PS4 Firmware Update 4.50 out Now with Boost Mode, External HDD Support

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Those of you who are looking for a reason to jump back into classic PS4 titles have one now, as Boost Mode has finally arrived for the console in its latest firmware update. This feature should improve frame rates and reduce load times for a number of games. Other commendable additions include support for external hard drives, resolution improvements in PS VR, and custom wallpaper (what’s the excuse for not having this feature at launch?).

The rollout has already begun all across the world for this feature-rich update, according to multiple reports. The download is a bit bigger than usual, at 324.1MB. Firmware 4.50 brings a number of crucial features to the console. Most notably, the ability to use external HDDs for game installs, set custom backgrounds, notification menu updates, and more. The update also adds 3D Blu-ray support for those with PS VR headsets. The other big addition is the new Boost Mode for PS4 Pro owners. This enhanced mode allows unpatched PS4 games to run at higher frame-rates, and reduces loading times in some instances.

Yah! Custom wallpapers. I didn't know why it wasn't at launch either. I've got some of the free themes and it's like, none of the themes are designed around the rest of the UI. So icons sit right on top of important parts of the wallpaper.

Just like the turbo switch on a 486 lol.

Seriously though I like the idea, curious to try it out when i get off work today.

I should look to see if I have some 3D Blu-rays and try that out. Hopefully I can make it through a movie without wanting to hurl.

Finally, the reason we bought the damn thing in the first place: Smooth out the games to a locked 30fps...what the PS4 mostly delivered....mostly.

Back