PS3 to include new Aegia's PPU

That is very good news. This will allow the developers to use the cell for other things such as better AI.

I found this interesting.

Market watchers also consider today's announcement as indication that Ageia could become a takeover target, for example for Nvidia or ATI. Both companies declined to comment on possible interest in Ageia technologies, but industry sources recently indicated that Ageia in fact may be up for sale - for about $2 billion.

If sony bought then out I wonder if the PC would still be getting the PPU. It would help sony or any company for that matter greatly to buy out Ageia. But the quote seems to lead to Nvidia or ATI which I dont think would have any affects whatsoevor as it would still be open for all platforms.

So they drop the gigbit networking cause they say it will cost to much, after saying that they want to make you say to yourself "I am going to work harder so I can pay for this"; and now add a physical physics chip?

Using the Magic 8ball for business plans again huh Sony?

I honestly dont care paying 50 more dollars for this console if it has a PPU, it means better AI and physics. Not just slighty better physics but extremely better physics. Physics can be used for both gameplay and graphical details. Im sure everyone has seen the Killzone 2 trailer. And Im not going to get into an argument over whether it was prerendered or not but I cant see a single person on these forums that wouldnt wet themselves when they could play a game with fully interactive environements, debris flying everywhere, bullets that actually can bounce off the concrete/metal, bullets that react different to different object (not sounds but the speed and damage of the bullet), unique puzzles in platformers. I could go on forevor.

Wow that would actually be a cool idea, bullets that bounce of the concrete or metal. Think of all the news things that could open up for gameplay.

To bad. Got my hopes up. I would have loved to see what the developers could have done with characthers if they had a PPU. somehow I dont think it will be as good without the hardware.

So is this just a middleware then? Nothing more, all its going to do is help developers utilize the cell to its full potential?

Spank said:
Tom are wrong, ps3 will not include a ppu from ageia. they have licensed the use of novadex the physics library. No hardware, just software

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/050721be.pdf

Bleh. I won't have a PS3 anyway, but if it had a PPU, it might make it to the PC sooner.
I guess we'll first see something like this integrated on graphics cards. It's the only way I can imagine it overcoming the chicken/egg problem on the PC.

edit: Whee! [H]ardness Supreme. :D

So Sony is following the Xbox360? Since MS already had Ageia's Novodex physics engine SDK in use since before E3.

With the CPU Sony has chosen a dedicated physics chip would not make much sense. I do think it's likely in the next gen, though it may simply be a physics core rather than an entire chip.

Back