PSN Helps Cops Find Stolen PS3

HardOCP News

[H] News
I had no idea that the PlayStation Network gave out IP info to authorities in situations like this. On one hand, it helped recover the stolen merchandise, that part was cool. On the other hand, the idea that the PSN handed over the IP info so they could obtain a warrant from dude’s ISP is a bit disconcerting.

Police appeared on Waller's door after the purchase, and they inquired as to how he had come across the system. According to the Salisbury Post, the police were able to track the system whenever Waller turned on his system. The original owner of the PS3's PSN ID was still stored on the system, and it was set to auto-login when the system turned on. By tracking Waller's IP address, they were able to find him.

I think thats great. It's like having lowjack for your PS3.

The system can't be tracked when it's not plugged in (eg if it's stripped for parts), but it can be tracked when it's connected. I don't see this as any diffrent as a stolen VIN number popping up on the DMV screens when someone tries to activate registration on a stolen car.

While this was a nice outcome. Sony keeping IP info on record and handing it out is troublesome.

The if you didn't do anything wrong why should you worry crowd coming in....3....2.....1!

Except for the fact if you wipe the drive and start out new. Cant do that as easily with a car.

Seriously...This has never happened before?

Surely someone has tracked down a computer in a similar way...because moron who stole it didn't reformat or anything.

Apple has the technology to do this with Stolen Ipods but they have refused to offer any help to those who have had there ipods stolen. I think it is a damn good idea, if your afraid of having your IP recorded why the hell you even on the net, [H]ard|OCP even keeps track of IP addresses every time you make a post here on the forums. You might just be surprised of all the differant websites and even game servers that keep IP records of users. Why should Game Consoles be any differant, there still useing the same Internet as your computer.

[edit] Even if he bought a used system that turned out to be stolen its still stolen property, its no differant than if you buy something from a pawn shop, if it turns out to be stolen the police will still take it and its up to the pawn shop if they decide to compinsate you or not, but I am sure a small claims action will be in your favor.

While this was a nice outcome. Sony keeping IP info on record and handing it out is troublesome.

The if you didn't do anything wrong why should you worry crowd coming in....3....2.....1!

What? Why wouldn't they?

I keep IP info for our web applications at work and would not hesitate to hand it out for an investigation. Covering your ass is the norm.

[edit] Even if he bought a used system that turned out to be stolen its still stolen property, its no differant than if you buy something from a pawn shop, if it turns out to be stolen the police will still take it and its up to the pawn shop if they decide to compinsate you or not, but I am sure a small claims action will be in your favor.

then it should fall upon the pawn shop to at least compensate him the original price he paid or hell give him what they came there to purchase in the first place. It's the stores fault they bought a stolen PS3 and sold it to a honest customer.

"Waller is appreciative of the offer from the store but notes the Xbox isn't nearly as expensive or sophisticated as the PlayStation."

Sounds like a PR guy, maybe he wants to work for SONY.

I think this is FANTASTC!!! You know why? Cuz someone broke into my home last week and stole my PS3, my import controllers, my games... They even took my Kid's Nintendo DSs and my wife's purse. I hope the perpetrator logs online with it and gets caught!!

Good thing you have all those GPS locators attached to you at all times, which are also registered to your name in case you get stolen!

What happens when the thieves resell the PS3 (or whatever) to some unsuspecting victim and the cops come barging through their door for something they did not do?

I guess that's "acceptable" loss?

There's a million reasons why storing IP addresses for stolen merchandise and purchased merchandise is a bad idea. Especially with something like a gaming console which is highly mobile and is resold often.

xboxlive can track any system by it's serial # (or registered system's gamertag) for use by authorities as well, of course it requires a bit of paperwork by the police to request this kind of information. MS has dedicated contact info for this and have dealt closely in helping the authorities in the past. I see nothing wrong with that.

I totally agree with MrMike...

I work for a telecommunications company, and while rare, we do receive calls from customers as well as police asking if we can track a laptop/computer by it's IP or MAC address. It is fairly common practice, what's with all the "oooh's and ahhhh's...oh sony has my ip address!" nonsense?

If YOUR laptop was stolen would you want your ISP to say "sorry, that's classified" to the police when they come asking what the IP/MAC address is so they can try to track it down?

If Microsoft did this to find a missing X-Box we wouldn't be hearing these negative comments.

