PS3 to support Keyboard/mouse!!

Json23

[H]ard|Gawd
Taken from the Inquirer -

We learned that despite having up to seven Bluetooth 2.0 compliant controllers, and six USB slots, and you will also be able to plug in a keyboard and a mouse. The company representative added that you will be able to play games such as Unreal Tournament 2007 with the keyboard and the mouse.

Has Microsoft announced whether or not they will support the Keyboard or mouse? I hope so, cause I feel that the Xbox is going to be a better console, but lets face it, keyboard and mouse on a FPS would be AWESOME on a console. As well as maybe opening the doors for RTSs to finally make a stake in the console arena. (Drool... Red Alert 3 on my big screen...)

gimmick

slouching on a couch with a keyboard on your lap playing a FPS is just lame
oh, a custom rig could be made for the keyboard and mouse?
even lamer

michealo said:
gimmick

slouching on a couch with a keyboard on your lap playing a FPS is just lame
oh, a custom rig could be made for the keyboard and mouse?
even lamer

QFT, the games will still be tailored for the controllers and not have as many keys/options. The same FPS on the console will have better graphics/controls/mods/options/etc than the console version. Just look how shitty the UT games are on console compared to PC...!

What a bunch of sour pusses.

Anyway, I can tell you sitting on your couch with a tray to support your keyboard and mouse while playing games on your big screen kicks ass. Of course I do this on my PC because the consoles don't currently support the Keyboard and mouse. : (

Old news for consoles, Mouse and Keyboard was already done for Dreamcast and was supported in Quake3 for Dreamcast.

I didn't know that about the dreamcast. Too bad the console did horribly, or else it would have caught on great. Also at the time, other than doom or quake, PC gaming was not that big either. Now people beg for the ability to use a KB & mouse with their FPS games.

You telling me you wouldn't rather play Halo with a KB & mouse? (Although I didn't like Halo, I would still much rather play it without using the controller)

With consoles having some serious graphics power, all I ever hear about is that there is no keyboard/mouse support. Now that PS3 has it, everyone complains that it won't be as good as pc, won't be comfortable or they find some other reason. I get the impression that the FPS game devs know a little something about tuning a mouse and will add true support for it (180 spins, fast motions, accuracy, etc.) as they actually took the time to make an official announcement for it. Too bad Microsoft won't budge on this.

What they need to do, though, is add analog support for WASD so you can creep around slowly like with console analog sticks. Useful for sneaking in Ghost Recon and such.

Still...
Unless UT2007 looks a lot better on the PS3 than the PC (there is only one PS3 and like 10 million PC setups) I will be getting the game for the PC.
But I will own a PS3 too. I needs it!

Just because you see no need for it doesn't mean no one else will. More consumer choice is always good.

Also at the time, other than doom or quake, PC gaming was not that big either.

when do you think Dreamcast was out?

quake 3 (for PC) was released in 1999 (shortly after the dreamcast) and then in 2001 on the dreamcast.

if i want to play halo with kb/mouse i do it the right way and fire it up on my PC

Once again, michealo, people have been begging for consoles to incorperate the KB/mouse for a long time, and this is big news to us non PC !!!!!! types. Stop raining on our parade with your obvious PC bias.

That being said, I love my PC to death. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't putting off building a new rig until after the Xbox360 and PS3 start to show their age. ( Winter of 2006, lol)

Besides, if it supports the KB/Mouse, then maybe I can get some more challenging players from a bigger audience that the console has over the PC. I am sick of not having to think when I play C&C Generals Zero Hour. And this is a shot in the arm that the consoles need that might help push more RTS players into the genre that might not have a PC.

Keyboard and mouse support will fly on Xbox PS3 - because back in the dreamscast days it sucked :D

and as said - it is not lame - maybe if you get a good set up - or maybe sit down on the floor, table over you - you dont HAVE to sit on your couch humped over

i am sorry but nothing can compare to the accuracy of your mouse in hand, for me @ least.

and with a keyboard at least you have More options of where to bind the keys to.

Looks like PC fanbitches have lost yet another argument that they had against consoles.

Guess it's time to fall back to "t3h ub3r gRx 0f m-eye 78ooGTseX"!!! argument that they so dearly love.

WickedAngel said:
Looks like PC fanbitches have lost yet another argument that they had against consoles.

Guess it's time to fall back to "t3h ub3r gRx 0f m-eye 78ooGTseX"!!! argument that they so dearly love.

agreed. this is just what ive been waiting for. ill be able to use my CRT monitor, keyboard and mouse with the ps3. its all the pros of PC gaming, without all the cons. imo anyway.

