said:
Ok yeah those are just who certified it not the UL reg number. Sorry....looks like it will be on the supply only in this case. When you get it I will look it up for you.
:\ mkay, well I won't be able to get in tonight, I'll PM you sometime tommorrow. Thnx for the help though :)

Panda Man said:
:\ mkay, well I won't be able to get in tonight, I'll PM you sometime tommorrow. Thnx for the help though :)

No problem. :)

PMed spectre, but haven't gotten a reply yet... Gues he's too busy ATM, so ill post the UL code in public!

Code:
E342828
I think that's the UL code, though im not sure. All there was besides that were little yellow/white sticks showing that it passed certain tests. Thnx in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Panda Man said:
PMed spectre, but haven't gotten a reply yet... Gues he's too busy ATM, so ill post the UL code in public!

Code:
E342828
I think that's the UL code, though im not sure. All there was besides that were little yellow/white sticks showing that it passed certain tests. Thnx in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Sorry I was trying to figure it out and it wasn't straight forward like usual. That code isn't in the UL db and it stumped jonny and I. I know this is getting to be a pain but can you post a pic of the UR with the number? If that number is correct something is.......odd.

Spectre said:
Sorry I was trying to figure it out and it wasn't straight forward like usual. That code isn't in the UL db and it stumped jonny and I. I know this is getting to be a pain but can you post a pic of the UR with the number? If that number is correct something is.......odd.
I'll have to get some batteries... And the pic might be a tad bit blurry so close up to the camera.

EDIT - Told you they would come out blurry :\ but here they are, nonetheless. I double checked the code, and it is right. I'll triple check if you want me to be absolutely sure though.

http://pandaman.cutpage.com/Pictures/DSC00046.JPG
http://pandaman.cutpage.com/Pictures/DSC00047.JPG
http://pandaman.cutpage.com/Pictures/DSC00048.JPG
http://pandaman.cutpage.com/Pictures/DSC00049.JPG

And a picture of my kitty for good measure ^__^

http://pandaman.cutpage.com/Pictures/DSC00045.JPG

My iDen phone takes better pics.

By the waym the UR stands for "Underwriters Recognized." ;) :D

jonnyGURU said:
My iDen phone takes better pics.

By the waym the UR stands for "Underwriters Recognized." ;) :D
hah, yea, this camera can't take pics for shit at such a close range.

Well then, the UL code is not on here if that's the UR code :(

Panda Man said:
hah, yea, this camera can't take pics for shit at such a close range.

Well then, the UL code is not on here if that's the UR code :(

So nothing. Dnag. Well there isn't really an easy way to tell who made it across the net without that or a lto of really clear pictures. Sorry :(

Spectre said:
So nothing. Dnag. Well there isn't really an easy way to tell who made it across the net without that or a lto of really clear pictures. Sorry :(
ah well. Thanks for trying though. Hopefully RaidMAX can tell me something (assuming they reply to my email)

I saw an RX-380K yesterday at Fry's (box labelled "NewPower"), and it was very, very light, but I don't remember the UL number.

Back