PS4 headset recommendations?

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
In the market to purchase a PS4 headset. Wired or wireless no preference, but definitely looking for surround sound here. No particular budget but would like to keep it no more then $250 maybe. I was possibly looking at the PX4's by turtlebeach or the Astro A50's, but if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

so I tired a JVC HA RX700 and plugged them into the Z906 Logitech speaker receiver game sound awesome. I don't recommend plugging anything into the controller just sounds bad....
get a optical receiver if anything run a optical cable into it then use the headphone jack that way.

Unless you really want a mic but people with mics just abuse them usually.

I also have a

Razer Krakens

Steel series Siberia v2

and Logitech 7.1s

they all sound bad compared the the JVCs

Mainly I tired Demons souls with the JVCs the ambient sounds are great and spells.

I have a buddy with young kids who has to use a surround headset for gaming. He swears by the Turtle Beach wireless surround headsets although he also claims that their wireless receivers are kind of junky. He has had to RMA more than one, but the headsets are so good that (per him) it's worth the hassle.

If Wired or wireless did not matter

Hands down the Sennheiser HD598 with an Astro mixiamp.

I'm on the hunt for a wireless set up myself. I tried the skullcandy Plyr 1, sent them back didn't work with my PS 4 (I want true wireless, no cords between controller and headset.)
Currently testing the Astro's A50's don't like them either, I must have hot ears or something wrong, but if ears could sweat my would in the A50's. Plus the sound just is not the same after coming from the Sennheiser HD598's.

I just hate cords which is the only reason I game on the PS4. Still on the hunt for the right wireless headset. May just have to deal with wires.

Right now I'm using a Pulse Elite headset with an audio cable plugged into the controller. Not the best solution but Sony has promised a firmware update for the PS4 early Jan that will add full support, so it works for now. They sound pretty good on the PS3 and I have no reason to believe they won't sound good on the PS4 as well as soon as all the features are supported. Even while plugged in to the controller I can turn the headset on and have the bass features and volume control.

Now the headset does have one major problem: The battery life is shit. 3 hours, max between charges.

The pulse headset I had the battery lasted a long time. Easily 6 hours between charges

I still swear by the Sony official wireless headset and my Trittons :D

Will the original Pulse headset work? It works great onmy PS3 and PC but when i get new one later this year I dont wanna have to buy new ones.

I just picked up a set of refurbished px5's from best buy for 100 plus tax(father in laws employee discount).

I'll have to use the cable for chat but I don't mind that. Can't wait to get them!

i enjoy my px5's, in case you didnt know, have to buy an extra wire to plug them into your controller $7 (different from the xbox cable)
I like the fact it has removable batteries so when one set dies, i just put in the next set of rechargeables.

Astro A40's!! They are awesome! That's what I use.

I would just like to thank you, I googled the Astro A40 and saw something called the Astro MixAmp Pro, this is exactly what I have been looking for, you have ended my several month quest. Thank you.

Last edited:
I would just like to thank you, I googled the Astro A40 and saw something called the Astro MixAmp Pro, this is exactly what I have been looking for, you have ended my several month quest. Thank you.

I really love the voice/game volume feature. It works wonders and saves me the hassle of muting people if I'm playing by myself, or turning the voice volume up if I'm playing with friends.

Love pin point sound cues on my Tritton ax pro 5.1's on my ps3 and xbox 360 they have served me well over the years. On my PS4 and XBOX One setups I use the AD-700's and Turtle beach dss 7.1. Both are great.

Yeah, the Pulse Gold is available for preorder on Amazon. It looks nice, and is compatible with the computer. I don't know how well that will end up, but hopefully okay at least.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm that new headset looks really damn nice. Since this is the "gold" edition, I wonder if they will be coming out with a "platinum" edition down the road.

I've been wanting to get a headset for my PS4. Now I'll probably have to choose between the Pulse Elites and this Gold set. Anyone have an opinion on the Pulse Elites?

