PSID revert tool for Crucial M500 SSD

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
So I have a Crucial M500 SSD (firmware MU03) that was hardware encrypted with full disk encryption security software. I don't have the password to unlock the drive, but I would like to wipe it out so it can be used again. I used the Crucial Storage Executive utility and it says that there are "No Drives Found supporting PSID revert operation". BUT the PSID is printed on the drive label, so there IS a PSID on this drive.

I have already tried the following:
Plugged the drive in another computer running Win7 (so the SSD is "secondary"), went to disk management and set the Crucial SSD as "offline".
Tried MSED developed by "r0m30" (now renamed to 'sedutil')
sedutil says there are no Opal supported drives found (the SSD is Opal 2).

I have already done a PSID revert with Intel SSD's (using Intel's SSD Pro Administration Tool) and had NO PROBLEMS resetting the PSID on an Intel SSD. Intel also provides the Pro Admin tool freely available off their site. I've had experience resetting the PSID on Intel SSD's and they aren't a bunch of assholes about it, unlike Crucial

Crucial support blows - their Storage Executive utility doesn't work and for the longest time, they didn't even want to provide customers with a PSID reset utility. Someone actually had to write their own utility to perform PSID resets, but I haven't had much luck getting it to work.

Anyone here know how to reset the PSID on a shitty Crucial M500 SSD? For the record, its my customer's SSD. This is why I stress to people to always buy Intel SSD's. Please tell me that someone has dealt with hardware encrypted Crucial SSD's and have actually experienced these problems and managed to reset the PSID on a Crucial drive....

Last edited:
Back