PS3 Owners: 2 big questions

AuxNuke

Gawd
I'm looking to purchase a PS3 to replace an aging PS2 and also act as a media center. 2 Questions I have:

1) Does the PS3 act as a LocationFree player? Meaning can you use the PS3 to stream video to a PSP across the internet? I know this was "rumored" to be a feature but I wanted to hear first hand from someone that has it.

2) Another rumor here... can you download and play PS1 games on the PS3? Can they be transferred and played on the PSP?

Thanks in advance for your time.
~Aux

AuxNuke said:
I'm looking to purchase a PS3 to replace an aging PS2 and also act as a media center. 2 Questions I have:

1) Does the PS3 act as a LocationFree player? Meaning can you use the PS3 to stream video to a PSP across the internet? I know this was "rumored" to be a feature but I wanted to hear first hand from someone that has it.

2) Another rumor here... can you download and play PS1 games on the PS3? Can they be transferred and played on the PSP?

~Aux

I cant answer #1 but i have heard that as well.

#2 is a fact, i havent seen any ps1 games available yet but they are coming very very soon.

I believe they are implementing downloadable ps1 games for psp as well as ps3 via the web. I remember reading something in the 3.00 update for psp.

I think there are already about 10 PS1 games up for download for the PSP.

Not sure on these, but just letting you guys know the ps2 chip it has built in still is region coded, can't play US games on the JP system, nor JP games on the US system. was a minor annoyance.

I can tell you these answers just from reading Kotaku and joystiq everyday while bored at work...
Number 1 is: rumored but not confirmed, and is not a feature at this time.

Number 2 is: You download the games via the PS3 Marketplace, and they play on your PSP. They have to be transferred wirelessly at this time, as far as I know. There have been reports of people in Japan playing them off memory stick.

Eventually, with a soon to be released update, you will play them on the PS3, just not yet...

for right now, the remote play can only be used in ad-hoc mode. supposedly a future firmware update allow true anywhere accessibility. but for right now u'd need the $600 ps3 and a psp to be able to stream media

if you make a japanese ps3 account, you can see ps1 games already available for the psp to buy and download. This bodes well for something happening soon in the NA, my guess would be december. Sometime after christmas you will be able to take those downloaded ps1 games from your psp and continue to play them on the ps3.

Thanks for the info. These downloadable games, are they published by sony? Or will their be titles from other developers, ie: sqaure enix. Thanks!

~Aux

The PSP can definitely access the video and music from the PS3 wirelessly similar to a location free player. You just setup a connection in your PSP that accesses the PS3 as the access point, the PS3 has a menu option that allows you to setup the access point options, called Remote Play. When the connection is established it acts like using PCAnywhere on a PC remotely, it puts up a black screen on the PS3 telling you it being remotely controlled via PSP. The PSP display shows the Cross Media Bar from the PS3 on its screen and you access the video and audio by navigating on the PSP.

As was already mentioned there are no PS1 games available in North America right now, but since Japan has them we can hope they will be here soon.

AuxNuke said:
Thanks for the info. These downloadable games, are they published by sony? Or will their be titles from other developers, ie: sqaure enix. Thanks!

~Aux
There will be games from various developers available but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the initial releases were developed by Sony.

the_bear said:
The PSP can definitely access the video and music from the PS3 wirelessly similar to a location free player. You just setup a connection in your PSP that accesses the PS3 as the access point, the PS3 has a menu option that allows you to setup the access point options, called Remote Play. When the connection is established it acts like using PCAnywhere on a PC remotely, it puts up a black screen on the PS3 telling you it being remotely controlled via PSP. The PSP display shows the Cross Media Bar from the PS3 on its screen and you access the video and audio by navigating on the PSP.

As was already mentioned there are no PS1 games available in North America right now, but since Japan has them we can hope they will be here soon.
Remote play sounds interesting... but I guess I'm looking for the full blown location free functionality. I want to toss a bunch of videos onto the PS3 at home, fire up my PSP at work / friends house / any place with wi-fi, and be able to watch those videos on my PSP just like with sony's LF-B20 .

no but u can access the multimedia files on ur ps3 but i think u need to copy them to ur psp memory card

~Aux

I don't own a PS3, but I do know the answers to your questions :)

1. No, PS3 is not a Location Free player. Rumors are that such a functionality may be added down the road, nothing is confirmed. You can get that with your PC *today* though, with free software from www.orb.com and www.weezo.com. Either solution is quick and easy to setup and will deliver your goods in the format you want.

2. PS1 games you download can be transferred to PSP to play but cannot be played on PS3 itself. Again, this is something rumored to be coming but no dates are confirmed yet.

I have a JAP PS3, with a US account, though I live in the UK :)
I can confirm that there are PS1 games available in the Playstation Store, though I can't remember what games they had but nothing too existing.

There is a "Remote Play" feature on the PS3 which allows you to play music, stream videos, view photo and surf the internet on your PSP. It using the PS3 as a server and the PSP becomes a powerful remote with a display.
Quite a cool feature, shame you can't play games using the remote play.
There is a video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYGH_PSVAmQ

Hope that answers your questions.

Back