PS4 vs PC, Project Scorpio?

aFive

2[H]4U
I am sorry in advance, I am not trying to start a war between PC vs Console here. I have always been a PC Gamer, but ended up playing casually on PS4 since I was so busy and wasn't in a position to upgrade at the time.

I have been seeing a trend of games being developer for consoles and then ported to PC, where they lack features and graphics quite a bit sadly. Which, got me wondering, is it worth building a new rig? Watching a lot of comparison videos I noticed little difference between platforms graphically. Yes, the higher FPS does help on PC, but I am not too worried about that aspect. Given that Youtube is compressed, am I seeing less of a graphical difference because of that? Or because games cross platforms are pretty similar? I did play some Witcher 3 on PC, that was a major difference. BF4 on PS4 is also pretty depressing, ton of texture popping, not loaded huge map areas, terrible draw distance, 0 AA, poor resolution. However, watching BF1 videos of PS4 vs PC side by side, I do not see too much.

Also, with project Scorpio. I am seeing that Xbox One games can be played on PC, which is awesome! But, would those games be better graphically on PC?

Does anyone with first hand experience with both systems have any input? Thanks :).

My experience with Forza Horizon 3 is that both the PC and Xbox versions look the same. The former simply has better viewing distance and framerate. With Battlefield 1 the experience in the open beta was much better on PC in lag and framerate, but again both looked visually the same to me. With Battlefield, though, I wouldn't judge until the retail version gets released. The map we got was open and barren.

In my opinion I would still purchase the PC version due to more resolution options and higher possible framerate, even if it were hard to discern a difference to the console version in graphic fidelity.

These are just a couple of examples, though. We still have a couple major releases coming soon, the first of which is Gears 4. Cross platform and DX12 titles are still in their infancy. Remember that the 360 and PS3 often looked better subjectively than PC games at the time due to the transitional period in hardware and API.

Framerate and flexibility (you can use any control scheme you like) are probably the biggest advantage for the PC. If you don't mind playing everything at 30fps or lower and are happy with a pad all of the time you might as well just rock the consoles. In terms of pure graphical fidelity, they're pretty good now. Most PC games will still look better playing at the same framerate, but it isn't like 5-6 years ago or anything.
I find playing at 30fps to be horrible, but if you don't care, the difference is much smaller than in the past.
It'll be interesting to see what the differences look like once 4K enters the mix. It takes a hell of a PC to do 4K...but if you only want 30fps, you can rock a 980 and do it for most games.

Hmm, thanks. I'm kind of sad that the graphical difference isn't as huge as it used to be. I saw a video of the witcher at 60fps and it does look way more immersive that way. I'm sure the texture quality will also be better, specially since I'd be playing at higher than 1080p. Isn't bf1 going to be rendered at 900p on PS4?

what domingo said, basically sums it up. yes youtube compression will hide a bit of details. it will depend on the developer. Doom was cross plat, and showed in a way a bit of difference. while others may not.. another plus the pc have over console is even if it doesn't have greater textures etc, you could possible run it at higher res for a sharper image. Its safe to say, pc still holds a graphics advantage . On the other hand, console still have a slight to major advantage over usability. Atleast on xbox its easy to invite to party, to invite to game, or both. Doing this quick and easy and while various party members are in various games is awesome. also doing that across games is icing on the cake.

Hmm, thanks. I'm kind of sad that the graphical difference isn't as huge as it used to be. I saw a video of the witcher at 60fps and it does look way more immersive that way. I'm sure the texture quality will also be better, specially since I'd be playing at higher than 1080p. Isn't bf1 going to be rendered at 900p on PS4?

I think it just goes back to a small decrease on the computational power requirements to graphics fidelity increase. Even with ps3/xbox360 to one/ps4, (around 8x) a lot of people didn't think it was a big jump. EX: Destiny looked good on 360. I was kinda sad and impressed when I got the one version.. impressed for how well the 360 did, sad for how well the one did.

Interesting, I was one of the ones who actually thought it was a major jump. I had a PS3, even a 360 that I sold way before the PS3. The only thing I really used it for was streaming and NBA 2k series. Everything else, was so behind the times compared to pc. When I finally decided to buy a PS4, I kind of settled into the whole "games are pretty good on it and I can deal with a little worse graphics" thing. I even got my buddy into mafia 2 on PS3, then I let him play it on my PC and he really couldn't stop talking about it lol.

I'm just curious, if bf4 struggled so bad with loading textures, AA, overall immersion... how can bf1 be any different when the game is substantially more demanding graphically?

I am glad I waited on purchasing both consoles, I might get both new consoles if the price is good on Scorpi.

Depends on the game, but there are some that are really quite impressive on the PS4 - even compared to a cutting edge PC.

EA Star Wars Battlefront comes to mind. That game looks really quite good on PS4. Surprisingly so. I play on the PC primarily because I prefer keyboard and mouse - but my 4.5Ghz quad core PC with a Fury X card and 16GB of RAM on a 32" 1440P display looks better, but not notably different given the price gap as compared to the PS4 version on my home theater projector at 1080p. One of my console friends said the difference was pretty much immaterial.

I'll always prefer PC based on my preference for mouse and keyboard.

I'm just curious, if bf4 struggled so bad with loading textures, AA, overall immersion... how can bf1 be any different when the game is substantially more demanding graphically?

