ps3 what does it cost to replace the optical drive

sparks

2[H]4U
I was looking to get a ps3 for playing movies.

I tried to find out the repair cost of the optical drive and all I can find it the
repair/replacement of the HD .

anyone know what the drive cost if it goes bad?

You can't buy the PS3 Blu-ray drive separate from the console. You might be able to get some on eBay or something from people who have dead PS3s but the drive is still OK. It'll be interesting to see how well these PS3 drives last. I got a PS3 for Christmas and it had a dead drive out of the box. I had to get a new PS2 because the laser wore out.

I think you can only go through Sony for that. You'll have to call them. If you find out, I'm interested in knowing just out of curiosity.

If it's been within a year from the purchase of the PS3 (which it should be), then Sony should replace it for free under the warranty?

Unless you broke it due to negligence or modding.

At least half the cost of the console...why can't you (or whoever you got it from) just go through warranty?

At least half the cost of the console...why can't you (or whoever you got it from) just go through warranty?

He does state in his post that he is looking into buying a PS3. I assume that means he doesn't have a broken one.

No I was curious since I read of several people having to send them in under warranty..
That is when I got curious if they had a problem with longevity and how much it cost to replace.
If it cost 2 or 4 bills to replace it then it might not be worth looking at.
BUT I have also seen some people play movies on them constantly and never had a problem so go figure.
Only thing I could not find out is what models were the ones going bad...old ones or new ones.

I talked to them about the drive replacement...WELL it depends on the model..DAMN IT I SAID PS3...well there are 5 different models of that unit..ok the most expensive one...how much to replace a dead optical drive.
WELL it would depend...mail it in and after we determine if it is the optical drive we can give you a price on that particular unit.

SO you are not going to call Sony and find out how much...with that much double talk you can bet it would be cheaper to buy a new unit.

I also asked about the new 40 gig model....backwards compatibility on games. The new units will not be updated in the future to support older games...But it says backwards compatibility on the web page..well that depends on the model. GD IT I JUST SAID THE NEW 40 GIG MODEL. oh yes that model is compatable with some older formats.

MAN SONY SUCKS BIG TIME

I am sure glad I didn't ask about upconverting of std DVD's in this unit...Well some TV's are 1080P LOL

I talked to them about the drive replacement...WELL it depends on the model..DAMN IT I SAID PS3...well there are 5 different models of that unit..ok the most expensive one...how much to replace a dead optical drive.
WELL it would depend...mail it in and after we determine if it is the optical drive we can give you a price on that particular unit.

SO you are not going to call Sony and find out how much...with that much double talk you can bet it would be cheaper to buy a new unit.

I also asked about the new 40 gig model....backwards compatibility on games. The new units will not be updated in the future to support older games...But it says backwards compatibility on the web page..well that depends on the model. GD IT I JUST SAID THE NEW 40 GIG MODEL. oh yes that model is compatable with some older formats.

MAN SONY SUCKS BIG TIME

I am sure glad I didn't ask about upconverting of std DVD's in this unit...Well some TV's are 1080P LOL

I'm not really surprised they didn't quote you a figure. You'll have to hit Google to find out. There might be someone out there that had a launch unit and has had to replace it out of warranty. That being said, I can understand wanting to know that number. I am not a big fan of using a console's drive for movies. I've seen too many PS2s and Xboxs with dead drives that were used for that purpose.

MAN SONY SUCKS BIG TIME

So did you talk to Sony? You said in the first line you talked to "THEM" then you started the second paragraph with. "SO you are not going to call Sony" This seems to me that you spoke to a sales person from a place that sells the PS3 and not Sony. Then when you asked about the backward compatibility of the 40 gig model. "They" once again did not answer your question because you were not speaking with Sony, but you did like to finish your rant with "MAN SONY SUCKS BIG TIME" and this was a response to a question you didn't even ask but a theoretical question you may have asked.

This whole thread seems to be just another way to go and Sony Bash again. If you legitimately need an answer to the BC question on the 40 gig model it is simple. You can only play PSone games on that model since it doesn't have the graphics chip that will allow for displaying the PS2 games. If you really want BC then get an 80 gig version. This has been discussed to death here for months now. As for replacing the BR drive. Your question is once again moot. You do not yet own a PS3. the replacement cost in the first year is $0.00 since it would be a warranty part unless you do something to void the warranty. No one can quote you a price on electronic equipment a year from now so that is right out the window as well.

Crighton sorry I didn't know you can't understand it.

I called SONY and talked to SONY

this was the jist of the conversation I had with them.
NO INFORMATION just double talk....

