PSone LCD Mod/Enclosure Suggestions

Bepunk

Limp Gawd
So far, I have a 24" gooseneck with a clamp on one end and a threaded rod+washer/bolt on the other. I am looking for a way to attach my LCD + speakers to a Lexan covered enclosure.

I tried modding a dvd case, but the connections and speakers wouldnt fit. What else is slim like a DVD case, but larger in other dimensions?

This is an outside-of-the-computer mod. I need to find a mount/enclosure to then attached it to the gooseneck swivle. It will be for my PC to display television/itunes/stats on. It will clamp to my desk or to my dorm room bed post to watch TV on.

I cut the round DVD holder out of the DVD case, and the lcd portion fit, but like I said, the other stuff didn't. I was just wondering if you guys could think of anything slim like a DVD just larger that I could mod as an enclosure. Aluminum, steel, ... whatever.

Bepunk said:
So far, I have a 24" gooseneck with a clamp on one end and a threaded rod+washer/bolt on the other. I am looking for a way to attach my LCD + speakers to a Lexan covered enclosure.

I tried modding a dvd case, but the connections and speakers wouldnt fit. What else is slim like a DVD case, but larger in other dimensions?
If you have a dremel, go with acrylic and roll-your-own! You can use aluminum stock from a hardware store to make the frame portions out of, mount the components to the metal, and attach the acrylic to the aluminum as well. This way you won't have an ugly, pre-made part and the aluminum underneath will hold up to the gooseneck's motion better than plastic. If you need help I'm here for you.... [email protected]

what are the dimensions of the PCB and such for the PSOne screen, after it has been removed from its original housing?

I'll post a picture with a ruler. I found a sheet of steel that fits the height, and I have the ability to chop it shorter.

The speaker magnetics clip on to the steel - will that affect the output? Also, I have access to pretty much any tool - what would be my best bet? I have pneumatic steel shears, jigsaw, pneumatic grinder (think giant Dremel cut-off tool).

As for connecting the gooseneck to the steel sheet, I was thinking about something Y-shaped that bent 90degrees at the split, so it would bolt on to the gooseneck and then bolt through the folded steel section.

Here's what I have so far:

The gooseneck, the LCD, a sheet of lexan, and the new piece of steel -
Group.jpg

A side view shows that the lexan can simply bridge the gap between the two risers -
Side.jpg

Close-up of the LCD screen -
LCD.jpg

BoySetsFire said:
what are the dimensions of the PCB and such for the PSOne screen, after it has been removed from its original housing?

If the PCB had been the size of the screen, it would have all fit in a DVD case - which would have been a cool look.

Bepunk said:
If the PCB had been the size of the screen, it would have all fit in a DVD case - which would have been a cool look.

thats one thing I hate about the PSOne screen, the PCB's weird ass rund design, pfft. as you said I think it would have been cool to be able to do a pull out screen in the DVD bay some how

It might still fit in my 5.25" bay ... but the point of this is to get it external. I have a long video cable, etc so I can move the screen around. The clamp on the opposite end will let me attach it to my table or up next to my bed in my dorm to watch television, divx, ... itunes.

Back