PS3s Locking Up Is A Feature

HardOCP News

[H] News
I always end up making PS3 fans mad when I post crazy comments from Sony reps like “we make the consoles lock up on purpose” or the “you will work harder for a PS3” stuff. In my defense, I just post the news, I don’t make it.

I'm totally confused at this point, completely stunned at what I'm being told because it's the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. I let him rattle on for a while, trying to convince me (and probably himself) that yes, Sony went out of their way to have their consoles lock up so that the masses will not spend hours upon hours basking in all its glory.

Hmm.. I have never seen a Ps3 lock up, but every time I went Target, Gamestop or Walmart the Ps3's were always off, I guess I know why now.

lol because one sony rep from an eb store makes a comment it represents the official company stance on the issue at hand? i hardly think so...also the comment about someone at Best buy saying the same thing holds zero relavence.....98% of the people working at best buy are borderline handicapped. ive spoken to reps from various tech companies who made mistakes(like anyone can at their everyday job)and gave me wrong information. simple mix up is all it was i believe....not "Sony said they want the PS3 to lock up"

mrkram said:
lol because one sony rep from an eb store makes a comment it represents the official company stance on the issue at hand? i hardly think so...also the comment about someone at Best buy saying the same thing holds zero relavence.....98% of the people working at best buy are borderline handicapped. ive spoken to reps from various tech companies who made mistakes(like anyone can at their everyday job)and gave me wrong information. simple mix up is all it was i believe....not "Sony said they want the PS3 to lock up"
Steve said:
I always end up making PS3 fans mad when I post crazy comments from Sony
The reason this is getting posted as news is because Sony has made some crazy comments in the past. Just because it doesn't take technical skills to work at Best Buy doesn't mean people are handicapped. Your reply just seems very ignorant.

Everybody knows that the demo restarts itself after while, resetting to the home screen. We also know that the PS3 locks up in the case down below (which the blogger admits is something he'll let slide), as there are not widespread stories of PS3's locking up at home.

Doesn't anyone with some semblance of logic think this retail rep who is about as low on the totem pole as possble confused these two things? We all know how "knowledgable" sales reps are, and this isn't even a possibility?

I also heard it makes the world stop spinning when it locks up too!!!!

Zozmgggwtfbbq!!!11 :rolleyes:

Ive not been able to play a PS3 in a store yet. Because everytime I try....the thing is locked up.....or off.
:rolleyes:

We post this stuff because it is funny. When Ken Kutaragi says:

• That is not a flaw, it is a feature (recall over button being too close to screen)
  • Try it out for a few weeks, see if it stll bothers you (dead pixels on PSPs)
  • PS3 is “for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else.”
  • It is probably too cheap
  • The PS3 is not a game machine
  • Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun

other high level Sony reps:

• Europe doesn't mind always being last (on being last on the console launch list...again)
  • Playstation fans would buy anything we sell them just on brand recognition alone
  • We will launch with X,XXX.XXX consoles
  • We will launch on X-XX-XX date
  • Its a super computer

We just think this stuff is funny, it is a pattern and, if you can't laugh at some of this stuff....there is something wrong with you.

Steve, thank you for bring a smile to my face and putting together an actual list to save me from researching the news archives. Now all I have to do is point to this thread.

When I was christmas shopping I hit quite a few stores and I never once seen a PS3 demo unit up and running. I seen alot of them on display but not a single one of them was usable. All of them that I seen were tured off

Ahh that explains why I haven't been able to play PS3 at Gamestop (the unit was turned off).

Why couldn't the rep (and Sony in general) have just said "he didn't know", or "that they were working on it", or something that normal PR drones spew out all the time? I'm sure they have to take bullshitting classes to be a representative, and I doubt "we make our product suck on purpose" is in the textbook. :confused:

Nintendo for instance, in the face of lawsuit over their defective Wiimote leash, said that they had already "taken appropriate steps to [correct it]" and that the lawsuit was "without merit". Imagine if their response was that the defective straps were intentional so that people couldn't play on their Wiis as long. :D

whrswoldo said:
Ahh that explains why I haven't been able to play PS3 at Gamestop (the unit was turned off).