WickedAngel said:

lol - true

i am a PC fan - and i didnt like my PS3 for lack of mouse / keyboard - i just love the freedom of configurations and accuracy i get with a mouse over a gamepad, not to mention all of the buttons u can assign on a PC controller.

i will say the xbox and ps3 graphics will likely kick the crap out of alot of PC games just based on the dedicated resources a console has to games vs a PC - but it lies in the developers i guess if they make full use of what the consoles over.

now what logic is flawed

"t3h ub3r gRx 0f m-eye 78ooGTseX" is moot when you're paying 700$ for a console + goodies. this isnt the 299$ jobbie anymote

don't get me wrong, i'll eventually have xbox 360 and PS3 when the games i'm looking for are released.

Finally, someone intellignet figured out that by adding a keyboard and mouse, it would give consoles the ability to play games that were previously exclusive for PC due to the control factor (or it would make games that were previously on consoles MUCH easier to play, like Halo, Darkwatch, SW Battlefront, etc.).

But the more interesting part is, that if an OS is developed for the PS3 (I believe that a Linux variant is in the works), and if some basic software was created for it (Basic media, internet, and office apps), then it would function just like a PC. So instead of having a $600-1000+ PC to play games with, you have a $400-500 PC (albeit very basic) that doubles as a game console with awesome graphics.

What's new about anything said in this thread? Nothing. They've had keyboard and mouse capabilities on Xbox for over a year, and more for PS2. The Xbox and PS2 have had forms of linux for a long time now and it will run media players, web browsers, and all kinds of crap that i can't think of at the moment, so the PS3 will not be doing anything revolutionary for the tech heads that hasn't already been done. I'm not a hater, I play alot of xbox live and PS2 but PC will still reign over next gen consoles when it comes to FPS<period>

And sure console graphics will kick the pc in the ass for a short period of time, but then it's going to be left in the dust again, as the constant cycle of PC to consoles swirls.

QuimZ said:
What's new about anything said in this thread? Nothing. They've had keyboard and mouse capabilities on Xbox for over a year, and more for PS2. The Xbox and PS2 have had forms of linux for a long time now and it will run media players, web browsers, and all kinds of crap that i can't think of at the moment, so the PS3 will not be doing anything revolutionary for the tech heads that hasn't already been done. I'm not a hater, I play alot of xbox live and PS2 but PC will still reign over next gen consoles when it comes to FPS<period>

And sure console graphics will kick the pc in the ass for a short period of time, but then it's going to be left in the dust again, as the constant cycle of PC to consoles swirls.

the mouse for the xbox didn't let you do things like 180s, like really quick movements. the mouse support for PS3 will probably be more like PC. and thats new

michealo said:
now what logic is flawed

"t3h ub3r gRx 0f m-eye 78ooGTseX" is moot when you're paying 700$ for a console + goodies. this isnt the 299$ jobbie anymote

don't get me wrong, i'll eventually have xbox 360 and PS3 when the games i'm looking for are released.

Wow...

How the fuck do you get $700 from a $399 MSRP of the highest model? Congratulations on being a complete failure in regards to basic mathematics.

oh, PS3 is launching at $399?

grats on the crystal ball, im jealous
or perhaps you misead the thread title which requires basic comprehension....

Bo_Bice said:
the mouse for the xbox didn't let you do things like 180s, like really quick movements. the mouse support for PS3 will probably be more like PC. and thats new

I assume you live next to Sony's CEO then? Because all I can tell from the quote is that you will be able to use a mouse and keyboard for PS3. Nowhere at all does it say anything about the kind of support you will get. Hell for all we know you will have to use a 50$ sony keyboard and a 50$ sony mouse, both of which end up sucking hard.

IMO any mouse and keyboard support on the PS3 will be inferior to that on PC frankly for the fact that we dont know if it will support normal mice/keyboards. If you need a proprietary m/kb due to driver issues (i mean who wants to install drivers on their console?) then you may be gaming with a POS m/kb. I will stick to my PC and my top notch mouse thank you very much.

WickedAngel said:
Wow...

How the fuck do you get $700 from a $399 MSRP of the highest model? Congratulations on being a complete failure in regards to basic mathematics.

Instead of being so hostile how about you read carefully as it is obvious you missed the +goodies part in the kind mans post.

Also if you take a look at any of the bundles online for the X360 saying a price of 700$ is not too outlandish and is probably close to what the majority of people are going to spend on their X360 or PS3 in the first month they get it.

allow me to clarify

im expecting PS3 to launch at 499$
Ken already said it will be expensive

throw in a few games and some accessories, and 700$ is easily achievable to be able to play FPS on the PS3 with mouse/keyboard just for the sake of being able to say you can do it.

if mouse/keyboard isnt standard, dont expect developer support for it

If it does proove to be like a PC mouse and keyboard, then it is a very interesting move on Sony's part. It will give the consumer more variation to the system and how to play there games. IMO, it will also attract developers to there system, because they know a mouse and keyboard for FPS is the best way to play them. These days with the wireless combos, and how small keyboards and mice can be, I dont see it being a hassle at all.