Last edited:
I've been wanting to get a headset for my PS4. Now I'll probably have to choose between the Pulse Elites and this Gold set. Anyone have an opinion?

Probably a good idea to wait since precisely zero people have reported on the performance of the Gold.

Probably a good idea to wait since precisely zero people have reported on the performance of the Gold.

No doubt. I really was looking for opinions on the Pulse Elites, and I should have made that way more clear than just "anyone have an opinion." Edited the post.

No doubt. I really was looking for opinions on the Pulse Elites, and I should have made that way more clear than just "anyone have an opinion." Edited the post.

I will hook my Elites up to the PS4 tomorrow and test them out, but I really like how the sound on the PS3 and PC, so I assume that trend will continue.

Looks like a new headset is going to be released this month.

I loved the last PS3 iteration. I heard they were going allow the syncing of the old headsets with an update, but this is a good alternative if you don't already have a wireless headset. This new one can sync with the PS3 and PS4.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...adset-support-gold-wireless-headset-out-soon/

Yup wait for the playstation gold headset. Should be 99 bucks. Hopefully it reviews well. That is what I will be getting I think.

pulse elite support was indeed returned in firmware update last night.
you have to hold down the PS button controller and change the audio output setting to headset, took a few minutes to find this out.

the only difference i've noticed is that i can't leave the audio cord plugged into the USB transmitter all the time for use from other inputs plugged into my onkyo receiver.
minor inconvenience but now i have to walk up to the PS4 if i want to use the headset for other purposes (xbox one, fios, etc).

Astros a40s are pretty good. They come with the mix amp, so you can use another headset down the road if you so choose. Also, voice chat works without any wire running to your controller (works over the USB interface) if you were wondering. Also hardwired means no issues with audio dropouts and dead batteries. I've got friends who have some of the turtle beach wireless headsets and they complain about this. I guess its not frequent enough to ruin your game most of the time but highlights why I love hardwired...

I'm pretty happy with my A40s for console gaming.

Turtle beach xp400's refurbished at new egg are only $89.99 right now. I paid that much for my refurbed x42's at GameStop last Saturday.

Just a heads up. A lot of B&M stores are selling the Gold Headset already. I picked mine up at my local Best Buy since I had some GC credit to finish up.

Mini-review:
-VERY comfortable and lightweight. Seriously might be the most comfortable gaming headset I've used to date. Makes my Corsair Vengeance 2000's seem heavy.
-Sound quality is good. I personally found that the "bass boost" setting (default switch position #2) is much better than the regular settings (position #1). It makes it a little bit muddy, but it adds a lot of fullness to the sound. Completely worth it to me since I felt the #1 setting was lacking in the lows.
-Isolation is good as well. Evidenced by my wife trying to get my attention for several minutes before I actually noticed :rolleyes:
-Companion App is not out yet. From glancing at the owner's manual, it looks like you will be able to overwrite your settings for the #2 switch position via the app (again, the default is bass boost).
-Build quality seems solid. I was semi-worried about the hinges, but they seem to be pretty sturdy. Hopefully, these hold up over time. Apparently, the Pulse Elites all like to break at the same spot with as little as a few months use.
-Overall finish makes the headset look very nice.
-Cannot comment on battery life, but Sony is claiming "8 hrs of continuous gaming." I really hope they are serious with that claim because it was one of the main reasons I purchased these over the Elites...that and the breaking issues of the latter.
-Also cannot comment on the mic yet. Unfortunately, none of my friends we're online at the time (I only actually keep RL friends and family on there).

Just a heads up. A lot of B&M stores are selling the Gold Headset already. I picked mine up at my local Best Buy since I had some GC credit to finish up.