Why couldn't the rep (and Sony in general) have just said "he didn't know", or "that they were working on it", or something that normal PR drones spew out all the time? I'm sure they have to take bullshitting classes to be a representative, and I doubt "we make our product suck on purpose" is in the textbook. :confused:

Nintendo for instance, in the face of lawsuit over their defective Wiimote leash, said that they had already "taken appropriate steps to [correct it]" and that the lawsuit was "without merit". Imagine if their response was that the defective straps were intentional so that people couldn't play on their Wiis as long. :D
Nintendo is saying the suit is without merit because the straps were not defective. Well if they were not defective it begs the question why did they recall all the straps?

whrswoldo said:

Nail on the head.

People respect it when you tell them the truth, even when the truth is "I don't know". There is nothing worse than marketing double speak or having someone tell you the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you just saw. Here is a typical conversation after a PR person lays a line on you like that:

Me: I saw you pull that answer out of your ass

PR-Dude: No you didn't

Me: Did too...in fact, it smells like ass in here now.

PR-Dude: NO, you did not.

Me: What the?!?!?! YES, you did.

PR-Dude: I couldn't have, I don't even have an ass. I was designed this way.

Me: But I can see your ass...

PR-Dude: No you can't

i dont know about stupid/crazy Sony reps saying something retarded like that but the fact is that most consoles lock up in those airtight chambers of death....i've seen a 360 lock up and i dont doubt for a second that a PS3 would too....

[H]ance said:
When I was christmas shopping I hit quite a few stores and I never once seen a PS3 demo unit up and running. I seen alot of them on display but not a single one of them was usable. All of them that I seen were tured off

Honestly when I worked for EB we would turn off the XBOX, or PS2, or Dreamcast demos.....or stick in video preview disks during christmas to keep people from loitering in the store/babysitting when mommy and daddy would drop junior off to play videogames while they shopped. Apparently we didn't mind watching their little hellians for them.

I know what your saying Spectre but this was at big box stores. 3 different Wal Marts over a span of a few weeks and all the other demo systems were running 24/7 working as a baby sitter just like you say. Fred Meyer ( its kinda like a wal mart) same deal other demos are running but the PS3 one isnt. The shopping I did took place over a couple or three weeks leading up to christmas and was on weekdays when kids are in school and a few times later at night when most kids are in bed. So its not like I didnt have alot of different chances to see one working.

You are so right on the babysitting thing its not even funny. I have wanted to play a demo a few times and there is some snot nosed 12 year old playing with no parents in sight. You do most of your shopping and come back an hour later and the same little brat is still standing there playing the game :rolleyes:

I have only ever seen one PS3 demo turned on and working... I have seen about 4 others turned off and ignored in a corner..

Hard to draw the consumers attention when the thing is turned off all the time and near other working demo units.

was in an EB near me today, PS3 locked up during motorstorm with a fatal error 59 :LOL: I was joking about sony trying to pass it off as a feature, and now im reading this, i love it lmfao

Futureshop near my house has PS3's constantly now, never any Wii though...

I've played on three PS3 units.

1 was turned on and working
1 locked up while I was playing
and one was locked up when I walked over to it.

That being said -- Steve, you missed at least one other famous spittle from Sony in your quote lineup.

I don't know the word for word but I remember the big stir where Sony said something to the effect that Games aren't truly HD unless they are output @ 1080P. PS3 games will all be 1080P with dual 1080P output...
then we come to find out they aren't even making 1080P games.

Archaea said:
I've played on three PS3 units.

1 was turned on and working
1 locked up while I was playing
and one was locked up when I walked over to it.

That being said -- Steve, you missed at least one other famous spittle from Sony in your quote lineup.

I don't know the word for word but I remember the big stir where Sony said something to the effect that Games aren't truly HD unless they are output @ 1080P. PS3 games will all be 1080P with dual 1080P output...
then we come to find out they aren't even making 1080P games.

