PS3/PC Display Suggestions

Karant

Gawd
Whats going on [H] crew? I'm hoping you guys can help me out and let me know of some suggestions on a 22"+ LCD display for my PS3/PC, both of which are mainly used for gaming. I will be buying new and am also planning on mounting it onto my wall, so if anyone has any input, please let me know! I'm a complete newb as far as displays go, thank-you!

I have learnt to hate Acer, thanks for the suggestion although do any more reputable brands offer what I am looking for?

Here's a selection of Asus LCD monitors with 1920 x 1080 resolution:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

I bought the Asus VK246H last Christmas as an auxiliary monitor for my HTPC when it was on sale. It's a TN panel monitor, but what do you expect at such a low price point? The VW246H is the same exact monitor, but $10 cheaper and lacks the 1.3mp camera (big deal).

I wrote an extensive review of the VK246H over at Tomshardware.com, you can do a search there for "Asus VK246H Review" in the Flat Panel / LCD section which should help narrow things down.I can't provide a direct link since I cannot access Tomshardware.com from work.

Overall, for the price it is a good monitor for nearly everyone unless you have a critical eye (like me). Backlight bleeding, viewing angles, color shifting are typical of TN panels in general. I tested Fallout 3 on the monitor and I noted that it has lower input lag than my NEC 2690WUXi (average input lag of 32ms), I would probably peg it at no more than 16ms (or 1FPS).

In case you're gonna watch movies, the Asus should be fine. The only situation where I saw some major artifacts issues was in The Dark Knight scene where the Joker blows up the hospital, you could see the black smoke was made up of pixelated black boxes. This is not an issue specific to Asus, but in fact would appear on any monitor that uses a TN panel. There were other scenes in that movie with more subtle artifacts that most people would probably not notice (again due to TN panel technology).

It has has matte screen instead of glossy if that matter to you. The stand is plastic and attaching it to monitor creates a "SNAP" sound almost like something breaking since it was kinda loud. But eveything was fine, nothing broke.

Since you perfer to mount the monitor, the VK246H (and presumably the VW246H) is VESA compatible.

Back