Mini-review:
-VERY comfortable and lightweight. Seriously might be the most comfortable gaming headset I've used to date. Makes my Corsair Vengeance 2000's seem heavy.
-Sound quality is good. I personally found that the "bass boost" setting (default switch position #2) is much better than the regular settings (position #1). It makes it a little bit muddy, but it adds a lot of fullness to the sound. Completely worth it to me since I felt the #1 setting was lacking in the lows.
-Isolation is good as well. Evidenced by my wife trying to get my attention for several minutes before I actually noticed :rolleyes:
-Companion App is not out yet. From glancing at the owner's manual, it looks like you will be able to overwrite your settings for the #2 switch position via the app (again, the default is bass boost).
-Build quality seems solid. I was semi-worried about the hinges, but they seem to be pretty sturdy. Hopefully, these hold up over time. Apparently, the Pulse Elites all like to break at the same spot with as little as a few months use.
-Overall finish makes the headset look very nice.
-Cannot comment on battery life, but Sony is claiming "8 hrs of continuous gaming." I really hope they are serious with that claim because it was one of the main reasons I purchased these over the Elites...that and the breaking issues of the latter.
-Also cannot comment on the mic yet. Unfortunately, none of my friends we're online at the time (I only actually keep RL friends and family on there).

Sweet on the Heads up that B&M Best Buy had them. Been wanting to grab a pair. ran out to Best Buy after your post and snagged one. Thanks!

NP man. How do you like them?

Pretty much inline with your post. I have them on a USB switcher between my PS4/PC. Makes it pretty handy. Isolation definitely is good, my 5 year old had to come tap me on the shoulders to get my attention. For 99$ i dont really see how i could make out better unless i went wired.

Pretty much inline with your post. I have them on a USB switcher between my PS4/PC. Makes it pretty handy. Isolation definitely is good, my 5 year old had to come tap me on the shoulders to get my attention. For 99$ i dont really see how i could make out better unless i went wired.

i can back this up got one last night and been playing outlast with it on ps4 :D

I canceled my preorder with Amazon, and just went to Best Buy. These things are great! I turned on virtual surround within windows, and it appears to be working. Music and gameplay doesn't sound bad, considering what I usually use is the Grado RS2i. The mic works well.

Admittedly, I didn't see the left and right indicator on the inside of the band, so I wore them backwards for an hour. Ha.

how do i get this thing to work with PS3?

p.s silly me it was simply out of juice

Last edited:
I was in the market for a PS4 headset myself recently. But I was waiting around for the new PS4 Gold headset to be released to hear some reviews. Well after I heard it was a nice headset but the surround sound was not great I decided to find an alternative.

I ended up being torn between either the Tritton 720+ ($149.99) or the Astro A40 ($249.99).

So first I picked up the Tritton 720+ and they sounded pretty good and the surround sound capabilities was also pretty good. The build quality was good as well. However I don't have a large head, but I do have a wide head, and after about an hour my ears would be in pain.

So I ended up picking up the Astro A40 as well and was going to do a side by side test and take back whichever headset I liked the least.

Well the Astro A40 headset sounded much better (even though the Trittons sounded good) and was also much more comfortable on my head. So the Trittons went back, even though they are a great headset for $150 bucks. I probably would have just kept the Trittons if it wasn't for the pain they were putting on my head and ears when wearing them.

How is the base on the A40's? The surround sound? Chat vs Game sound?

I have the Turtle Beach PX3 wireless that I moved over from PS3. They suck on the PS4, no volume or chat controls on the headset work. If you try to adjust the volume then the headset crashes and disconnects.

Any issues I should expect?

How is the base on the A40's? The surround sound? Chat vs Game sound?

I have the Turtle Beach PX3 wireless that I moved over from PS3. They suck on the PS4, no volume or chat controls on the headset work. If you try to adjust the volume then the headset crashes and disconnects.

Any issues I should expect?

The bass is pretty good, not too over powering in a good way. The surround sound is top notch and is better than the Tritton 720+. Chat vs Game sound is really good because you can adjust it right on the mixamp.

Back