How about NBA Live 07? Its 1080P on my Sony 40" LCD. Looks great. Also I have never had a lockup yet. I think the stores lock up because they are enclosed in a case display. There is no ware for the heat to go. I have played for hours and hours and then even watched a 2hr Blu-Ray movie and never had the unit lockup.

More blizzard here in Colorado today..perhaps that explains the large shipments of PS3's into the area lately..if its freezing ass cold outside..they are less likely to crash! They are totally on to something here!

The PS3 display at the Best Buy in Springfield, VA is coming apart. The unit in the glass has a sticker on the back that peeling off, probably from the heat, but the sticker has an image of the back air vents. And as normal there, the unit was off

I dont personally think that they made the systems lock up on purpose. I think that guy was a bit confused. I mean, systems locking up in kiosks is nothing new....its the worst environment for a console.

I havent really heard of any systems locking up at home. Seems like just more news taking jabs at Sony whenever possible. But that is not surprising...and I guess it was a Sony instore sales rep that said it, so thats doesnt look to good.

that is true, kiosks are the worst place to put a console just short of sticking them in the oven.

It isn't the "news taking jabs" at Sony. It is repeating what they said verbatim (see list above) and laughing at it. That's all. The quality of the console is not in dispute...people are just making fun of some of the totally funny things those people say. It's like they hold a class on saying dumb things.

Anyhow, I can't speak for "the media" but I can say that our news post was simply pointing out a totally absurd comment for entertainment purposes.

For people that cannot LAUGH at the funny stuff Sony says...maybe if you just learned to "work more hours to feel that you really want to see the humor, irrespective of anything else” then and only then, will you see TEH FUNNAY!

Steve said:
that is true, kiosks are the worst place to put a console just short of sticking them in the oven.

It isn't the "news taking jabs" at Sony. It is repeating what they said verbatim (see list above) and laughing at it. That's all. The quality of the console is not in dispute...people are just making fun of some of the totally funny things those people say. It's like they hold a class on saying dumb things.

Anyhow, I can't speak for "the media" but I can say that our news post was simply pointing out a totally absurd comment for entertainment purposes.

For people that cannot LAUGH at the funny stuff Sony says...maybe if you just learned to "work more hours to feel that you really want to see the humor, irrespective of anything else” then and only then, will you see TEH FUNNAY!
the stands are actually well ventilated :p went to the EB again today to get the GH2 wireless V replaced for my friend, the unit was off and there was a loud fan going still :p

the units in the plastic cases are fake, theyre in a nice steel box with a fan...

deeznuts said:
Nintendo is saying the suit is without merit because the straps were not defective. Well if they were not defective it begs the question why did they recall all the straps?

Give the idiots and greedy lawyers a year or two and a few tries and one of them might actually win a lawsuit. You don't have to be at fault to lose a lawsuit for millions.

Nintendo is just nipping this one in the bud while it is still extremely cheap to do so.

I was at Target and I went to play the PS3 with some offroad racing game. I was playing for about 30sec, then it froze up. :p I was waiting in line at Best Buy to play, and it froze with the audio blairing in an infinite loop, and everyone walked away all pissed off.. Then, my friend purchased a PS3, and he was having trouble outputting 1080p to his HDTV via HDMI. It would just go black screen and freeze up, then start working again, then freeze again. So, he brought it over to my house, and it did the same thing. We called Sony, and they confirmed it was a problem with their reverse compatibility for HDMI, and he RMA'd it. This was about the 2nd week into the release, and he still hasn't gotten one back yet. :(

jaegertech said:
Give the idiots and greedy lawyers a year or two and a few tries and one of them might actually win a lawsuit. You don't have to be at fault to lose a lawsuit for millions.

Nintendo is just nipping this one in the bud while it is still extremely cheap to do so.
Yeah you don't have to be at fault, but in products liability cases which are strict liability, on the surface it appears Nintendo has an uphill battle. To me it's a classic design defect case, in which Nintendo replacing the straps provides pretty convincing evidence against it.

Back