PS3 production numbers

zflajs

Limp Gawd
First off this thread is not going against one side or the other but rather a statement of facts. Please do not flame this thread but add some insight with your opinions.

However, Hirai remains confident in the company's ability to deliver on its target of 2 million units for launch, shipping a further million units a month to reach its previously stated goal of 6 million units on the market by March 2007.

It has been previously stated that they have not even began manufacturing PS3's yet but they are still saying they will have 2 million units for launch. That means if they started manufacturing tomorrow they would have to produce roughly 22727 PS3's a day to meet this goal for a scheduled lauch of November 17 in the US (figuring production would be 7 days a week.) This is only a speculation of the number they would need to produce starting tomorrow, this number of course goes up everyday that sony does not start their manufacturing. This also does not include the time it would take to ship these units to stores for launch day/night (then again he was not quoted saying their would be 2 million SHIPPED by that date.)

From the many articles that quote Mr. Hirai, his estimates are that Sony should be able to produce 1 million units per month. How likely do you guys think this is possible? Could someone shed some light as to how many units 360 units currently ships and how many they shipped within the 6 months?

Personally I feel a black friday release date is more likely. It won't matter when they release in Japan, it will sell out no matter what, but for the US why not release the the second largest shopping day of the year (contrary to belief this is not black friday, but the saturday just preceding Christmas, at least in the US, though the numbers are often close).

Either way, for November, hopefully IBM and nVidia get their fabs up and running soon for the Cell and RSX to meet demand. Although, I do assume Sony was smart enough to include clauses in their contracts with each company to include damages pay should either fail to meet the deadline (Sony does have an excellent legal department).

Sony may not be manufacturing completed PS3 systems but i'd bet that the individual components such as the gfx chip, cpu and blu-ray drive components have been in production for some time.

The problem microsoft ran into with their post-launch shortages was supposedly due to component supply problems not a limitation of the actual assembly lines themselves.

Assuming there are no supply problems or big issues that crop up with the design in final assembly, producing 1million units a month across what sounds like a couple different factorys isn't that big of a stretch. They just need to hope everything goes very smoothly from now through final production if they're to launch with 2million consoles worldwide.

they corrected the orginal article...

UPDATE: Following the publication of 1UP's story this afternoon, Sony contacted us to clarify a few points, especially considering our speculative commentary at the end.
"Unfortunately Kaz Hirai's comments in the recent GameSpot interview regarding PLAYSTATION 3 production were misunderstood. We are still on schedule to ship 2 million units for our mid-November 2006 launch and additional 2 million units by the end of the year for a total of 4 million units," said a Sony spokesperson.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153007

well, at least thats some good news... ^^

4M by year end is a decent number... assuming they can actually reach that goal...

Microsoft didn't make the first 360 until 69 days before launch, so that gives you some perspective. Sony is still ahead of where MS was this time last year.

If Sony's recent setbacks with Blu-Ray are any indication of what could be happening with the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some very serious shortages if they even release the thing when they say they will.

To me it doesn't really matter though. They're charging more than anyone for their hardware and I've seen enough quotes by many of their executives spewing out such arrogant comments that I wouldn't buy a PS3 at launch regardless of the price. They don't seem to have any real exclusive features with their hardware so until they can come out with multiple AAA games that I can't get on any other sytem, I won't even consider buying a PS3.

Sony doesn't manufacture the unit components, their suppliers do. And I am quite certain that their suppliers have been busy bee's getting the parts ready and stock-piled for the final assembly, which take no time at all. I'm betting that Sony will be putting the wrapping paper and bows on them a week before they get shipped through their distribution lines.

Erasmus354 said:
Microsoft didn't make the first 360 until 69 days before launch, so that gives you some perspective. Sony is still ahead of where MS was this time last year.

Hang on, 69 days is 2 months and a bit... if Sony is releasing in November then technically to beat MS they have 11 days to start building them.... I think you might be overstating "ahead". Am I missing something or does my math add up?

Psychotext said:
Hang on, 69 days is 2 months and a bit... if Sony is releasing in November then technically to beat MS they have 11 days to start building them.... I think you might be overstating "ahead". Am I missing something or does my math add up?

Sony is already "making" PS3s. They are just stress testing and perfecting the manufacturing process before actually ramping up the production models. You dont want to start cranking out the retail models only to later find out that someone along the line you have a serious flaw.

Erasmus354 said:
Sony is already "making" PS3s. They are just stress testing and perfecting the manufacturing process before actually ramping up the production models. You dont want to start cranking out the retail models only to later find out that someone along the line you have a serious flaw.

This is different to what MS did somehow? Not being argumentative, just seems like we're talking about the same thing.

Back