PS4 on a 4K monitor.

Mopower

Gawd
I want to get a new monitor either a 1440p or a 4K monitor. I want to be able to connect a PS4 to the monitor to fulfill my Destiny addiction.

My question is will a PS4 display a 1080p image on the monitor and will it have black bars on the sides or top and bottom of the 1080p image? Or will it blow the image up to the size of the monitor. I don't mind the monitor upscaling the image if it does it correctly. I don't mind playing the PS4 in a 1080p box either. Does this depend on the monitor?

If the monitor scales it properly, 1080p will scale up perfectly on a 4K monitor, with each pixel from the 1080p image being represented by 4 pixels on the 4K display. No fuzziness, no black bars on sides or top. This is the reason why 3840x2160 was chosen to be the resolution for 4K.

A 4K monitor or TV that did not scale 1080p properly would be really stupid. I'd like to think that no 4K display manufacturer would be that stupid.

If the monitor scales it properly, 1080p will scale up perfectly on a 4K monitor, with each pixel from the 1080p image being represented by 4 pixels on the 4K display.

AFAIK, there is currently no 4K monitor that has scaling-by-multiplying behavior implemented for divisible resolutions. So even 1080p is scaled to 2160p with undisableable filtering that results in somewhat blurry image anyway. For computers, this could theoretically be fixed on GPU-driver level (though isn't yet) for GPU-scaling case, but this is not applicable to consoles like PS4.

Maybe some UHD TVs (not monitors) have proper FHD→UHD scaling without blurring, but it's unknown with certainty.

But, is the BenQ brand as good as Dell monitors in terms of Quality Control?

Regarding PS4 on a 4K monitor, I think a 1080p monitor will be better until a monitor with perfect scaling comes out.

AFAIK, there is currently no 4K monitor that has scaling-by-multiplying behavior implemented for divisible resolutions. So even 1080p is scaled to 2160p with undisableable filtering that results in somewhat blurry image anyway. For computers, this could theoretically be fixed on GPU-driver level (though isn't yet) for GPU-scaling case, but this is not applicable to consoles like PS4.

Maybe some UHD TVs (not monitors) have proper FHD→UHD scaling without blurring, but it's unknown with certainty.

Ack. Why would they go out of their way to not do the simple thing?

It amazes me how monitor manufacturers are clever enough to make the displays in the first place but them make such monumental blunders with simple things like not being able to scale 4k to 1080p properly or adding shit coatings to the screens!!

If the monitor scales it properly, 1080p will scale up perfectly on a 4K monitor, with each pixel from the 1080p image being represented by 4 pixels on the 4K display. No fuzziness, no black bars on sides or top. This is the reason why 3840x2160 was chosen to be the resolution for 4K.

A 4K monitor or TV that did not scale 1080p properly would be really stupid. I'd like to think that no 4K display manufacturer would be that stupid.
LOL, dude, it is already 2015, how did you not realize yet that monitor manufacturers are f*cking retards?
Make list of idiotic ways you can screw up otherwise good screen, even those that are just in firmware and would cost extra $0 to not release crap and you can bet that there is at least few dozens monitors that are screwed up with those ridiculous issues, most often few at once (especially if it is Dell :eek: ).

Then there are clients who are also stupid and say uneducated wishful thinking crap. Like for years lots of people though that all LCD refresh screen only when there is change on screen and basically all LCD's work like G-Sync/Freesync. It is ofcourse only wishful thinking on their part but that did not stop them from spaming any discussion about those things with their ignorant uneducated opinions. Same is now with 4K, there is whole army of people ready to tell you that there are four pixels for one 1080p pixel thus picture looks good... and it kinda make sense, does it? But no, it if something make sense to you then you can bet there is tons of bilinear scaling or even more 'advanced' scaling with even more blur and then sharpen filters to recover sharpness which make things even worse.

If someone do not describe in details how he tested his monitor and do not make close-up photos with monitor scaling vs. image scaled with point scaling then you can discard such opinions. People usually either play 1080p movie or run FXAA game on such 4K monitor/TV and then try to convince you that 4K have 4 pixels for one pixel thus image have to be good even if most of those people do not know what pixel even mean :eek: Like seriously, they do not...

So having used this monitor NCX and you reviewed it favorably, you would say its a good monitor for console gaming??

Any info you could provide on that front would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

It scales 1080p well, can be considered delay free, has 60hz TN-like pixel response times, minimal glow, near perfect colour presets (once set to the User mode and the colour temperature is changed from Normal to User) and wide viewing angles. It's as good as a monitor without an A-TW polarizer, high hz and Sync tech can be, but it's matte and I prefer glossy and Plasma Deposition Coated monitors for console gaming. I found the BenQ dull and boring after a while compared to my glossy Crossover 2720MDP which is slightly inferior in every way except colour vibrancy and clarity.

It scales 1080p well, can be considered delay free, has 60hz TN-like pixel response times, minimal glow, near perfect colour presets (once set to the User mode and the colour temperature is changed from Normal to User) and wide viewing angles. It's as good as a monitor without an A-TW polarizer, high hz and Sync tech can be, but it's matte and I prefer glossy and Plasma Deposition Coated monitors for console gaming. I found the BenQ dull and boring after a while compared to my glossy Crossover 2720MDP which is slightly inferior in every way except colour vibrancy and clarity.

Thanks for the response! I will remove the matte film, I have done it on many other monitors with no probelms like the Samsung s24590pl and the 27 inch version aswell. Would you say the Benq is comparable quality wise to those two Samsung monitors? I think you reviewed the 24 inch one.

I have my PS4 and PS3 hook up to Acer B6 B326HK.

No problem with the image.

Back