PS3 Revisions?

Josh123

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of trading my Xbox 360 for a PS3 but am clueless about the different types. Anyone mind helping me know the differences or a good site to read up on?

Do you care about playing PS2 games on your PS3? If not, just get the 40GB PS3, thats the latest model.

If you do want to play PS2 games or just want to see the differences, its like this:

40GB model
-Wifi
-No PS2 support
-2 USB ports
-No card reader (however all USB card readers work fine)
-65nm Cell chip. This is a fairly significant power savings, if you care about that type of thing. I run Folding@Home so this saves a few $ every month

20GB model
-No Wifi (this is the only PS3 model without wireless)
-Full PS2 support
-4 USB ports
-Card reader
-90nm Cell

60GB model
-Wifi
-Full PS2 support
-4 USB ports
-Card reader
-90nm Cell

80GB model
-Wifi
-Combination software emulation + hardware PS2 support
-4 USB Ports
-Card reader
-90nm Cell

If you want to have PS2 backwards compatibility, pick up the 80GB version.

If you don't care about it, go with the 40GB.

The 80GB has PS2 BC, 4 USB ports (instead of 2 on the 40gig), and memory card readers (memory stick, sd, flash).

The 40GB, on the other hand, runs quieter and cooler.

There is a new 80GB bundle coming out in June, with a Dualshock 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4.

If you want to have PS2 backwards compatibility, pick up the 80GB version.

If you don't care about it, go with the 40GB.

The 80GB has PS2 BC, 4 USB ports (instead of 2 on the 40gig), and memory card readers (memory stick, sd, flash).

The 40GB, on the other hand, runs quieter and cooler.

There is a new 80GB bundle coming out in June, with a Dualshock 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Dualshock 3?

Has the rumble feature in them, instead of the sixaxis motion control.

Ninja: Bah, curse you 4saken. ;)

Has the rumble feature in them, instead of the sixaxis motion control.
The Dual Shock 3 has motion sensing, I thought?

GameStop is selling refurb'd 60gb PS3's for $430. Even with tax and overnight shipping, it was still about $30 cheaper than an 80gb PS3 (although if price in Motorstorm, it evens out), and includes fancy hardware BC. You will have a relatively difficult time beating that price on eBay, or even the forums.

The 40gb also can't play SACDs, but the number of people who care about that feature is vanishingly small. Too bad, really.

How long is the Gamestop refurb warranty? If its anything under a year, I would think a 80GB model would be a smarter purchase. Not like PS3 have a high failure rate or anything, just that $430 might not make sense it it only comes with a 30/90 day warranty.

The DualShock 3 has motion sensing as well.

I just received mine yesterday. I used a $10 off coupon on Play-Asia, and got it for $58 after everything was said and done (including shipping).

How long is the Gamestop refurb warranty? If its anything under a year, I would think a 80GB model would be a smarter purchase. Not like PS3 have a high failure rate or anything, just that $430 might not make sense it it only comes with a 30/90 day warranty.

You also have to consider the condition these units are in. It is a 30 day warranty if I remember correctly.

I originally wanted serious backwards compatibility, but after I saw the condition of refurb units in the store I couldn't believe it. What on earth do these people do to their PS3s? It looked like a dog used it as a chew toy.

I bought a new 80GB because I baby my electronics.

Don't forget the potential that the 80gig will go away and be replaced by the 120gig, and the other rumor that there will be a price drop to $299 in July.

There's also a rumor that the 120GB will feature no backwards compatibility at all.

venn_copy.jpg

You also have to consider the condition these units are in. It is a 30 day warranty if I remember correctly.
Good point. I may need to buy the extended warranty from Gamestop. Then again, a lot of the 60gb PS3s are probably out of warranty by this point anyways, so there is that to consider.

Have they said if the 80 gig version coming in June w/ MGS and DS3 is still going to have 90nm chips or are they changing them to 65nm like the 40 gigs?

Don't forget the potential that the 80gig will go away and be replaced by the 120gig, and the other rumor that there will be a price drop to $299 in July.

Its hard to play the rumor game. Right now is actually a pretty good time to buy a PS3. The 40GB models are somewhat fresh, and the next announced SKU will be the MGS4 80GB bundle in June @ $499. Also Sony announced the BDP-S350 (Blu Ray Live) stand alone Blu Ray player will come out sometimes in the summer for $400. Is they drop the PS3 to $299, they would have just undercut themselves on a Blu Ray Live player.

Right now, the $399 PS3 is a good value considering its $349 to get a XBox with a HD in it. So just on a hardware level, the extra $50 gets you a bigger HD, wireless, and a Blu Ray player. Unless MS starts getting curbstomped by Sony on units sold, pricing should hold up fairly good until the 2008 holiday season.

Its hard to play the rumor game. Right now is actually a pretty good time to buy a PS3. The 40GB models are somewhat fresh, and the next announced SKU will be the MGS4 80GB bundle in June @ $499. Also Sony announced the BDP-S350 (Blu Ray Live) stand alone Blu Ray player will come out sometimes in the summer for $400. Is they drop the PS3 to $299, they would have just undercut themselves on a Blu Ray Live player.