*sigh, tired of all the sony bashing*

If Microsoft did this to find a missing X-Box we wouldn't be hearing these negative comments.

*sigh, tired of all the sony bashing*

I disagree. I believe if this was Sony, Apple, or Microsoft, there would be some bashing. Not to argue your point, but because people love to bash the large corporations.

Anyway as a PS3 owner, I would like the idea of being able to recover the thing if some retard stole it. The thing wasn't cheap. Depending on how it is set up, it might automatically log on to an open wireless network, if it finds one. Though I'm not sure if it would ask first. Mine isn't open. ;)

What happens when the thieves resell the PS3 (or whatever) to some unsuspecting victim and the cops come barging through their door for something they did not do?

There's a million reasons why storing IP addresses for stolen merchandise and purchased merchandise is a bad idea. Especially with something like a gaming console which is highly mobile and is resold often.

You're looking at it entirely backwards.

Sony is not saying "This PS3 was stolen!"

Someone is reporting to the police that their PS3 was stolen. You can't just trade in your PS3 then report it stolen. It's a crime to falsify reports to the police last time I checked.

Wow, this post is just filled with dumb.

If you have an item that has been stolen and the cops find out you have it, they ask you where you got it. If you didn't steal it, you'll probably tell them the name of the person you bought it from, who most likely was the thief (or who can at least give them another name.)

Example: I had my '72 Fender Jazz Bass stolen out of my car about a year ago. I went to the local music store and gave them a description, and some kid came in with it a couple days later. The music store called me back, I called the police, and the police got the bass back and found out who the kid bought it from.

Bottom line, just because you posess something that was stolen doesn't mean the police assume you stole it. It does mean, however, that you need to be way more careful about where you get your stuff.

You know a lot of stolen goods are sold by a couple guys that were making a delivery and realized they over ordered the speakers and need to let the extras go at cost... since you look like a guy that could use them they figured you might be interested.

Those are stolen... happens all the time.

The unsuspecting victim recieved stolen property and the police should take it from them and give it back to the victim. That's the law and it's really the right way to do things. Remember this is a PS3, not something that's going to generate a 'no-knock' warrant with busted down doors and such, but rather a normal warrant. It also shows how important keeping your reciepts on a used console is rather important as well in case you do inadvertently purchase stolen goods. Of course if you buy a PS3 or such from the trunk of a strangers car it's all on you as it should be.

Apple has the technology to do this with Stolen Ipods but they have refused to offer any help to those who have had there ipods stolen. I think it is a damn good idea, if your afraid of having your IP recorded why the hell you even on the net, [H]ard|OCP even keeps track of IP addresses every time you make a post here on the forums. You might just be surprised of all the differant websites and even game servers that keep IP records of users. Why should Game Consoles be any differant, there still useing the same Internet as your computer.

I heard of some guy seriously into Apple stuff, that was able to track down his friends stolen iMac and activate the web cam to take a snapshot of the douch at the keyboard, a day or so later the laptop was returned and the douch is in jail.

I heard of some guy seriously into Apple stuff, that was able to track down his friends stolen iMac and activate the web cam to take a snapshot of the douch at the keyboard, a day or so later the laptop was returned and the douch is in jail.

Jesus christ, that's not at all what happened. The mac logged into the Instant Messenger automatically when it was turned on. So the guy's friend made a web page with a flash application that would take a picture with the laptops web cam and send it back to him. He IMed the guy telling him to check out the cool site and when the idiot thief hit "Allow" to let Flash use the camera it took a picture of him. They recognized the thief and that's how they were able to catch him.

There was no fancy tracking down and force activating of any web cams. They simply got super lucky that the thief was stupid to respond to the instant messages, was stupid enough to click "Allow", and that they recognized him.

The unsuspecting victim recieved stolen property and the police should take it from them and give it back to the victim. That's the law and it's really the right way to do things. Remember this is a PS3, not something that's going to generate a 'no-knock' warrant with busted down doors and such, but rather a normal warrant. It also shows how important keeping your reciepts on a used console is rather important as well in case you do inadvertently purchase stolen goods. Of course if you buy a PS3 or such from the trunk of a strangers car it's all on you as it should be.

I shouldn't have to archive my life to prove something I bought at some time in the past was legit or thought to be legit to prove my innocence from prosecution.

Back