PS3 Slim Shipping Tomorrow?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is the new PS Slim shipping tomorrow? According to this Amazon listing it is. Hmmm, maybe I’ll pop in an order for one just to see if this is legit. My launch PS3 has been in for repairs three times, once under warranty and two at $150 a whack. Maybe I’ll have better luck with the PS3 Slim. If any of you order one, let me know when you get it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
3 times for repair? Wow, I rarely read about any PS3s failing. You've got bad luck... or a very hot living room ;)

Never had a problem with my 60gb ps3. It was a refurb from gamestop too. Two years and going strong.

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. My launch PS3 is still cranking along fine and none of my friends have had their PS3s go bad. Our 360s are a different story. :)

In my country no retailer has the suggested SONY price yet =( The lowest price right now is €349 while the suggested price in Europe is €299. Maybe it will change after the release and they are just trying to get get money out of people who pre-order. A few days ago the lowest was €399 for a pre-order of the PS3 slim.

Same story here. I've had my 80GB PS3 since the MGS4 launch (I got the MGS4 bundle) and it's been folding every day since (while I'm not gaming anyways) with no probs, hah. Bad luck or ventilation.. ?

I've always been a somewhat early adopter of consoles so I never have a chance to get their revised versions. Unless my current one dies on me, I'll pass on the slim as I did the PS2 slim.

got my 80 gig early this year (feb/march), and no problems, other than it is a dust magnet.

take it out to the workshop and a little carefull use of compressed air cleans it out quite nicely..

while I dont fold with mine, it does run from about 6 am till about midnight, I use it to stream video to the tv, as well as of course, playing the occasional blu-ray. as I am not a big gamer, it dont game much, just sits there being an interface between the my pc and the tv.

PS3 was in the shop once under warranty for a failed BlueRay drive. Been rock solid otherwise. 360 has been repaired 7 times. That is 7 free months of XBox Live! All repairs under warranty - I don't think they check, if you submit as a 3 ringer, usually get a replacement in 2-3 weeks.

Put in an order for the slim last Friday - with two day shipping the status says it hasn't yet shipped - though estimated to arrive on the 28th (this Friday).

Here's hoping. Picking up an HD Fury 2 tonight so I can use it on my VGA loving projector (grumble). Ordered Dark Knight and Iron man on Blu-ray which will hopefully get here Wednesday - though they haven't shipped them yet. In for a good weekend.

Is it odd that I won't have any games for it - nor really plan on any? Though I'll admit MAG intrigued me - we'll see if they manage to pull off their grand plan with it. Just couldn't bite on a Blu-ray player that COULDN'T play games.. even if I wasn't planning on it. I'm a sick sick person =P

never had a problems with my 60 gb PS3. Plus, I rarely play on mine; just for watching movies. :D

I went to a local Gamestop, and the manager told me they were in fact expecting a shipment tomorrow. Or at very least, that someone from the warehouse in the Chicago area would drop the pre-orders off, or he would be summoned to pick them up. They apparently arrive sometime today.

They were not planning on getting any more than the number of pre-order units though. And I guess that is the same for all stores.

He only got two pre-orders though. Said that he talked with other managers and it wasn't selling well, at all. Maybe everyone is going with an e-tailer. I would have, but I hate doing that with what might be a popular pre-order item. Gotten burned in the past. In the end, tax is not much more than shipping.

I sold my year old 40gb for $250 last week on craigslist. Even disclosed that I was planning on getting a slim. Guy apparently didn't mind, as he already knew about the price cut.

$50 for a new PS3, under warranty. Another dualshock, and maybe some energy savings. Latest rumblings are that the 45nm might even be a bit speedier, according to the folks over at IBM.

I might look into it if I ever plan on getting a next gen system.. my house is still rolling along just fine with three of the "fat" PS2s, an X-Box.. and a plethora of retired systems.

My 30GB PS3 has been trucking along with zero problems since day one. I never knew how crappy Xbox 360s were.

I work with a buddy of mine who's on his fifth 360 in a little over three years. that's freakin' insane. no wonder why a lot of people dog those things. they really are crap. lol

My 30GB PS3 has been trucking along with zero problems since day one. I never knew how crappy Xbox 360s were.

I work with a buddy of mine who's on his fifth 360 in a little over three years. that's freakin' insane. no wonder why a lot of people dog those things. they really are crap. lol

20gb, 40gb, 60gb, 80gb, 120gb flavors.

Waiting till they add the backwards compatibility back into the Slim's. Thinking they will since Sony just took out a license for the PS2 emulation for the new slim.

Waiting till they add the backwards compatibility back into the Slim's. Thinking they will since Sony just took out a license for the PS2 emulation for the new slim.

That seems to contradict the reports I've read that backwards compatibility won't be added to the slim. Of course, they would want to say that so they don't kill sales of the slim PS3 (by announcing a future version with BC).

My original ps3 works fine. This new one is only cell cpu reduction with lots of stuff cut out only 2 usb ports, no card readers, bc, etc.

My original ps3 works fine. This new one is only cell cpu reduction with lots of stuff cut out only 2 usb ports, no card readers, bc, etc.

And no option to install Linux. I guess the main drawback with that would be no more MAME in Linux. I still need to try installing that some time.

3 times for repair? Wow, I rarely read about any PS3s failing. You've got bad luck... or a very hot living room ;)

You know how every. single. time. I post a link to a PS3 firmware update and two billion people cry that it borked their box? Well, I was one of those people (twice).

Through no fault of my own, the console was borked by mandatory updates and if it is out of warranty, tough luck. The third time was a random fan speed up issue hat had to go in to be fixed. Only ONE of the firmware update issues was covered under warranty...the other two cost me $$ to have fixed.

Three screw ups from a launch console sucks, especially when you are charged for it. $599.99 purchase price plus two repairs means my PS3 has cost me about $300 a year to own.

Ouch, sorry to hear about those misfortunes Steve. Man that really bites! That's a lot put into one ps3!

My friend was fortunate with a recent PS3 purchase he had. His blu-ray drive would act up, and I guess from what he said, his ps3 wouldn't start up at times so he was able to return his to get $100 back and a ps3 slim (I believe we already have them here since we're a day ahead of the U.S. mainland). Lucky he's within his 30 days of purchasing his console from Gamestop.

Well, it does actually add some things, and if you take what IBM said, to heart, the 45nm is a bit speedier.

If you have a Bravia TV, you can now control everything with one remote.

If you have a receiver that can process bitstream properly, the slim adds the ability to do so with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

And there are energy savings to think about.

As far as BC, Sony isn't going to do that until PS2 sales drop to a point where adding it would not hurt their bottom line.

Back