As long as I dont have pay more than 400 bucks for this system, I am going to get one. Sony always had the games, dont werent widely known, but were mega fun to play. Ratchet and Clank was a sweet series.

michealo said:
oh, PS3 is launching at $399?

grats on the crystal ball, im jealous
or perhaps you misead the thread title which requires basic comprehension....

Sorry smart-ass, but you brought all next-gen consoles into this argument when you insenuated high launch prices. That includes the X360, which sports similar power to the PS3 along with keyboard/mouse functionality.

FTR, Sony announced it would be "expensive" to get people thinking high. When they announce the actual price (Between $399~499), people will say "Hey...that's not too bad" and not feel nearly as ripped off in their purchase. It's Marketing 101.

By the way, if you want to start including bells and whistles that can be bought with consoles, perhaps we should start figuring in the other expenses of PCs. You know, PPUs, dual-core processors, SATA HDDs, multiple GBs of RAM, third-party cooling devices, LCD monitors worthy of gaming on that can support HD, etc. etc.

Any hobby can be made expensive if you buy everything that is offered.

WickedAngel said:

WickedAngel said:
Wow...

WickedAngel said:
Sorry smart-ass, but you brought all next-gen consoles into this argument when you insenuated high launch prices.

Are you capable of posting in a console/PC thread without flaming or insulting someone and generally having a condenscending attitude?

Seriously, you can make your point without the insults.

WickedAngel said:
Any hobby can be made expensive if you buy everything that is offered.

EXACTLY!!! so simple yet so true

you can buy a $300 PC - or a $3000 PC - depends what goodies you want :D

you can by an entry $300 XBOX 360 - or the $500 XBOX 360 that has all the goodies + all the 3rd party add-ons / games.

Jonsey said:
Are you capable of posting in a console/PC thread without flaming or insulting someone and generally having a condenscending attitude?

Seriously, you can make your point without the insults.

Why should I go out of my way to be civil to people who are too ignorant to research a topic, instead opting to spread misinformation and blatant lies?

Perhaps I am an asshole, but at least I'm an educated/informed one. I'd rather be that than an ignorant/biased jackass.

I don't ask for civility. I do appreciate it when people exhibit some semblance of a brain, though.

Someone insenuated that the PS3 would be $699 "with all the goodies", acting as if that would be the price that most people would have to pay to get enjoyment out of their console. That's nonsense and I called them on it. Cry me a river.

Honestly guys, i've been putting off buying a console for too long. All this money i've been spending on my computer for gaming, is not worth it anymore. A console is great, because you don't have to upgrade, and the screenshots for PS3 games are looking amazing. So, i've decided to get a Playstation 3. It's going to be great. I hope they rethink that controller though.

MrGuvernment said:
EXACTLY!!! so simple yet so true

you can buy a $300 PC - or a $3000 PC - depends what goodies you want :D

you can by an entry $300 XBOX 360 - or the $500 XBOX 360 that has all the goodies + all the 3rd party add-ons / games.

The entry level Xbox 360 is a joke. No hard drive. No backwards compatibility. Worthless. for $400 (not $500), you can get the better one with all that, and something else too (I forgot what).

Json23 said:
I didn't know that about the dreamcast. Too bad the console did horribly, or else it would have caught on great. Also at the time, other than doom or quake, PC gaming was not that big either. Now people beg for the ability to use a KB & mouse with their FPS games.

You are showing just how young you are. ;)

Mouse is far superior than analog sticks. Its a physical fact of the human body. Your one thumb on an stick has no where near the control that a mouse does using the entire hand and all its muscles. This precision and increased speed is what you need for FPS and other games (and browsers) Other games (sports) are indeed, much easier to control with sticks because they require less precise directional movements.

I use a wireless KB/M setup in my living room with the HTPC & projector.

Works great for games. Ratpad on lap, mouse on ratpad, keyboard on lap above ratpad. Or ratpad on phone book on other couch cushion, etc.

I prefer the living room to the desk for games at this point, the sink-into-oblivion-style leather couch is a lot better than the office chair (and I have a nice chair!)

I do need to get something better than this entry level MS Multimedia combo. Anyone have any recommendations on a lag-free long-range (15+ feet) combo?

Json23 said:
but lets face it, keyboard and mouse on a FPS would be AWESOME on a console.

Keyboard and Mouse FTW...this news just solidifies even more my decision to get a PS3 first...(no matter the cost).
Now can the FPS games that get released on both the PS3 and PC be compatible together just like Quake 3 was for
the Dreamcast and PC will be another story. (Sega was way ahead of their time and way behind in the cash department)

So at lans I'll have my PCs and PS3 connectected to a 2405FP and a KVM...leet

Back