PSN: Credit Card Details Up For Sale

Because any lie they tell now will make things so much worse for them. They're already being investigated by multiple governments. No matter how stupid a company is, their lawyers would not let them make a statement like that unless it was true.

Lets look at this

They're already being investigated by multiple governments

I Lol'd at that one. Sorry but since when will the gov do anything for the consumer. Sony is a big arse corp and has lots and lots of cash. Do you really think that Sony will be punished by this. Nope Sony will use those same lawyers to strong arm people into submission and accept what ever they ( consumer ) is offered ( if thats the case ).

When there's doubt then there's no doubt. (I love that quote)

I simply didn't feel satisfied taking Sony's word on this subject at all.

That's a whole lot different than telling people "It was." The other claims have not been substantiated at all.

It's important to give people the most accurate information possible right now.

Or you could pay nothing since there is no evidence that CC information was actually taken at this point in time. But hey if it was worth $20 to you, go for it.

Having no evidence is irrelevant. They waited to tell us that their were breached. They said there was no reason to believe that CC data was comprimised, not that it didn't happen.

This means you HAVE to contact your financial institution and take care of it now so you don't have to deal with fallout later. It would be stupid not to -- it's free. All you have to do is tell your CC provider that you made a purchase with Sony and that they have informed you that their security has been breached and you are taking preventative measures to ensure there are no fradulent charges.

I'm assuming the $20 was an upgrade to overnight shipping. When you cancel your credit card, you can't use it. I don't carry cash, so had I used my debit card to make purchases from Sony I would have gladly paid $20 to get a card to me next day instead of waiting a week.

• Q: Will our download history/friends list/settings be affected by the PSN downtime?
  • A: No, they will not.
  • Q: Will trophies that were earned in single-player offline games during the outage be intact when the service resumes?
  • A: These trophies are intact and will be re-synched when the network is once again operational.
  • Q: Will my PS+ cloud saves be retrievable?
  • A: Yes, once PSN is restored.
  • Q: What if we have a subscription to PS3 MMOs DC Universe Online or Free Realms? Will we get compensation for that?
  • A: From Sony Online Entertainment: “We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio. We are also working on a “make good” plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.”
  • Q: Will there be a goodwill gesture for the time we haven’t been able to utilize PSN/Qriocity?
  • A: We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online.

Thank god my trophies will still be in tact. They are what I was most concerned about. ROFL!!!

That's a whole lot different than telling people "It was." The other claims have not been substantiated at all.

It's important to give people the most accurate information possible right now

Fair enough.

Unfortunately, I really didn't and don't feel very confident that the bolded item has been met to my personal satisfaction coming from Sony. YMMV. :)

When there's doubt then there's no doubt. (I love that quote)

I simply didn't feel satisfied taking Sony's word on this subject at all.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Hackers_put_up_PSN_Credit_Card_Info_for_Sale/551-115147-585.html

^^ Case in point.

^^This and Exactly the point.

As Q-BZ posted

I certainly would not believe any of the whitewashing Sony PR damage control spin on any of this

Sony tried to cover this up before and keep the 77 million users in the dark. Bet they will use any tool in the tool box to cover their ass's big time now.

I can't edit:

Demon1000 said:
I'm assuming the $20 was an upgrade to overnight shipping. When you cancel your credit card, you can't use it. I don't carry cash, so had I used my debit card to make purchases from Sony I would have gladly paid $20 to get a card to me next day instead of waiting a week.

It was.

5-7 business days would have been free. That simply was not acceptable. I need to have a card.

I cancelled my CC around 1pm and 9am the next day Fed Ex had the new one in my hand. Well worth it for me.

Sony tried to cover this up before and keep the 77 million users in the dark. Bet they will use any tool in the tool box to cover their ass's big time now.

Why do you guys just assume they went into cover up mode immediately? It can take a while to figure out what was accessed and how its accessed. If they immediately said "Holy shit some bad stuff happened! We don't know what happened or what is missing, but hold onto your hats!" people would be just as upset.

I Lol'd at that one. Sorry but since when will the gov do anything for the consumer. Sony is a big arse corp and has lots and lots of cash. Do you really think that Sony will be punished by this. Nope Sony will use those same lawyers to strong arm people into submission and accept what ever they ( consumer ) is offered ( if thats the case ).

Um... yeah, they will if they did something wrong. Governments need to look like they're tough on this sort of thing. For the breach itself, they could be fined a little bit of money. It's really no big deal to them. But if they mislead their customers after the breach, that's a whole different ball of wax.

Um... yeah, they will if they did something wrong. Governments need to look like they're tough on this sort of thing. For the breach itself, they could be fined a little bit of money. It's really no big deal to them. But if they mislead their customers after the breach, that's a whole different ball of wax.

I can agree and live with that statement. Fair enough, lets go with that and see what transpires further in this issue.

Haven't bought anything on PSN for about 3 years, and my cc acct has changed since then, as well as my address.

Guess I'll continue to not purchase anything on PSN. Is there actually stuff on there worth buying?

Haven't bought anything on PSN for about 3 years, and my cc acct has changed since then, as well as my address.

Guess I'll continue to not purchase anything on PSN. Is there actually stuff on there worth buying?

There are a large number of great titles on PSN.

I only play Uncharted and God of War on the PS3, but was thinking about picking up the Prince of Persia re-releases on PSN. I might have to look at importing the physical copy instead.

There are a large number of great titles on PSN.

also they're running a promo through the month of April, if you pre-order any new game they include an 'identity theft' pre-order bonus. not sure what all is included, but could be a good deal if you were planning on buying the game anyway.

Anyone remember the credit card processing company got hacked a year and a half or so ago? Remember what they said?

