ps3. safe to buy now?

From what I've read this generation of hardware is going to last longer than in years past. How many more, I dunno.

I'm getting one this xmas, waited long enough...

From what I've read this generation of hardware is going to last longer than in years past. How many more, I dunno.

i've read that as well (can't remember where). there are some great games out for the PS3, i don't regret buying mine at all.

Yeah
I don't think we ll have a new gen untill xmas 2012 earliest

Natal and dildo wand i think will be the enfasis a couple years

You're safe AFAIK. Lots of games coming out still for the PS3.. hasn't it only been out for 2-3 years?

not to mention built in blu-ray and media server, its still a very good buy.

yea I agree with others 2012 is the earliest as sony spent hundreds of millions on R&D on the PS3 it wouldnt make sense to can it and start anew when they are barely just starting to make money off it or even coming out even.

yea I agree with others 2012 is the earliest as sony spent hundreds of millions on R&D on the PS3 it wouldnt make sense to can it and start anew when they are barely just starting to make money off it or even coming out even.

Well, I tend to agree with the logic there, and I think they can get away with it. There is simply no need for bigger, flashier graphics any time soon, so both PS3 and 360 are safe in that regard.

That said, PS3 has already gobbled up 9 years worth of PS2 profits and it's still losing money (though it's coming closer to breaking even on a per-unit basis), so whether it'll EVER earn a profit is highly debatable. Only time will tell.

I actually think that's the least attractive feature of the PS3. I have no intention of feeding a nickel in the bluray movie machine.

I'm down for some of the great titles they have now, though!

Why wouldnt you want to watch Blu-Ray movies? Im assuming that you have a display with native 1080p, so why not? Just not into the price of movies?

Why wouldnt you want to watch Blu-Ray movies? Im assuming that you have a display with native 1080p, so why not? Just not into the price of movies?

My current 61" is 720p, but that's not the reason. Really it's that Blu ray is a dead end technology, so I don't want to waste money on it. Streaming is, like it or not, the future of distribution. BR is just a stopgap.

Besides, a shitty movie at 1080p is still a shitty movie :)

Really it's that Blu ray is a dead end technology, so I don't want to waste money on it. Streaming is, like it or not, the future of distribution. BR is just a stopgap.

All current technology is a dead end...DVD lasted how many years? Regardless of streaming technology I expect BluRay to last at least that long if not longer. Streaming has many hurdles to overcome.

1080P looks pretty good to me right now...

Lol true. I get ya; I suppose I personally like knowing I have a physical copy of the media I purchased. But I do see where its going. Its cool that I know in the future Ill be able to stream full HD content to my (purchased sometime in the future) theater setup, just.... I like discs damn it! :D

All current technology is a dead end...DVD lasted how many years? Regardless of streaming technology I expect BluRay to last at least that long if not longer. Streaming has many hurdles to overcome.

DVD's lasted over a dozen years, but I doubt bluray will. Too many limitations, too slow. To be fair, it's done well for what is essentially a repackaged failed backup technology.

Still, I'm done wasting money on physical media. I stream Netflix, Hulu, and several other content sources straight to my 360 (and no doubt will to my new PS3 after black friday) and I'm more than happy with them.

Plus, I'm sick and tired of physical media stacking up around my house. I've got three huge shelves filled with movie disks and I'm simply sick of it.

The 'hurdles' that streaming has to get over are less significant than most people think :)

Lol true. I get ya; I suppose I personally like knowing I have a physical copy of the media I purchased. But I do see where its going. Its cool that I know in the future Ill be able to stream full HD content to my (purchased sometime in the future) theater setup, just.... I like discs damn it! :D

I felt the same way until I started using netflix and hulu to stream to my 360. Then I realized, most movies or shows...I don't watch more than once, maybe twice in a year, sometimes longer than that. That's no good reason for making my living room look like a goddamn video store :)

I felt the same way until I started using netflix and hulu to stream to my 360. Then I realized, most movies or shows...I don't watch more than once, maybe twice in a year, sometimes longer than that. That's no good reason for making my living room look like a goddamn video store :)

Exactly how I feel. PS3 has built in wireless ya?

So wait.
You're basing your logic on if it is safe to buy now when you think a PS4 is coming soon...and you decided to now see if it is safe when it would be closer to the PS4 launch...

i c.

Sony has commented many times that they have a 10 year life cycle for both the PS2 and the PS3. That is not to say that a PS4 won't come along sometime while the PS3 is still having games made for it. ...but the gaming public is not ready to spend money on a new hardware system. Besides developers haven't squeezed out all the power they can out of these systems. I personally think it'll be years before we see a PS4 or a xbox 720. An earlier poster of 2012 seems reasonable. We might start hearing news about it then.

