PSA: check your pinouts on both parts before doing something sketchy.

Lunas

[H]F Junkie
Here is a list of drives that do not like receiving the wrong voltages on multiple rails.

Lg blu-ray player
WD blue sata SSD
Seagate momentus 500 gb 2.5inch

They received 5v to the 3.3 and 12v to the 5v lines while the 5v got 3.3 or 0 I had a diagram saying the 3.3 line was not populated on the EVGA psu in the perif port.
I needed a second set of sata power lines knowing most drives don't use the 3.3v line I checked if I could run them off the perif port of my EVGA modular sfx psu yeah that part was fine my blunder was not checking the pinouts of the donor cord from a Corsair modular psu.
Corsair swaps the 3.3v for the 5v and the 5v for the 12v position luckily the grounds are in the same spots. Had I checked the pinouts remembering that the psu side isn't a standard but is left up to the psu manufacturer I could have spent the last 2 hours not smelling the magic smoke of those devices killed and would have instead been playing around on the PC instead...

It could have been worse

I'll post pics of the carnage if you want later there are small burn marks on the SSD power management area. Not sure if replacing some caps will bring it back. Not much else to see...

Here is a list of drives that do not like receiving the wrong voltages on multiple rails.

There's not a lot of devices that enjoy 12v on a 5v input. I'm not surprised the magic smoke escaped. Carnage pics please, I would assume these are beyond repair, but if you've got time and parts, replacing the bits that blew up could be fun; the problem is if any active electronics got those too many volts they may have been damaged, but not enough for rapid disaaaembly, and you won't know until you've done the other work. Of course, the other issue is it can be hard to read the part labels on blow capacitors.

The burn marks on the metal top are normally over the cluster I did a closeup on the two caps on either side of it looked more cooked than they do now as some of the stuff scratched off. Not great with smd rework and nothing exceptionally valuable on the drive just a windows 10 install for a htpc I think there might have been a few movies or tv shows on it. Either way 25 dollar drive not worth spending too much to recover it I might poke at the caps with a multimeter to see if they are blown open and might solder a pair on top of them to bypass just to see if it will come back for data recovery but otherwise tack it on my wall as a reminder to check both sides not just 1
0514231319_HDR.jpg0514231319.jpg0514231319a.jpg0514231320.jpg

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this last night while in bed. modular PSU's have been around for 20 years or so, in that time, they could have standardized the pinouts and cut down on e-waste from left over cables.
I have cables from various PSU's that are just taking up space and I can't remember what a lot of them are from.

I was just thinking about this last night while in bed. modular PSU's have been around for 20 years or so, in that time, they could have standardized the pinouts and cut down on e-waste from left over cables.
I have cables from various PSU's that are just taking up space and I can't remember what a lot of them are from.
Corsair are kinda obvious but some might say on the connector who made them.

Corsair are kinda obvious but some might say on the connector who made them.
Lately I've been saving the boxes and keeping the cables in them. Some of the EVGA PSU's I've bought came with a nice EVGA branded storage bag to hold the extra cables.

Lately I've been saving the boxes and keeping the cables in them. Some of the EVGA PSU's I've bought came with a nice EVGA branded storage bag to hold the extra cables.
Yeah I have 3-4 Corsair bags kicking around this is my first evga modular so I grabbed a Corsair SATA cable checked that the perif socket had the same pinout as the sata socket then plugged away not checking that Corsair pinned theirs out the same...

Yah they really need to be more clearly identified. EVGA has a nice writeup on their site and a compatibility chart. They also tend to put part of the model name on the end that goes into the PSU. But I don't remember Corsair, seasonic or any of the budget brands labeling the cables. It's as if they don't care if people burn their shit down, what does it take to label one end ffs

When I swapped from a Corsair PSU to an EVGA one, I decided to just buy the EVGA 12pin cable vs trying to re-pin the Corsair one if it was different.
70572112755__6543EEB0-E6DE-4EE3-97AF-B4F43E9A0866.JPEG

70572164535__64C7F378-86F6-45E9-AE90-9784D5DCB9D5.jpeg

The problem isnt at the device those are standardized the problem is at the psu side which is manufacture dependant. Pc mag actually has diagrams of them which i found after the fact...

Last edited:
Back