PS3 selling close to retail in online auctions

Axoman

Limp Gawd
From the [H] news page, online PS3 auctions have been selling for near retail prices in Japan already a week after launch. Think that that will happen here within a week of launch? I'm thinking not.

Edit: clarified to indicate it's in Japan.

I see two price spikes... right after launch and right before xmas. I think there will be plenty selling for ~$850 before too long.

They're leveling off because people are hearing that peoples' pre-orders are getting cancelled.

They're going to spike after launch, guaranteed.

K600 said:
They're leveling off because people are hearing that peoples' pre-orders are getting cancelled.
Should probably clarify the OP. It's the Japanese auctions that are going for a little over retail.

Psychotext said:
Should probably clarify the OP. It's the Japanese auctions that are going for a little over retail.

And what interest would Japan have in the ps3, when the biggest game is an FPS.

kaluminati said:
And what interest would Japan have in the ps3, when the biggest game is an FPS.
It's a PS3. That should be all Japan needs. Plus it has Ridge Racer.... Riiiiiiiidge Racerrrrrr!

perhaps there isnt much hype as thought?

ironically some morning news show (heard from a guy at work, so i dont know which show) today were testing out the ps3 and concluded they were not impressed.
thats obviously not good for hype.
im not sure that will happen here though... unimpressive news wont help, but this is america...

Clearly, some jag-off news type is the end all and be all of console evaluation :rolleyes:

The last time the media ever really tried to push that 'videogame' angle was with the DC area snipers. The media pegged the snipers as white, 18-24 year old males, from the suburbs, that played too many videogames. It turned out to be an older, black, ex-military, Muslim, pedophile that was totally bat-shit crazy.

Killdozer said:
Clearly, some jag-off news type is the end all and be all of console evaluation :rolleyes:

The last time the media ever really tried to push that 'videogame' angle was with the DC area snipers. The media pegged the snipers as white, 18-24 year old males, from the suburbs, that played too many videogames. It turned out to be an older, black, ex-military, Muslim, pedophile that was totally bat-shit crazy.

which is exactly why i said i dont think that will happen here.
but it boggles my mind that it seems japan isnt interested in ps3.

Stereophile said:
95% of the auctions I've been watching have ended at anywhere from $1500-2000.
Was the same in Japan. I'm more interested in seeing what happens after launch. I love this kinda thing, remember watching the 360 auctions with interest too. Not happy with Nintendo though... WHERE'S MY EBAY FUN?!? :p

Stereophile said:
95% of the auctions I've been watching have ended at anywhere from $1500-2000.

yea but wii's have been going for 350-600$ as well, who knows what will actually happen after launch comes though.

Psychotext said:
Was the same in Japan. I'm more interested in seeing what happens after launch. I love this kinda thing, remember watching the 360 auctions with interest too. Not happy with Nintendo though... WHERE'S MY EBAY FUN?!? :p

haha, I will watch the auctions with interest as well.

When people find out that they can't get it in stores and that only 200k units made it to the US it will be worse than the Xbox 360 launch.

My prediction is prices will spike to $2500-3000.

I was originally planning to keep one PS3 for me, but if I only score one and they're selling for ridiculous amounts, then the highest bidder can have it. I can wait a few months for mine. :D

If it's Japan, then that's all the explanation you need. The unexpected success of the DS has put people into a frenzy for the Wii.

Yaeh, the close to retail auctions are in Japan.
It's probably because the average Japanese person has more sense on their head than to get gouged for some toy.

$3000 bucks....hahahha

If there are more than 5 people on the planet willing to pay $3000 dollars to get one at launch instead of 3-6 months later or even a year later I think they should instead combine their funds and give me 15000 to go over and slap each one of them in the face 3000 times.

I find that to be for more worth the money:)

CopyCat said:
$3000 bucks....hahahha

If there are more than 5 people on the planet willing to pay $3000 dollars to get one at launch instead of 3-6 months later or even a year later I think they should instead combine their funds and give me 15000 to go over and slap each one of them in the face 3000 times.

numbers overload

CopyCat said:
$3000 bucks....hahahha

Here is one to start your list with.

over 4k high bid

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
CopyCat said:
$3000 bucks....hahahha

Or they just make enough money and can afford the luxury.

maybe it is related to the fact that everybody and their aunt is buying a PS3 to dump in on ebay later, telling me that there may be little "gotta have it now" demand.

pr0pensity said:
Or they just make enough money and can afford the luxury.
Most of the rich people I know aren't stupid with their money. It's the ones that THINK or want to appear that they're rich that spend money like water. :D

Back