Right now, the $399 PS3 is a good value considering its $349 to get a XBox with a HD in it. So just on a hardware level, the extra $50 gets you a bigger HD, wireless, and a Blu Ray player. Unless MS starts getting curbstomped by Sony on units sold, pricing should hold up fairly good until the 2008 holiday season.

This is what has been going through my head. I love my 360 but it's been collecting dust and my cousin has a 360 I could borrow if I wanted.

They are also releasing a white ps3 into the states as well, the satin silver will be released into japan in march, and there are strong rumors to suggest the next line of consoles will have the 45nm cell processors, meaning a ps3 running on 80 watts !!!!!! and also linux pre installed, but I doubt that.

Well, my refurb PS3 from Gamestop came today. Apart from lacking the "Playstation 3" scrawled across the top (which is, IMHO, ugly anyways), it seems to be in pretty fantastic shape. Still doing some testing (need to rent/borrow a BR-D), but everything else I've tried works as expected. They didn't do anything insane like toss a 60gb HDD in a 40gb PS3, as far as I can tell.

I love the PSP integration via Remote Play, which is quite neat (albeit under-developed - I'd like DVD and BR-D streaming). I despise the layout of the PSN shop, and the way everything seems to require an extra install step. And the fact that I can't use plain old DVI-D for _anything_ sucks - my monitor doesn't have HDCP.

Overall, I am pleased.

And the fact that I can't use plain old DVI-D for _anything_ sucks - my monitor doesn't have HDCP.

Overall, I am pleased.

A cheap HDMI cable and HDMI to DVI adaptor from monoprice has my PS3 running on my TV with only a DVI input at 1080i. Only set me back about $15.

A cheap HDMI cable and HDMI to DVI adaptor from monoprice has my PS3 running on my TV with only a DVI input at 1080i. Only set me back about $15.

Are you sure your TV doesn't have DVI-HDCP?

Are you sure your TV doesn't have DVI-HDCP?

DVI-HDMI yes, DVI-HDCP no. My set came out WAY before the HDCP standard (I believe the set was introduced in 2002). But from what I've read lately, HDMI is supposed to be backward compatible with DVI, so as long as the two devices have a setting in common, the adaptor should work. Lack of HDCP may come into play, but so far so good here.

DVI-HDMI yes, DVI-HDCP no. My set came out WAY before the HDCP standard (I believe the set was introduced in 2002). But from what I've read lately, HDMI is supposed to be backward compatible with DVI, so as long as the two devices have a setting in common, the adaptor should work. Lack of HDCP may come into play, but so far so good here.
What exact brand and model of TV do you have? I would bet you dollars to doughnuts that your set does indeed have a DVI-HDCP input.

I was under the impression that a lack of HDCP only limited the BluRay playback.

I was under the impression that a lack of HDCP only limited the BluRay playback.
That's the only thing it _should_ be required for. But from everything I've read on the 'net about people actually testing that theory, it turns out that the PS3 _always_ requires HDCP over DVI/HDMI.

What exact brand and model of TV do you have? I would bet you dollars to doughnuts that your set does indeed have a DVI-HDCP input.

It's an RCA D52W20, as I said, bought in 2002. The manual calls the jack DVI-HDTV, and it only accepts a signal at 1080i.

I swear I read somewhere that blu-ray makers weren't using HDCP encoding right away, maybe thats why its worked thus far, but I can't see a set supporting HDCP that was built 3 years before the standard.

So if I buy a 40gb PS3 from Best Buy it will end up having the 65nm chip?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but i believe it was rumored the 40gb was going to have the 65nm cpu, but in the end it doesnt, nor do any models yet.

It's an RCA D52W20, as I said, bought in 2002. The manual calls the jack DVI-HDTV, and it only accepts a signal at 1080i.
My research indicates that that TV does indeed have DVI-HDCP. Looks like I'm stuck on component for a bit.

The thing that disc manufacturers weren't using right away was ICT, which is much different than HDCP. HDCP is indeed in full use right now.

My research indicates that that TV does indeed have DVI-HDCP.

A little more googling on the set seems to say as much. I didn't think it possibly could as I read HDCP was introduced in 2005, 3 years after I bought my set. I clearly remember it being 2002 because I was all excited to have it just in time for the NHL playoffs that year, the last time the Wings won the cup. Guess I won't need to upgrade my TV in the near future as I thought I would.

And thanks for the clarification on the ICT thing.

Is anyone planning on picking up the MGS4 package? Its looking mighty tempting to me. I've always been a huge MGS fan, and now that the format war is history, blu-ray is also a very enticing perk.

MGS4 will be killer. It's the first PS3 game to be developed with the latest and greatest open gl spec.

Metal Gear Online looks interesting too. Beta access is an enticing reason to pre-order.

Thanks for the info. Think I'll have to run to BB once I get this months reward certificates :).

Every time i have been to BB they have not had any consoles in stock, they only thing they have are the slim PS2's in sliver. Thats it, oh yah and rock band for the Xbox360.

I go to Target they have PS3's, Xbox's but no Wii's
I go to Wal-Mart they have PS3's Xbox's and Wii's and Guitar Hero for both PS3 and Wii.

I dont get it, home come the "game" stores never have any stock but the others that i mention do? Yes i know its due to high demand but if people are getting like me they wont even think about going to them anymore since they never have any stock.

Back