PS3 owners: Do you have your console laying down or standing upwards?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
as the title says...

just wondering what the current PS3 owners think when it comes to which way they have their consoles setup? laying down or standing up?

also........ does anyone think either way would provide better cooling or not really?

Laying down. Though it might be better standing up because heat rises and the head comes out of the right side and the back of the PS3. The reason I don't is because I can't stand up any console in my specific entertainment stand unless I were to put it on the carpet. Which would be a bad idea. ;)

I stand mine up. Its too big and I think it looks ugly laying down (BBQ Grill).

JohnleMVP said:
I stand mine up. Its too big and I think it looks ugly laying down (BBQ Grill).

I totally agree. I have mine up and it looks sleeker than laying flat.

I have my on its side because it wont fit standing up on my component rack.

Once I get things cleared up for a special spot for it it will be standing up, for now it's sideways on a little wooden table. I really haven't been getting much heat from mine, not even on the bottom, I had it running at 2am, no noise, it's a stealthy machine. Currently I am having it lay flat because I am not too sold on having cds rotate at high speeds on a vertical orientation. No scratches on any disk so far, have you guys heard of any ps3 scratching cd's like the 360?

ellover009 said:
Once I get things cleared up for a special spot for it it will be standing up, for now it's sideways on a little wooden table. I really haven't been getting much heat from mine, not even on the bottom, I had it running at 2am, no noise, it's a stealthy machine. Currently I am having it lay flat because I am not too sold on having cds rotate at high speeds on a vertical orientation. No scratches on any disk so far, have you guys heard of any ps3 scratching cd's like the 360?

I havent heard of any issues at all, at leasto n the official playstation forums where you would first hear complaints. Heat doesnt seem to be a big issue either.

FoolOnTheHill said:
How does this make a difference? :confused:

I would assume that since it is going againt gravity on a vertical position gravity would put more force on the side of the disk that is spinning down, while going up it struggles a little more, it's an uneven force, at least having it horizontal keeps the gravitational force even. With the size of the unit revelant to everything else it is not a worry, there is something about having the power distribuited equally.

I've got mine laying flat currently. I do have a bit of room to stand it up on my TV stand, but it is too close to the edge, and I don't want it to fall. Also, I don't trust the stability, I would want to buy a stand if I were to permanently stand it up.

I have to lay it down because the stand for my TV doesn't even have enough room for the Wii to be vertical.

Ozzie why no poll? Seems like a great poll question.

Mine is fully erect and the only part of the PS3 that I have ever touched with my human skin
is the eject(ulation) button. I am trying to keep it fingerprint free.

ellover009 said:
I would assume that since it is going againt gravity on a vertical position gravity would put more force on the side of the disk that is spinning down, while going up it struggles a little more, it's an uneven force, at least having it horizontal keeps the gravitational force even. With the size of the unit revelant to everything else it is not a worry, there is something about having the power distribuited equally.

The force of gravity on a CD is insignificant at best.

The problem the 360 has is when the unit is moved from vertical to horizontal or vice versa. This problem isn't caused by gravity, but by conservation of angular momentum. It causes the disc to tilt and scratch against the laser. This can be prevented by having some soft pads against the top of the DVD case that prevent the disc from tilting enough to hit the laser (www.llama.com).

Depending upon the construction of the Blu-Ray drive the PS3 may or may not have the same problem. Neither console is immune to the laws of physics, it just depends whether or not Sony put the time and effort into the engineering to get it right. Judging by the rest of the hardware, I am leaning towards them not having the same problem as the 360. The hardware engineering on the PS3 is pretty impressive, even if Sony managed to seriously drop the ball in every other department.

mentok1982 said:
Ozzie why no poll? Seems like a great poll question.

Mine is fully erect and the only part of the PS3 that I have ever touched with my human skin
is the eject(ulation) button. I am trying to keep it fingerprint free.
:eek:...

The console is a hell of a lot more aesthetically pleasing when it's vertical, but I'm not quite sure that my tv stand can accomodate it.

There's room on the sides, but I don't want to risk it falling over.

are there felt pads on both sides of the ps3? is it easy to slide around, especially on a glass surface?

There are rubber pads on the left side for standing up, and on the bottom for laying horizontal. My ps3 is on a glass surface and it never slides around.

Vertical next to my vertical 360.

Takes less space on my desk like this and for the PS3, I think it looks better like that.

Mine's also vertical. It just squeezes in on the floor next to my receiver/vcr/computer tower. Not only that but it looks better. The sucker collects dust like no other though and you can definitly tell.

It's weird, I went to a friends house and asked him how he does to keep the dust off, he doesn't. He has an electrostatic air cleaner, it also takes care of the dust issue in the area. Can anyone else vouch for that technology?

It's weird, I went to a friends house and asked him how he does to keep the dust off, he doesn't. He has an electrostatic air cleaner, it also takes care of the dust issue in the area. Can anyone else vouch for that technology?

electrostatic air cleaner? sounds cool but at the same time that doesnt sound safe for electronics. :p I'd like to know more about that as well.

electrostatic air cleaner? sounds cool but at the same time that doesnt sound safe for electronics. :p I'd like to know more about that as well.

the are negative ion air cleaners.

laying down, thing fires off soo much heat though, is there anyway I can mod it? Will I void the warranty? :-S

laying down, thing fires off soo much heat though, is there anyway I can mod it? Will I void the warranty? :-S

Well Nyko is coming out with the PS3 Intercooler later this month, so there's always that...

As for my PS3, it's laying down because I have nowhere to put it on it's side, although I'd like to.

Vertical next to my vertical 360.

Takes less space on my desk like this and for the PS3, I think it looks better like that.

Same here, except my 360 and PS3 are on tile floor instead of a cramped space to stay cooler.

Back