PS3 specs revealed

Terpfen

Supreme [H]ardness
Thanks, Shacknews!

* Backwards compatibility with both PSone and PS2 games.
* Will use Blu-Ray discs for media; also supports: CD-ROM, CD+RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R
* Cell processor at 3.2GHz
* 2.18 teraflops of performance
* 512MB total: 256MB XDR system RAM at 3.2 GHz; 256MB of GDDRVRAM at 700MHz
* Detachable 2.5in HDD
* Six USB ports; Memory Stick Duo, SD and Compact Flash support
* 2 HDMI outputs, 1 A/V output, 1 SPDIF optical output, and a 1 gigabit ethernet port
* Video chat, Internet access, digital picture, audio, and video viewing
* Capable of handling seven Bluetooth controllers

Graphics:

* Chip is called RSX "Reality Synthesizer" by nVidia
* 128 bit pixel precision and 1080p support
* 300 million transistors; 90nm process
* Said to be more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultras

My comments: I'm not too sure about the RAM, but everything else looks great. I'm glad there's finally a console that's supporting output methods besides component, composite, and S-Video. It looks like Sony kind of missed the boat on WiFi, though. Maybe that'll be available via adapter, or maybe no one's mentioning it yet.

Speaking of Sony and WiFi, has anyone heard anything about the PSP being updated to support WPA/2?

I saw it, but it's probably better to start a separate thread now that we have the actual specs.

ryanrule said:
its not backwards compatible, they have stated that already

Where? Most sources are reporting that it's backwards compatible.

39ry.jpg
%C3%A9%E2%80%BA%E2%80%A0%C3%A5%C2%90%CB%863%C3%A3%C2%81%C2%A4%C3%A4%C2%B8%C2%A6%C3%A3%C2%81%C2%B3_0003.jpg

I want to add a 200gig HD and this to be my new computer. *drool*

If that design is correct PS3 definiatly have the edge over the X360 in looks :D

I think its butt ugly.. and people complained about the 360 not fitting in with the other things.. this thing is just wierd looking.

* Said to be more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultras

That statement is propaganda thats for sure. Sony has been known for lieing about specs and how many fillrates and stuff same with microsoft with xbox. Right now it looks to be a pretty good system. :)

Oh wow.. that new shot is even uglier. No more complaining about the 360 being not stackable.

diehard said:
Oh wow.. that new shot is even uglier. No more complaining about the 360 being not stackable.
well if you turn the 360 at a 90 degree angle, the concave will fit into the bulge on the ps3

Michael.R said:
Actually It kinda looks like my office scanner lol but I still like it.

yes, that's what it's look like.. looks like a mini scanner to me w/ a spiderman fonts LOL :D dont care about the looks tho.. this thing is a beast if sony isnt lieing about the specs..

Whatever. I just want one. I mean do the specs really matter. We all know we are going to buy it anyway ;)

I bet you that thing slides ( left to right )...

X360 looks a ton better, and im sure the ATi GPU is better.

diehard said:

Even if you COULD stack the ps3, why would you want to ? ;)

Personally I would want to show anyone who comes to my house my sleek PS3, you know, the one they DON'T have at their place? :)

And about the specs, I don't really give a crap about the specs, it's all about the GAMES!

You guys are crazy...the system looks fine.

Those specs sound right to me since it is slated for 2006.

Gran Turismo 5 has just been announced.

--------------------------------------------------

Metal Gear Solid 4 has been announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive!

A representative from Capcom has just announced Devil May Cry 4 as a PlayStation 3 exclusive!

Square Enix has just shown off a Final Fantasy VII tech demo for the PlayStation 3, but they did not announce a specific game for it. Yet.

A representative from Square Enix has taken the stage.

A Getaway sequel has just been announced for PS3.

PlayStation 3's Blu-Ray Disk medium at 6x will feature 324Mb/sec data transfer rate. This will enable extremely fast load times.

Apparently, there will be a "PlayStation P2P Online Service", although just how this works is unclear as of right now.

well, you could always stand the two systems vertical next to eachother, and maybe either have the nr on the top on under them :p

the 3 ethernet ports are most likely acting like a switch/router where many ps3s can connect to with mutli tvs or something around that.

**Looks at list above

Someone needs to tell both Microsoft and Sony that we want new licenses as well.

Xbox 360 seems like the better console IMO. Hech, an updated XBL will own anything Sony can push out. Hardware wise...they seem pretty much the same...to early to tell, but X360 looks better as of now.

Conker said:
That statement is propaganda thats for sure. Sony has been known for lieing about specs and how many fillrates and stuff same with microsoft with xbox. Right now it looks to be a pretty good system. :)
haha in real world it will be like 1/3 unless you spend 5year devolpeing for it

cypher22 said:
Square Enix has just shown off a Final Fantasy VII tech demo for the PlayStation 3, but they did not announce a specific game for it. Yet.
What?

Like... FF7 with updated PS3 graphics? or something?

Ballz2TheWallz said:
haha in real world it will be like 1/3 unless you spend 5year devolpeing for it

Riiight because learning is the tool of devil isn't it? :rolleyes:

I still wish they stuck with a pop top, a lot of the issues I've experienced with dropped PS2s is the with the retractable motor and laser assembly. I suppose the exclusion of the tray is a start. :)

Back