PS3 Randomly turns on.......

ValidusX

n00b
I'm new to the PS3 so I'm not sure if this is normal or not but, somedays I come home from work my PS3 will be turned on after I know it was off. Is this normal, is it trying to update because I have it setup through my wireless? My concern is when I'm not using it, its behind a glass door of my TV stand with no real ventilation and it gets hot sitting on the shelf under DVR.

i'm pretty sure that's not normal. mine never turns on by itself. do you have the Sony PS3 remote control? i noticed that if you even just brush one of the buttons it will automatically turn on your PS3. maybe your cat or something is f'in around with your PS3 remote during the day, if you have one.

if you have remote play turned on --- a random PSP on the internet could be turning on your PS3.

if you have remote play turned on --- a random PSP on the internet could be turning on your PS3.

I'm pretty sure you have to register your PSP to your PS3 to be able to do that, random PSP's wouldnt be able to turn on his PS3....

My question is.... do you live in an apartment complex? Possiable if people around you also have a PS3?

ValidusX, can you confirm if you have a PSP w/ Remote Play activated? Some routers send packets to the PS3 causing it to turn on if remote play wake on lan feature is activated. This issue should have been resolved with an older firmware.

Do you have a PS3 blu-ray remote? Hitting any button on this thing will turn the PS3 on.

Do you have a PS3 blu-ray remote? Hitting any button on this thing will turn the PS3 on.

No, just the PS button will do that. Hittin X or R1 will not turn on your PS3... controller or remote.

no, ANY damn button will turn it on.

Not on mine. I have a 60G PS3 and remote. Only thing that wakes up my PS3 is the PS Button... which sometimes can get pressed by accident... or the power button on the front.

So basically.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not on mine. I have a 60G PS3 and remote. Only thing that wakes up my PS3 is the PS Button... which sometimes can get pressed by accident... or the power button on the front.

So basically.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

hmm...interesting. 40Gb, FW 2.20 and any button turns it on.

It has become self aware. Smash it, and smash it now before it starts hunting for sarah connor.

Don't connect it to the internet! It'll take over the military and kill us all!!!!

Could it just be someone who lived with you turning it on or something?

It has become self aware. Smash it, and smash it now before it starts hunting for sarah connor.

:D funniest shit ever.

That's pretty weird. 60GB w/FW 2.20 and mine only turns on with the PS button too.

well, must be a hardware thing then. that or a setting somewhere. tell you what, i'll trade you my kick-ass 40Gb model with uber 'power on' features for your 60Gb model with backwards compatibility. deal? :D

That's pretty weird. 60GB w/FW 2.20 and mine only turns on with the PS button too.
Same deal here. 60GB w/FW 2.20. I don't recall playing around with any power on settings, so it must be some kind of hardware issue.

no, ANY damn button will turn it on.

what he said. Any button.

20GB, Newest Firmware, the dog turns mine on all the time.

Do you perhaps have a cat or something that is trying to get some PS3 time when you aren't around? Maybe if you'd quit hogging the console all the time your pets wouldn't have to sneak around behind your back.

Same here. My 60GB has to have the PS button pressed and nothing else works excluding the one on the console itself. Have no idea what's happening with his PS3. Might want to call Sony up and see what's up.

So far we got...

4 :: 60G's that only turn on from PS button or Power button on front.
1 :: 20G that turns on from any button being pressed.
1 :: 40G that turns on from any button being pressed.

What about you others?

Come to think of it, my friends 80G only turns on from the PS button, he brings it over all the time so we can duel screen PS3s haha
:confused: :eek:

So far we got...

4 :: 60G's that only turn on from PS button or Power button on front.
1 :: 20G that turns on from any button being pressed.
1 :: 40G that turns on from any button being pressed.

What about you others?

Come to think of it, my friends 80G only turns on from the PS button, he brings it over all the time so we can duel screen PS3s haha
:confused: :eek:

I would chime in, but I don't have the blu-ray remote. We are just talking about that, right? I am fairly sure on the Sixaxis I have to push the PS button to turn it on. I need to get one of those remotes though. Been watching a lot of blu-ray lately and the sixaxis just doesn't cut it for me as a remote.

Yes I have the BR remote....Yes I live in a Condo connected to other units, No I do not have a PSP w/ Remote Play activated. Tonight I will check the settings for Remote play. I'm leaning toward the Remote idea though.
Oh BTW the "It has become self aware. Smash it, and smash it now before it starts hunting for sarah connor." Funny as Hell!:D

I have the 60Gb and any button on my blu-ray remote turns on my PS3 thats why I suggested it. Interesting to hear some others don't have this problem. I'll have to go through all my settings tonight.

BR remote, 40gb, ANY button will turn it on. Have done it multiple times fumbling around in the "remote basket" for my universal remote.

I couldn't find any settings related the Blu-Ray remote that will stop it from turning on the PS3 when hitting any button on the remote. My co-work also has this problem.

Those who said that only the PS button turns there PS3 on are talking about the Blu-ray Movie remote and not the Six-axis controller right?

I couldn't find any settings related the Blu-Ray remote that will stop it from turning on the PS3 when hitting any button on the remote. My co-work also has this problem.

Those who said that only the PS button turns there PS3 on are talking about the Blu-ray Movie remote and not the Six-axis controller right?

we're all talking about the PS3 blu ray remote.

Yea... if my PS3 60G not on, I can press all the buttons I want on my REMOTE (with no SIXAXIS) and it doesnt do a damn thing. Only the PS button for me.

Back