PS3 Slim w/ Card Reader Add On?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
So my PS3 slim has no way to read SD cards to stream photo's on and I was wondering if possible, can I simply purchase a SD card reader and hook it up via USB to the slim? Has anyone tried this or know if the PS3 will recognise it? Yes I know my slim has 'Bluetooth' but I would like to know if the memory card is able to be somehow directly inserted into the console.

I never tried it but I think if you insert the SD card into a USB adapter and then hook up the USB adapter to the USB slot on the PS3 then the PS3 will recognize it as a memory card and will just show it on the XMB

I've heard that USB memory card readers will work, but I've never tried it.

It will probably treat it the same as a flash drive. Try a search at the Playstation support site.

From experience, my 40GB "fat" PS3 does just fine with FAT32 formatted SD cards and a cheap USB SD reader.

"any" card reader or usb thumbdrive adapter should work with the PS3. To include multi-format readers and single format solutions.

I personally have a little thumbdrive that lets me put any SD card I want into it. Though I do have a 60gig PS3 with the card readers built in, I barely ever use them. My digital SLR uses compact flash, but I don't think I've ever even put that card into my PS3.

Last edited:
So my PS3 slim has no way to read SD cards to stream photo's on and I was wondering if possible, can I simply purchase a SD card reader and hook it up via USB to the slim? Has anyone tried this or know if the PS3 will recognise it? Yes I know my slim has 'Bluetooth' but I would like to know if the memory card is able to be somehow directly inserted into the console.

As I was browsing the internet the other day for playstion 3 accessories since I was thinking of buying a slim for multimedia purposes, I came across this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3496469

Maybe that might help

I have a cheap USB card reader that came with a SD flash card I bought. It works just fine in the PS3. No special devices are needed, USB card readers will work just fine.

Back