• The said everything was fine
  • There were no reports of issues
  • Our banks sent us a letter assuring us nothing was wrong
  • The information was encrypted
  • There is no evidence that ANY CC info was taken
  • ETC. ETC. ETC.
3 months later, my wife goes to use her card at the store.... DECLINED. What? Try it again....DECLINED. Go to the ATM to withdraw cash....$0.00 in checking. Tried savings.....$0.00. Wiped out and maxed out.

Bank replaced my money...in 5 - 7 work days. :mad:

Guess how it happened...remember that non-stolen-totally-encrypted-no-proof it had even been taken data? Yup! Real nice.

I only play Uncharted and God of War on the PS3, but was thinking about picking up the Prince of Persia re-releases on PSN. I might have to look at importing the physical copy instead.

Or you could use a prepaid card like this: http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-store/purchasing/

A PSN Network card.

Don't stress it. You did the right thing in cancelling the old card and what not. Sony can go F' themselves.

That was my whole purpose. No stress. :)

Steve: I remember that debacle and some others all too well.

^^ Well the good thing about all these bank/credit card smartphone apps is that you can setup push notification to get sent to you for whenever there is a transaction done... I love my JPMorgan Chase iphone app for this...except when it wakes me up 3 am to tell me my payroll check was deposited in my account :p

I actually didn't even know I signed up for PSN until I got an email from Sony, and then I remembered I did it for my PSP. I don't think I ever put any CC info on there, but it'd be nice if I could check.

The passwords and other personal data wasn't encrypted or hashed, so that stuff alone can be troublesome, particularly with a smart hacker willing to devote some time.

The CC#s were encrypted, but it's still unclear whether they were hacked from the inside or from the outside and whether or not the person(s) got the key to decrypt the info. Apparently the FBI is investigating, so don't hold your breath.

It's just fail after fail with these guys.

Just yesterday I read an article that stated Sony didn't know if CC info had been stolen or not. Well, this story proves that was a big fat lie. Good thing I cancelled my card.

Even if it were true that the Credit Card info got hacked, it would still have to be decrypted to reveal the actual numbers, addresses etc.

--
Dr. Insight

Didn't you read the article? It claims the numbers are not encrypted.

If you CC does not offer this option get a better credit card that offers it.

MY CC has a password tied to it for online transactions. Problem is that only some stores make use of it as it is optional to them, it should be made mandatory.

I called and had all of mine changed.

I can't believe how poorly their handling this. On the plus side, I bet we get a $5 credit to PSN for our inconveniences... maybe $10 if, or should I say when, the class action suit settles....

Until they alter the EULA to exclude future anti-trust suits as the Supremes have allowed.

LOL, I hope this brings down Sony. :D (I know it won't, but a man can still dream!)

Several co-workers of mine do not know which card they used nor remember their password (auto-login anyone?) and did not know that CC data might have been taken until I informed them. Some of them, like myself, just got the email a day or two ago explaining the situation and pointing us to a credit report agency.

LOL, I hope this brings down Sony. :D (I know it won't, but a man can still dream!)

Eh. I hates Apple and would never buy their product, but it doesn't mean I'd like to see the company crash and burn. The only people who would suffer are the employees.

We have the choice to not buy the product of the companies we don't like ;)

But what I'd like to see is these hackers being thrown in prison for the crime they do. A crime is still a crime regardless what people like Anon claims they are trying to do. Worthless bastards.

Eh. I hates Apple and would never buy their product, but it doesn't mean I'd like to see the company crash and burn. The only people who would suffer are the employees.

We have the choice to not buy the product of the companies we don't like ;)

But what I'd like to see is these hackers being thrown in prison for the crime they do. A crime is still a crime regardless what people like Anon claims they are trying to do. Worthless bastards.

Consumers also suffer when a company goes down. Competition is a good thing.

Just yesterday I read an article that stated Sony didn't know if CC info had been stolen or not. Well, this story proves that was a big fat lie. Good thing I cancelled my card.

Did you even read the article? Let me guess you also believe all the credit card information was left unencrypted? lol.:rolleyes:

I expect I read more than you do. CC data was encrypted but I doubt personal data was and that is more of a concern to me than some CC that is now cancelled.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/2...-playstation-data.html?storylink=omni_popular

Sony Corp., a day after acknowledging that credit card and other personal data had been left vulnerable for as many as 77 million users of its PlayStation Network, was sued on Wednesday.

Sony said it had no direct evidence that credit card information was taken, but said “we cannot rule out the possibility.”

In the lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 36-year-old Kristopher Johns of Birmingham, Ala., said he was suing on behalf of all the network’s users.

The suit alleges that Sony “failed to encrypt data and establish adequate firewalls to handle a server intrusion contingency, failed to provide prompt and adequate warnings of security breaches, and unreasonably delayed in bringing the PSN service back on line.”

Sony had no immediate response to the suit.

Did you even read the article? Let me guess you also believe all the credit card information was left unencrypted? lol.:rolleyes:

Further proof I probably read more and know more about this than you. Take note of the part where it says personal data was not encrypted. I don't need no steenkin' roll eyes icon either.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...crypted-and-is-physically-moving-hardware.ars

"Another interesting revelation is the fact that some of the data was encrypted, and some wasn't. "The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack," Seybold wrote. He also pointed out that the information was behind both physical and electronic safeguards, which means the attack may have been carried out by an employee."

And this...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/ars-readers-report-credit-card-fraud-blame-sony.ars

The number of Ars Technica readers who have had issues with their credit cards in the past few days, and have commented, e-mailed, or Tweeted about the issue, is alarming. We may be dealing with a coincidence in timing, but when your inbox is heavy with people saying they're fighting fraudulent credit card charges, it may be the first signs of fire somewhere in the smoke.

Back