PS3's : Home Delayed

Baker

2[H]4U
Article

In yet another embarrassing delay for Sony, the company is putting off the start of its "Home" virtual world services for the PlayStation 3, initially planned for later this year, until next spring.

"We wanted to wait until we could offer what would be totally satisfying for consumers," Hirai said

The product's delay is the latest trouble Sony has had with the PlayStation3, whose European launch had to be postponed for several months due to production problems.

Hirai, named in November as president, replacing Ken Kutaragi, the "father of the PlayStation," sounded apologetic in several places during his speech, acknowledging that the PlayStation 3 had failed to live up to the company's sales targets.

He promised to listen more to complaints and suggestions from game software creators and game fans to improve the PlayStation 3 business.

"The results we have produced so far have been unfortunate," he said at Makuhari Messe hall of the more than 5 million global sales for the PlayStation 3, which went on sale late last year in Japan and the U.S. and in March in Europe.

Sony once dominated the gaming industry with PlayStation 2, predecessor for the PS3, but now faces intense competition from Microsoft Corp., which has sold 11.6 million Xbox 360 machines in the last two years, and from Nintendo Co.'s popular Wii, which has sold 9.3 million units since late last year.

"We must get back to the basics," he said.

Hirai showed a new remote controller for the PlayStation 3, "Dualshock 3," that will vibrate along with games such as the shock of impact of a sword hitting an object or a race car swerving. Old games will require download upgrades.

The controller goes on sale in November in Japan and next spring in the U.S. and Europe, he said.

I've been looking forward to home, but I personally don't mind delays if it means a better product. I got burnt out on vibrating controllers with N64 and StarFox64. So I think I'm ok with the extra super light non-vibrating controllers.

Thoughts?

Wow, I am shocked. This was suppose to big one of the most anticipated applications added to the Playstation 3. Sad to hear that its going to be delayed another ~6 months. As a Ps3 owner it makes me wonder, what has the Playstation 3 owned up this year?:confused::(

I don't have the link on hand, but Hirai clarified that an open beta of Home will be available in November-December, which would put Home in a lot of... homes (ugh) prior to the official release.

Think of it as Gmail beta.

I own a PS3 and I don't understand the hype over Home. It just seems to me to be some type of Gibsonesque interface with no actual value beyond a social interface for an anti social device. I do agree that this is bad because of the Delay but I just don't know why people are so excited about it. I don't mean this as a dig but can someone please explain to me why it interests them? I know that there is suppose to be a trophy system sort of like achievments on the 360 but this does nothing for me as well.

Sony just needs to stop promising so much. Creating hype is only good if you can actually deliver on it. Really home doesn't matter that much. PS3 is missing games above all, a second life sony advertisement world isn't going to move consoles.

I just don't get it anymore. How can a damn controller released in Japan in November, be any different than the one we will get 3-5 months later? What are they, region coded? Are the two really going to be so different? I'm not waiting until spring...lmao. That makes absolutely no fucking sense.

My patience is wearing thin with my PS3 and Sony.

It could be a stock issue. Sony can sell most of the old six-axis controllers in Japan faster then they can in the US. So Japan will get it first. That is unless the DS3 will cost more.

Back