As for bluray. It is my understanding that Netflix streaming isn't true HD quality. Additionally how is the sound packaged? Is it 5.1? Bitstreaming? It was always my understanding that while Netflix clearly fills the itch of convenience, that the bluray disk beats it in the visual and audio HD quality department.

Just because the PS4 will come out on Q2 2013 doesn't mean the PS3 will stop being good on Q2 2013 or the PS4 will be a viable purchase.

Look at the PS3, some would argue only now, 2 years later, does the cost/benefit analysis on the PS3 makes sense. Given these two things you would have at least 5-6 more years of great development for the present generation before adopting the next.

~Versius

As for bluray. It is my understanding that Netflix streaming isn't true HD quality. Additionally how is the sound packaged? Is it 5.1? Bitstreaming? It was always my understanding that while Netflix clearly fills the itch of convenience, that the bluray disk beats it in the visual and audio HD quality department.

Streaming options right now are sub dvd quality, meaning they're trash compared to bluray. That's not to say it doesn't have its uses, such as half hour comedy shows, but for a worthy movie there's no substitute for bluray. I make sure to dvr shows like Lost or 24 because even for them streaming just isn't comparable.

And while its easy to say that streaming will get better because its still young, well, the truth is most people honestly either don't care or don't have the av equipment to make the difference worth it. Even if our networks and devices could handle true high def streaming (which they can't) the lack of market still makes it questionable. What's wrong with the current model of low quality for quick, easy, and cheap, and a more expensive option with top quality that's less convenient?

good luck streaming 1080p on a 8mb connection :D

My current 61" is 720p, but that's not the reason. Really it's that Blu ray is a dead end technology, so I don't want to waste money on it. Streaming is, like it or not, the future of distribution. BR is just a stopgap.

Right, BD movies (1080p24) stuff average at about 25mbit/sec with a max of 50 something. Compare that to a 5mbit stream. I mean if I'm spending a good amount of money on a home theater system, there is no way I will feature a low bitrate stream.

Food for thought.

To stream Blu-Ray Quality or near it, about 28Gigs for a 2 hour movie when using bitstream for sound you would need a 31.85Mbps connection not counting TCP/IP overhead which would probably place you around 40Mbps to maintain a steady stream.

Most ISPs dont provide that. Those that do, charge about $100/month. This isn't even factoring bandwidth caps in. Comcast has a 250gb cap. Thats 8 movies if you use your internet for NOTHING else. Some ISPs such as time warner are charging $1 per GB over cap, so you're paying $28 for the movie just to download it, plus whatever you paid the vendor for it.

Steaming is great for TV shows or other things, but anyone who has spent $2000+ on a home theater system knows blu-ray is the only viable method of getting high quality content.

Steaming is great for TV shows or other things, but anyone who has spent $2000+ on a home theater system knows blu-ray is the only viable method of getting high quality content.

The source of market disparity.

The knowing part combined with the money part. Some people just don't know and haven't the money. Slagging the technology comes naturally to them.

As far as the PS3 being safe to buy, just watch out for cars in the parking lot after you complete your purchase and you should be ok.

All consoles have to undergo various certifications, such as, CSA, UL etc..
Thus it is highly unlikely that the PS3 will explode and burn down your house.
So i would say its as safe as ever to buy a PS3.

I actually think that's the least attractive feature of the PS3. I have no intention of feeding a nickel in the bluray movie machine.

I'm down for some of the great titles they have now, though!

Netflix FTW!

I've bought 2 BR movies and had my PS3 since 2007. Blade Runner (BB Gift card- and a killer price for 5 discs) and Sleeping Beauty. I'm a sucker for Disney animation- the real hand drawn stuff, not the newer CGI stuff, but I still appreciate the Pixar movies.

how soon until we have the playstation 4?
You'll see the next Wii and Xbox before the next Playstation. Hopefully you don't own either of those or this thread is going to immediately become irritating.

Exactly how I feel. PS3 has built in wireless ya?

Yeah, the only downer is that it's 802.11g, which isn't sufficient to stream HD reliably, but you really can't blame anybody for that, given it took 7 freaking years for them to ratify 802.11n.

PS3 in terms of pure hardware, is the best deal in console gaming right now. I still think 360 edges it out in terms of services/game library, but it's just *barely*.

Streaming options right now are sub dvd quality, meaning they're trash compared to bluray. That's not to say it doesn't have its uses, such as half hour comedy shows, but for a worthy movie there's no substitute for bluray. I make sure to dvr shows like Lost or 24 because even for them streaming just isn't comparable.

And while its easy to say that streaming will get better because its still young, well, the truth is most people honestly either don't care or don't have the av equipment to make the difference worth it. Even if our networks and devices could handle true high def streaming (which they can't) the lack of market still makes it questionable. What's wrong with the current model of low quality for quick, easy, and cheap, and a more expensive option with top quality that's less convenient?