SONY BASHING ....you bet
by the way I am plugging this into a SONY 60" tv....so I paid enough to BASH THEM

the simple thing for them to say is that drive cost $$$ and if you need it replaced the labor and shipping would cost $$$
BUT NOOOOOO they said everything but this

ok so you are Sorry you cannot master the English language? Why put in the line "So you are not going to call Sony and ask?" if you were already speaking to Sony? Once again I find your argument based on a line of crap. You say you were talking with them and they tell you about the warranty. There are no 40 gig units that are not under warranty. So to answer your fake line of logic once again. To replace a drive under warranty is Zero unless you did something to invalidate the warranty.

Crighton go post somewhere else.

"SO you are not going to call Sony and find out how much"

that is a statement idiot

"So you are not going to call Sony and ask?"
WHERE DID YOU GET THIS...NOT FROM ME MAKING UP SHIT AND POSTING IN SOMEONE elses thread just to cause trouble...GET THE F out.

once again read Your statement. Tell me honestly if it sounds to you reading it aloud that you are already speaking with Sony?

Also please tell me what the average cost of a blue-ray stand alone player will be in a year from now. You already said you don't own a PS3 now and that goes to show that it will be under warranty for one year. This means that you will not have to pay for a replacement for one year unless you are planning on voiding the warranty. You are freaking out about a hypothetical situation that may never happen and want an answer frrom someones crystal ball. So please stop your own rant since it is based in crap!

Actually, when you asked about the 40gb and BC they do have BC, just on PS1 games no PS2 games. So "they" answered your question about what you wanted, but not in an answer in which you understood.

Second, do not tell someone to get out of your thread, when they are just trying to understand something in which you improperly wrote and generated a question in their mind.

Second, creating a thread just to throw mud at a company is not very well thought out when you have nothing to throw. Sony will not release the exact cost of the drive probably because it is a number hidden in a folder in a filing cabinet. Also, why would you be worried about the price, if a product is under warranty they replace it, if they give you problems then you escalate to the next level of enforcement. They also will not quote a number over the phone, because when they receive an item it maybe different then what is described and then prices change.

They also will not quote a number over the phone, because when they receive an item it maybe different then what is described and then prices change.

Excellent point, to get a replacement drive from Sony, you would likely have to mail in your PS3, at which time they would evaluate the console and give you a quote. Depending on the construction of the drive itself, its quite possible they can just replace part of the drive to fix it, and not the entire drive.

You are freaking out about a hypothetical situation that may never happen and want an answer frrom someones crystal ball.

I agree. The OP is concerned with the replacement cost of something that has a low likelyhood of failure, and you would not have the replace the part for at least one year, at which time the part would be cheaper. 1 year from now, PS3 Blu Ray drives may be a common part available from different parts resellers (like how you can get original XBox DVD drives from multiple places), or it could be something you need to get directly from Sony. Worse case scenario would be 13 months from now you need to buy a PS3 with a blown power supply (or other non-drive related failure), and you swap it yourself. Likely cost of that would be around $150 for a bad PS3.

theDreamer when a person takes what you say and misquotes it....LOOK at it he rewrote what I said and put it in quotes.
This is BULLSHIT and just trying to stir up trouble.

I called and got a new bios on the TV and asked the rep about all this and told him how I had problems getting any info from repair and he said about what you did. They are afraid of saying anything and having it used against them later. He said they would only give prices on returned items and they knew exactly what was in need for repair.
I told him I understood but no one wants to spend the time and money on a $400 player return to find out that it cost $600 to repair or replace the drive. I then asked if they had a price sheet where I could buy a replacement drive...they do not. BUT he did say I could contact some of the repair centers and see what they charged.

Why are you so worried about something that has a standard one year warranty on the device, and you can purchase extended warranties from where you buy normally?

The problem is what it costs now to replace, won't be the same as it costs in a year. So even if you got your answer, by the time the warranty expires the price will be different.

A Blu-ray player for a PC is about $200. So I'd guess the replacement drive for the PS3 is probably close to that price. In a year it will probably be half that.

No I was curious since I read of several people having to send them in under warranty..
That is when I got curious if they had a problem with longevity and how much it cost to replace.
If it cost 2 or 4 bills to replace it then it might not be worth looking at.
BUT I have also seen some people play movies on them constantly and never had a problem so go figure.
Only thing I could not find out is what models were the ones going bad...old ones or new ones.

If you are worried about it then buy an extended warranty on the system. Can't speak on how much the drives go for used but if the system failed out of warranty I want to say sony has a flat rate repair to fix the systems. For that answer you would have to call the warranty line and ask.

Back