BF4 "struggled so bad" according to whom?

In any case, Frostbite engine optimization is why BF1 will run as good or better than BF4 on same hardware, just like Battlefront did.

BF4 "struggled so bad" according to whom?

In any case, Frostbite engine optimization is why BF1 will run as good or better than BF4 on same hardware, just like Battlefront did.
Me, was my overall perception when switching to PS4 as compared to playing it on pc.

Somewhat related - how much does a SSD help with loading times on the consoles? I know on the last gen it was a little quicker, but minimally. Any better this time around?

There are certain games that showed higher detailing on the PC version. I prefer the PC version because of that. But, more games are released on the consoles these days

Somewhat related - how much does a SSD help with loading times on the consoles? I know on the last gen it was a little quicker, but minimally. Any better this time around?
On Xbox ONE, an external USB 3.0 7200 RPM drive is a huge improvement over the internal 5200 RPM SATA 2 drive. In Forza 6 loading times can be up to 10 seconds faster.

Depends on the game, but there are some that are really quite impressive on the PS4 - even compared to a cutting edge PC.

EA Star Wars Battlefront comes to mind. That game looks really quite good on PS4. Surprisingly so. I play on the PC primarily because I prefer keyboard and mouse - but my 4.5Ghz quad core PC with a Fury X card and 16GB of RAM on a 32" 1440P display looks better, but not notably different given the price gap as compared to the PS4 version on my home theater projector at 1080p. One of my console friends said the difference was pretty much immaterial.

I'll always prefer PC based on my preference for mouse and keyboard.
not everyone supports this idea but there are some adapters that give you the mouse and keyboard back on console. I have the Xim 4 and it works very well in MOST games, I think the only game I've tried on both the PS4 and PC that it didn't compare to well was overwatch but beyond that It feels very close to gaming on a PC.

Well I love my PC for gaming my three biggest issues are
1) Shitty ports, feels like 75% of games that release on the PC are just bad ports of the console version
2) Lack of dedicated servers, I hate having to worry about hackers and not being able to pick my servers. If im forced to join random servers anyways might as well stick to console matchmaking
3) Almost no friends I have game on the PC, mos tof them are PS4 players so if I want to play with RL friends I need my console lol

not everyone supports this idea but there are some adapters that give you the mouse and keyboard back on console. I have the Xim 4 and it works very well in MOST games, I think the only game I've tried on both the PS4 and PC that it didn't compare to well was overwatch but beyond that It feels very close to gaming on a PC.

Well I love my PC for gaming my three biggest issues are
1) Shitty ports, feels like 75% of games that release on the PC are just bad ports of the console version
2) Lack of dedicated servers, I hate having to worry about hackers and not being able to pick my servers. If im forced to join random servers anyways might as well stick to console matchmaking
3) Almost no friends I have game on the PC, mos tof them are PS4 players so if I want to play with RL friends I need my console lol
I can't play RL on console...I tried...I really did...but it plays so sluggish and there's input lag that will make me miss all the aerials.

Ports now days are much better (seeing architecture is much more similar now), and if it is shitty, you can bet someone out there makes an unofficial patch for it.

Dedicated servers are a problem for everyone not just PC....in fact you are less likely to get ded servers on console than PC.

Even the worst PC ports are still better than the consoles. That's in nearly every instance. I'm even talking about games like Unity and Arkham Knight. Things like SLI might be busted and performance might be off, but you're still going to be able to crank the resolution up, crank the details (maybe even infuse some more with mods), and play at 30fps like the consoles. Plus the game is $10 cheaper if not more via CDKeys and Green Man.
The social aspect is the main PC weakness. Even with "social enabled" platforms like Steam, there's no competition there. None can touch the PSN or especially XBL. It's one of the reasons I'm not really against the Windows Store because it at least tries to integrate XBL's social interface with those games.

Even the worst PC ports are still better than the consoles. That's in nearly every instance. I'm even talking about games like Unity and Arkham Knight. Things like SLI might be busted and performance might be off, but you're still going to be able to crank the resolution up, crank the details (maybe even infuse some more with mods), and play at 30fps like the consoles. Plus the game is $10 cheaper if not more via CDKeys and Green Man.
The social aspect is the main PC weakness. Even with "social enabled" platforms like Steam, there's no competition there. None can touch the PSN or especially XBL. It's one of the reasons I'm not really against the Windows Store because it at least tries to integrate XBL's social interface with those games.
True, I had bf4 side by side today on 1440p max vs 1080p tv on PS4. Also had dragon age inquisition, only had the beginning missing since I didn't have save games on pc.

Anyway, the comparisons I've seen on YouTube don't do it justice. First, levels that are very green have substantially denser grass, with much better draw distance and sky effects on PC. Reflections are also better. But, the most noticeable piece to me was the sharpness, all textures were exceptionally clear.

In dragon age, 8 noticed better textures as well.

Take a look at these two screenshots I took from bf1 early comparison video. Look st how much denser the grass is, as eel as grass fill distance to the left.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.PNG
    IMG_0211.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0212.PNG
    IMG_0212.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
My only problem with games on consoles are the frame rate.

Sure high power PC can put out better graphics, higher resolutions etc. but at a cost.

I used to strongly prefer PCs because the resolution was so terrible on consoles but since the Xbox 360 and PS3, the resolution has been acceptable.

Back