That's actually not unilaterally true. Certainly, there are plenty of streaming titles with dvd or slightly less quality, but there are also a lot of streaming titles with *superb* quality at HD resolutions. The bitrates are certainly not as high as you get from a BR disk, but for most people it's good enough, and in many cases still better than SD.

As of today, Xbox 360 streams 1080p video with 5.1 surround. Obviously that's not as high of bitrate as a disk, but still, it's better than dvd, and that's pretty slick.

I'm currently running a 10Mb/1Mb connection and have good results with HD streaming, often producing a superior picture to dvd. Again, though, it does vary by title, but that's also true of disk based movies as well.

Food for thought.

To stream Blu-Ray Quality or near it, about 28Gigs for a 2 hour movie when using bitstream for sound you would need a 31.85Mbps connection not counting TCP/IP overhead which would probably place you around 40Mbps to maintain a steady stream.

Most ISPs dont provide that. Those that do, charge about $100/month. This isn't even factoring bandwidth caps in. Comcast has a 250gb cap. Thats 8 movies if you use your internet for NOTHING else. Some ISPs such as time warner are charging $1 per GB over cap, so you're paying $28 for the movie just to download it, plus whatever you paid the vendor for it.

I use time warner and I have neither a bandwidth cap nor any additional fees over a certain limit. SOME providers are trying that model out again (why? It was proven a failure over 10 years ago!). I pay $59 per month for a 10Mb/1Mb connection. It's clear you can't get full BR disk quality from a stream yet, but you can get *excellent* quality, certainly better than DVD.

It's true that most ISP's don't provide the bandwidth for full BR; but your math really doesn't add up at all. I watch *dozens* of shows and movies over netflix and hulu every month, all under that single $59 umbrella and of course netflix ($9 a month) and Xbox Live (Less than $3 a month, I never pay more than $30 for a membership).

The source of market disparity.

The knowing part combined with the money part. Some people just don't know and haven't the money. Slagging the technology comes naturally to them.

As far as the PS3 being safe to buy, just watch out for cars in the parking lot after you complete your purchase and you should be ok.

I understand the tech and can afford it just fine; I just chose not to waste my money on it. At a certain point, it's just ridiculous to have stacks of movies lining the walls of your living room. I've got mountains of DVD's and all I really want to do is rip them to digital files on a hard drive and dump the disks.

convenience > quality

for example: ipods. You could argue that DVDs popularity had less to do with quality then it did convenience (no rewind, more reliable, smaller) there was some draw-back, like having to be more careful, but people got used to that pretty quickly.

Streaming, or background downloading of higher quality content, I think will take over pretty soon, and bluray won't last as long, or be as big an impact, especially compared to DVD. It's still more "stuff" and almost all people don't like stuff, which again is evident with the ipod boom.

The content itself these days is also pretty disposable, so I imagine that also has allot to do with it

It has been confirmed by Microsoft and Sony that there systems will have 10 year life cycles.

So don't expect a new system till a long time.

You are definitely safe buying it now. Even if MS and Sony don't stick to the 10 year cycle, I would expect at least a 8 year cycle for the current consoles.

Do you not know how to edit? whats up with the triple post.

It's a great buy, I couldn't be happier with mine. Such a good investment if you use it as a media server.

It has been confirmed by Microsoft and Sony that there systems will have 10 year life cycles.

So don't expect a new system till a long time.

Yes, and in just the same way as the PS2 was said to have a 10 year lifespan, we'll see a PS4 well before PS3 sees its tenth year, no questions asked.

Any way you slice it, neither PS3 nor 360 are powerful enough to drive a full 1080p display at native resolution with high detail games featuring all kinds of effects. They're just too weak to do it, which is why you see so very few true 1080p games, and those you DO see are generally not the kind with huge levels of detail.

You're paying for the amount of time that you'll be using the product. You can buy it at launch, pay $600 and receive a product that will be used for 10 years, buy it 4 years later for $300, or buy it 8 years later for $200. If it's on a 10 year life cycle and you're factoring in inflation, time value of money, cost of games, price reduction on games that have been out..then it's going to all depend on how often you'll play the console. The console will not stop being playable when a PS4 comes out, it will still be very viable.
If you buy one game and play it constantly for 40 hours a week, buy it now. If you're planning on buying games you've never played before constantly you'll want a large supply of used games. Brand new games will cost $60 + tax, but have a fairly decent supply of very good used games available. The console itself at $300 isn't that much. The games are what break you.

..I've been studying all night for my test tomorrow. I'm in a very mathematical mood right now :(. I'm sure you can guess what subject.

Last edited:
Back