• I own a PS4, but will not buy the PS4K

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • I own a PS4, and will buy a PS4K

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I do not own a PS4, but I will buy the PS4K

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I do not own a PS4, but I will buy the regular PS4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not own a PS4, and I will not buy a PS4K or PS4 / No Response - See Results

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
The specs have leaked for the rumored PS4k along with other news.

ps4kneospecs-555x201.png

Additionally, beginning in October, every PS4 game will be required to ship with a “Base Mode” for the original PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for the new model. Furthermore, games launched in late September will require a day one patch to add a NEO Mode, NEO-ready games can launch before the system itself is available, and previous released titles can be upgraded via a patch with NEO features. Despite the October requirement for games, Sony didn’t mention a release window for NEO in their documents.

By running PS4 games in NEO Mode, developers will be able to use the extra memory and hardware upgrades to offer higher and more stable frame-rates, improved graphics fidelity, and additional graphics features when players are using a 1080p TV. Sony writes in their documents that games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame-rate of the game on the original PS4 model.

SOURCE

I'm hoping the physical hardware itself feels more 'premium'. Always felt my PS4 was a bit creaky sounding and cheap feeling.

As for the upgrade rumours, this is the way to do an upgrade. Make sure your existing userbase isn't left in the dusk.

I'm in the "wait and see" catagory. I only buy consoles if they offer at least a handful of good exclusives, otherwise I pass...

I have a PS4 and I would buy IF there continue to be worthwhile exclusives and IF there are concrete improvements to both future and existing games.

If I had cause to buy a PS4, then I would pick up the PS4K, it only makes since.

Problem is that there hasn't been a single PS4 exclusive that appeals to me, the Xbox works better for me as a media device and I find the dualshock controllers uncomfortable..

I'm somewhat peeved about it given i've only had the ps4 for ~4 months now....

We'll see if there's any must have titles for the new stuff, I doubt it given that i'm not really that much into VR. The 3d doesn't work for me so it's effectively just expensive head tracking.

I already have a machine in my living room that can do 4K. Have no plans in purchasing a PS4 or 4.5

The information that has come out shows they're shifting on how console's are handled. Especially how they're requiring games come out with two configs after a certain date. One for the NEO and one for the 4.

Xbox One better follow suit, or they'll need to launch an Xbox Two rather quickly (acknowledging they've lost this gen).

Btw, just looking at the specs given it seems this may be a modified Radeon 280 or so. These fall between the 270 and 280x. The original PS4 used a modified 7870 (fell between 7850 and 7870 performance wise).

They likely wouldn't use a 3 series because they're usually a generation behind (as design+testing started long ago).

As long as they fix the eject button issue with the new design, I'm upgrading.

Highly unlikely. I only have a handful of PS4 games with no other exclusives in sight after Uncharted 4 hits.
To get me to buy another console they'll need to offer me some kind of major trade-in option or a cheap price for current owners.
Either that or a promise of 1080p/60 across the board. That's the only thing I honestly care about that the current one can't do.

After I beat Uncharted 4, will sell my PS4. If Bloodborne 2 ever comes out, will buy a PS4.5, and then return it within 30 days for a refund.

Have 3 original PS4 games, and 2 remasters. All PS exclusives. Not worth $400, and there will probably only be like 2-3 games in the future I'd want that are solely on PS.

I wonder how many people are going to buy the 4.5 and return the old one to walmart

I wonder how many people are going to buy the 4.5 and return the old one to walmart

Pretty sure there's gonna be some discernible difference in the body to where you couldn't just swap the units like that.

If it has UHD bluray support, i'll have one on launch day.

If it doesn't, i'll probably still have one on launch day. For me, Sony is like the ex girlfriend you keep screwing. Every few months she comes out with something new, and every few months she completely shits on you.

I am a little curious about details. After Uncharted 4, I don't have a lot of motivation to keep my PS4. I could always sell it on Craiglist and get a few hundred backs toward one of these if it seems worthwhile. The sooner the better, though. The bottom is going to fall out of the used PS4 market once this thing hits.

I am a little curious about details. After Uncharted 4, I don't have a lot of motivation to keep my PS4. I could always sell it on Craiglist and get a few hundred backs toward one of these if it seems worthwhile. The sooner the better, though. The bottom is going to fall out of the used PS4 market once this thing hits.

My thoughts exactly. I can live without the ps4 and perhaps put the money selling it toward something PC related that matters.
After UC4 I will probably unload the PS4. However, if Hot Shots Golf is out soon and amazing and keeps the Online Golf stuff going i may keep it just for that damn game. If the new HSG comes out on PS3 I will dump it.

With everything being hypothetical right now - I wonder if older games could potentially be upgraded. I'd still love to play games like Bloodborne at 60fps. Obviously I'm sure not every game would support it, but that's one of the few things that would get me to bite.

With everything being hypothetical right now - I wonder if older games could potentially be upgraded. I'd still love to play games like Bloodborne at 60fps. Obviously I'm sure not every game would support it, but that's one of the few things that would get me to bite.

Well, it could be 60fps IF it was being held back by the gpu and not by the cpu much, and IF FromSoftware chooses to patch it (older games in theory can be patched in to support Neo features), just expect the double durability bug of DS1 pc to show up ;) :p ...

BTW for those that missed it, MS did not deny that they were gonna do the same, they just said that if/when they do it they wanted to be a meaningful jump for themselves, and well, a jump to 4.2 Gflops graphics wise may only be 2.25x for the PS4K, but it would be a 3x jump for the XB1, kinda meaningful huh? :)

The only reason I won't get one is I don't play my PS4 that much to begin with. So for me the regular PS4 is good enough. If an upgraded XB1 comes out I would buy it day one because I play my XB1 all the time.

The only reason I won't get one is I don't play my PS4 that much to begin with. So for me the regular PS4 is good enough. If an upgraded XB1 comes out I would buy it day one because I play my XB1 all the time.

I would start saving for 2017 then, which is more or less the expected time (doubt that the christmas 2016 rumor holds any water, first half of 2017 is the one more likely).
So far AMD announced *several* semi custom design wins, for the 2nd half of 2016 and 2017 = NX, PS4K and... ;)

I would start saving for 2017 then, which is more or less the expected time (doubt that the christmas 2016 rumor holds any water, first half of 2017 is the one more likely).
So far AMD announced *several* semi custom design wins, for the 2nd half of 2016 and 2017 = NX, PS4K and... ;)

I'm already planning on getting the next xbox. I think 2017 is more realistic, but part me of thinks something is coming this year from microsoft. As far as the NX, Nintendo would have to come up with something big for me to get that at launch. They would probably have to show something like a real Ocarina of Time remake in the Unreal Engine 4 for me to get it.

Back