• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PS3 questions. - jailbreak, etc.

cyclone3d

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
18,427
So I am finally getting a "newer" console.. a 60GB PS3 for PS2 backwards compatibility and to replace my crappy slow BD player.

Yes it is old, but I really have no need or desire for a PS4 or an XB1.

I have never used PSN and have a few questions.

1. Jailbreak - can I still play legit games online if I jailbreak?
2. Jailbreak - Is it possible to use a HDD for CFW and a different HDD for OFW or does the firmware get put on the PS3 itself?
3. If I use the CFW that is the latest firmware, will I be able to sign onto PSN?
 
Kinda surprised nobody has responded yet.

In any case, there are different releases of Dual boot firmware packages so you can easily switch between the OFW and CFW packages.. and use one hdd for OFW and one hdd for CFW.
 
What Marcdaddy said in the fact that Jailbreak PS3s are pretty rare from my understanding.
 
So I am finally getting a "newer" console.. a 60GB PS3 for PS2 backwards compatibility and to replace my crappy slow BD player.

Yes it is old, but I really have no need or desire for a PS4 or an XB1.

I have never used PSN and have a few questions.

1. Jailbreak - can I still play legit games online if I jailbreak?
2. Jailbreak - Is it possible to use a HDD for CFW and a different HDD for OFW or does the firmware get put on the PS3 itself?
3. If I use the CFW that is the latest firmware, will I be able to sign onto PSN?

1: Theory says yes but Sony has ways of detecting modified firmware.
2: no, part or all of the firmware lives in a flash chip on the board. (all in the case of the older ones with the 256Gbit NAND chips)
3: See 1, one needs to be signed in to PSN to play games.

Having said all of that, mine hasn't been banned yet but i'm almost never on PSN on the PS3. I just read games to the HDD and play them there (faster loadtimes, avoids the laser that's getting a little wonky)

What Marcdaddy said in the fact that Jailbreak PS3s are pretty rare from my understanding.
It's mostly rare because if the PS3 is beyond v3.55 firmware one needs a hardware flasher in order to load the custom firmware. Those aren't cheap or easy to use.
 
Back
Top