PS4 E3 2018 Press Conference Won’t Have New Hardware

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios Shawn Layden has clarified that "there will be no new hardware announcements at E3," putting a damper on any potential PlayStation 5 information at this year’s premiere gaming show. Instead, Sony will focus on four of its upcoming exclusives: Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, and The Last of Us Part II.

For Death Stranding, Layden said Sony has a "complete new report for everybody about what is happening around that title," while Ghost of Tsushima will also have a "deep dive." For Spider-Man there will be "a new drop," which is likely to be a new trailer. Finally, The Last of Us Part 2 will have "a full new scope and treatment to show progress on the game and give people a better understanding of where we're going with Part 2."

I don't think anyone who cares was reasonably expecting otherwise.

Pro is 1.5 years old, they wouldn't abandon a new console after such a short period.

Next year is the earliest they will release the PS5, but release could be delayed to 2020 if Xbox One X is not selling well.

Just to give you guys an idea of how poorly the X is currently selling, after 1.5 years you still have to buy the Pro from 3rd-party sellers on Amazon (no fulfillment, just random resellers marking up products), while 6 months after release you can get the X direct from Amazon.

Last edited:
Why would they though? Ps4 sales are still smashing the Xbox. They don't need any more versions of the ps4.

Smart to come out and say it

Yeah. Just like MS said there was no Xbox One leading up to some other eShow and then they announce it (or look.. a ton of sales right at the last minute.. what a shame. says Company X). (i think i've got my company fucking up names and items correct). :p

Just take one look at God of War and you'll see they don't need new hardware any time soon.

Sure, us PC enthusiasts can nitpick, but damn if that isn't one of the best looking games ever.

Just take one look at God of War and you'll see they don't need new hardware any time soon.

Sure, us PC enthusiasts can nitpick, but damn if that isn't one of the best looking games ever.

Seriously, though. I play a ton of games on PC but God of War is one of the best games I've ever looked at. The art direction of that game is so on-point that it should be required reading/playing for game devs in the future.

im hoping 2019.

That is, if I don't trade in my PS4 for a pro.

I want that 4k bluray 4k gaming!
Possible. That will make it 3 years between PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5 if it were to come out in November. I was thinking 2021, but with how hot Sony's hardware sales are at the moment they may want to release sooner rather than later to keep the money train rolling.

The best looking games always come out at the end of a console's life cycle.

No rush for new hardware. More quality games, please. :)

It's kinda nuts how different this console gen is versus the previous.

With the price of hardware lately.... it seems best to concentrate on getting every last drop from this current gen.
So many games out there for PS4... would be nice to see some come to PC but they dont need to feed a competing platform either. So many games for PC i don't have time to play either for that matter.... :)

My interest in Sony's E3 presentation just dropped to zero. I have no interest in seeing status updates on already announced games...and anything new I can catch up on the next day. What I REALLY want is for them to announce FreeSync support on the PS4 Pro!

They need to add the ability to change our PSN names. That's all I care for at this point.

Back