PS3 Plus new HD = No reinstall?

Mac[X-D]

[H]ard|Gawd
So to go along with GT5 Prologue, i decided i was going to replace the 40GB drive in my PS3.

So ipicked up a new 160GB Fujitsu drive, the new drive is in the same model series as the 40GB just bigger.

So after reading the instructions on how to swap drives i get everything ready, i dl the 2.30 update just incase and put it on a usb drive, plus i have the disk that came with the PS3 ready at hand, i swap out the old hd for the new hd reconnect everything turn the power on, turn on my PS3 without the usb drive plugged in to my PS3, the system asks me to format the new drive so i do, it restarts and BAM nothing has changed my account, user info and settings were all the same, the only thing i wasn't happy about was that it is only seeing 149GB of the new drive, with GT5 installed and a couple race replays saved its says i have 125 of 149GB

i know the firware and what not is all hardware related and embeded but doesn't the core os if thats what its called need to be reinstalled?

i am guessing not because everything is working fine, GT5 installed and plays perfect.

i just would have thought that, i would have had to reinstall something, so is this normal or did something really flukie happen?

Internal memory is a nice thing.......

I ran into the same thing you did (probably everyone else who has upgraded their HD) and it was surprisingly simple to do.

Internal memory is a nice thing.......

I ran into the same thing you did (probably everyone else who has upgraded their HD) and it was surprisingly simple to do.

yea no kidding, it took all of 10 mins to do and without having to reinstall a bunch of stuff made it the better hardware upgrade i think i have ever done. backed up all my save game stuff onto a usb drive, all except R6V2 which i know have to sart again, thnx ubisoft for not allowing back ups.

Yea, was quite simple. I just used a USB key to back up my info. Only snag I had is it didn't ask me to format on boot. It asked for a copy of firmware 2.2 or whatever it was at the time. Was easily resolved by downloading and copying the firmware to a usb key. Was odd because the latest firmware was installed before I swapped drives. After it installed the firmware I was able to reformat and the get all my settings I saved previously.

Mac[X-D];1032374032 said:
i know the firware and what not is all hardware related and embeded but doesn't the core os if thats what its called need to be reinstalled?

The firmware is the os.

MS, Sony and Nintendo all put the OS on internal memory. With MS it's a necessity since you don't have to have a hard drive with the 360, but either way it allows really fast bootups, which is very important for consoles...

Back